follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Starting issues after clutch install.

Hey all just got a quick question to see if anyone possibly had an idea. So just finished up on installing a new flywheel, clutch fork and pivot into the car. Second time I’ve done transmission work on it. Got everything back together fine, started up the very first time no issues at all to test everything out and it started up and worked fine. Parked it double checked around for stuff noticed the two wires on top of the trans weren’t plugged in so I plugged them in. Went to start the car up again after and nothing. No crank no start no clicks. Only similar issues that sounds like this is the clutch switch going bad causing the car not to start. I’m going to order one and go from there. But if anyone has some insight go ahead and let me know!!! Thank you
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itzaustin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Loose battery terminal?

Two plugs on top of the trans are for switches I think -- reverse switch and one other.

edit: other is neutral switch.

Last edited by e1_griego; 01-18-2021 at 12:42 AM.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
You should be able to test the clutch switch with a multimeter easily. Seems too coincident with the work you just did. I'd lean more towards something in/around the transmission tunnel

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzaustin View Post
Hey all just got a quick question to see if anyone possibly had an idea. So just finished up on installing a new flywheel, clutch fork and pivot into the car. Second time I’ve done transmission work on it. Got everything back together fine, started up the very first time no issues at all to test everything out and it started up and worked fine. Parked it double checked around for stuff noticed the two wires on top of the trans weren’t plugged in so I plugged them in. Went to start the car up again after and nothing. No crank no start no clicks. Only similar issues that sounds like this is the clutch switch going bad causing the car not to start. I’m going to order one and go from there. But if anyone has some insight go ahead and let me know!!! Thank you
Bubba suggests to unplug those two wires -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Quote:
Is it possible you plugged those two wires in the wrong place (reversed the connections?). Maybe swap the wires and see if you still have the same issue(s)?
czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
Is it possible you plugged those two wires in the wrong place (reversed the connections?). Maybe swap the wires and see if you still have the same issue(s)?
The plugs are keyed differently. You would have to go in there and cut the tabs off the plug to make them interchange.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The plugs are keyed differently. You would have to go in there and cut the tabs off the plug to make them interchange.
I figured, I was looking for some spec sheets/docs to prove it.. pictures of the harness on ebay etc its hard to tell.

Next thing I would try it disconnecting the battery, and re-seating those connections, then reconnecting the battery and trying...
Old 01-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
I figured, I was looking for some spec sheets/docs to prove it.. pictures of the harness on ebay etc its hard to tell.

Next thing I would try it disconnecting the battery, and re-seating those connections, then reconnecting the battery and trying...
I just went out and looked at my spare trans to verify. Black plug has tab on left(looking at trans from the front), brown plug has tab on the right.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Yea tried unplugging those again that were off prior to the issues and there is no change in starting, as well as disconnecting battery re seating them and then trying again. The one thing that just throws me off is the fact that it started once already, and then it won’t start again. When I hit the push to start the console screen as well as my gauges turn off and back on as if it was actually starting like normal.
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Yea tried unplugging those again that were off prior to the issues and there is no change in starting, as well as disconnecting battery re seating them and then trying again. The one thing that just throws me off is the fact that it started once already, and then it won’t start again. When I hit the push to start the console screen as well as my gauges turn off and back on as if it was actually starting like normal.
Have you checked or jumped the clutch switch?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
czellers

Quote:
So, have you tried unplugging those two and trying to start it again while leaving them unplugged (same circumstance as when it started the first time?)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sounds like dead battery?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote