follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Sgt.Beardface
OMOH O2

Drives: Midget Women Crazy!!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry TWM Performance Short Shift kit warning!!

I'm not sure that this is exactly the place to put this but here we go anyways. I bought the TWM SS kit last week. Nothing against just wanted to try something different that I had only read about. Fool me once completed, because its true. The kit showed up today and I moved forward with the install which is hella easy as everyone know. Fool me twice; done. See EDIT!! However what they failed to mention is that their still needs work!! Okay this third one is on you TWM (me. See Edit)

The reverse lockout plate (which has a nylon plate screwed too it) just doesnt work well at all. Due to the plate the bend for actual lockout is not the right angle. Which cause the reverse lockout collar to slip off the top and bind itself making getting out of reverse a bitch. And the screw holes have almost no play in them meaning that it's impossible to move any further to the passengers side.

Now to my absolute favorite thing about this kit. I now get the wonderful feeling of driving without a shift knob until my (theirs) new one shows up. And even with that I am not sure it will work. The collar at the top of the reverse lockout collar prevents the use of the stock shift knob or the STI delrin shift knob my buddy gave me. From looking at it I believe maybe TWM's own shift knob in certain configurations or something like a flossy may work. I would have been fine had I known this up front and could have prepared now I'm just screwed (See EDIT).

This isn't me bashing a company or their product. This is strictly my results with that company's product. I figured I could maybe warn a person or two before there is anyone else with screw prints in their palms. If I had to do this all over again (which may not be to far off) I would go Kartboy and never give any other companies a second look. I will do an actual review and such (with pics) when a knob is finally found that I can use. Guess I'm gonna go call this wonderful customer service line for the 5th time today without any success.........

-Chuck

EDIT: okay so looks like this is my fault. I located an email in my "JUNK" (spam) folder from them warning me about the issue. It says they tried calling me but I'm guessing it was while I was sleeping (during the day) as I always cut my phone off. I'm sorry that I misplaced the blame on this one. I will be calling some more tomorrow to get this worked out. I'm very sorry to TWM for posting this as their fault!!

-Chuck

Last edited by Sgt.Beardface; 04-19-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: 'Cuz I'm stupid!!
Sgt.Beardface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
In my past experiences short shift kits are a bad idea. A gimmick mod if you will. It makes makes you shift harder with harder engagements. And once a transmission builder told me it will shorten the life of your syncros. And your warranty.

Last edited by charged86; 04-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.
charged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charged86 For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (04-18-2013), rice_classic (04-25-2013), SloS14 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks for the update, glad I went with the Kartboy

I concidered the TWM for about 30 seconds, but he kinda screwed himself here in his thread about shifter availability and unanswered pm's. Not too mention poor customer service with other members that had bought with the understanding it was readily available
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
tisb0b

Drives: Grey GT86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
In my past experiences short shift kits are a bad idea. A gimmick mod if you will. It makes makes you shift harder with harder engagements. And once a transmission builder told me it will shorten the life of your syncros. And you warranty.
I did my own research on this and as far as I can tell as long as you are ensuring you are shifting properly there shouldn't be any long term problems with installing a SS kit.
tisb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Gaining .3 milliseconds gonna help that much?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
njccmd2002
Toyota Freak

Drives: Whiteout FRS
they contacted me, and told me there is a fix on its way. the kit u got was made to use their shift knobs, and they are sending me a replacement part to use the stock knob.

have you called them. I got their phone call the same day i receivd the package...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
tisb0b

Drives: Grey GT86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope but not every mod has to be governed by performance. I just want a shorter throw which is why I'm looking at getting one.
tisb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
To each their own, but I found the stock configuration to be exceptionally short. Not sure I could find the gears with a short shifter. You're really messing with the leverage at that point.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Sgt.Beardface
OMOH O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by njccmd2002 View Post
they contacted me, and told me there is a fix on its way. the kit u got was made to use their shift knobs, and they are sending me a replacement part to use the stock knob.

have you called them. I got their phone call the same day i receivd the package...
I have tried calling them and cannot get ahold of anyone. I have a knob on the way. Hopefully it gets here soon and we can see how it works. Btw did you have the problem with the reverse lockout plate?

I calls her Mrs. Lohan LIKE A SIR!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
njccmd2002
Toyota Freak

Drives: Whiteout FRS
no i have not installed it yet. they called me the same day package arrived... and told me the issues beforehand...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Beardface View Post
I have tried calling them and cannot get ahold of anyone. I have a knob on the way. Hopefully it gets here soon and we can see how it works. Btw did you have the problem with the reverse lockout plate?
Email them: rma@twmperformance.com

You should have customer service communications in writing anyway...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Sgt.Beardface
OMOH O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Email them: rma@twmperformance.com

You should have customer service communications in writing anyway...
Good call. Thanks. I hope it goes good because I really want to like this. And I don't mind the issue I just wish it had been known upfront. The shifts feel very crisp and it is made well. The fitment issues are my only peave.

-Chuck

I calls her Mrs. Lohan LIKE A SIR!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm happy with my kart boy kit. It's not about reducing shift time as much as improving the aesthetic of shifting. It's why I'm reducing my tire width on my next set of autocross tires. Seeking happiness in driving.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a little disappointed and very surprised. My prior experience w twm was fantastic. My last forum had nothing but good things to say. I hope they fix this for you. It sucks when you go to improve something something and it goes wrong

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shift, shift kit, shifter, short, twm