follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #81159
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Another thing is that you being in CA, don't know how far, if you already own ECUTEK, why not schedule an apt with CSG?
Quote:
Yeah been there done that with him via TRL and it's a long story that some of the guys here have heard basically ad nauseum but I refuse to give them anymore of my money.
:/
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #81160
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
:/

Hey Im relatively new on this forum lol, so I don't know the whole backstory.
spike021 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #81161
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Im relatively new on this forum lol, so I don't know the whole backstory.
Haha no worries.

I guess the tl;dr is I had TRL/Zach do the tune via CSG 2 years ago. About a month in had bad misfires. Had two different shops check spark plugs, cylinders, leak test, etc. Nobody could figure out the issue. Had TRL remove headers, "flash back to stock". Issue kept happening for a few more months. Had another local shop attempt checking the tune again and re-flashing the stock tune or whatever from Ecutek and since then no problems.

TRL/Zach refused to help at all, blamed me, said I brought in a car with problems already for the tune (I'm not that dumb), said I was using a used/old DT Flex Fuel kit (I got it brand new from Mike @ CSG but nobody believed me even with proof).

It got super heated in the forum "review" thread for a couple of months in late 2019.

Anyway if you want more details you can PM me lol.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #81162
spcmafia

Quote:
Haha no worries.

I guess the tl;dr is I had TRL/Zach do the tune via CSG 2 years ago. About a month in had bad misfires. Had two different shops check spark plugs, cylinders, leak test, etc. Nobody could figure out the issue. Had TRL remove headers, "flash back to stock". Issue kept happening for a few more months. Had another local shop attempt checking the tune again and re-flashing the stock tune or whatever from Ecutek and since then no problems.

TRL/Zach refused to help at all, blamed me, said I brought in a car with problems already for the tune (I'm not that dumb), said I was using a used/old DT Flex Fuel kit (I got it brand new from Mike @ CSG but nobody believed me even with proof).

It got super heated in the forum "review" thread for a couple of months in late 2019.

Anyway if you want more details you can PM me lol.

Gotcha, well that sucks. I always heard such good things from them and thought about getting the Bluetooth tune set up. I m just to scared to mess with OFT and other parameters I'm not familiar at all with.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #81163
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Gotcha, well that sucks. I always heard such good things from them and thought about getting the Bluetooth tune set up. I m just to scared to mess with OFT and other parameters I'm not familiar at all with.
My mantra when getting started: "It's just another machine".

It might also help to be responsible for multimillion-dollar equipment at work every day...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #81164
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
My mantra when getting started: "It's just another machine".

It might also help to be responsible for multimillion-dollar equipment at work every day...

I mean yeah, is just another tablet, but when it comes to mess with parameters that affect fuel and what not, things can go wrong really quick. I'm going to give it a try, but as a you know, Im going to be doing a lot of research.
Spuds (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #81165
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I mean yeah, is just another tablet, but when it comes to mess with parameters that affect fuel and what not, things can go wrong really quick. I'm going to give it a try, but as a you know, Im going to be doing a lot of research.
Flashing back is fairly simple if you screw up, it is a good idea to keep the previous tune and current tune on the oft so you can revert if necessary. I usually log immediately to make sure things look normalish. I have messed up and made a negative value a positive before or mistyped a field. It rears it's head quick via messed up fuel trim or dropping IAM. Modern ECU's are pretty damn good at compensating so it is not likely to cause harm if you notice it in a reasonable amount of time.
soundman98 (10-15-2021), spcmafia (10-14-2021), Spuds (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #81166
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
By "machine", I meant the car lol.

That's the ticket!
Old 10-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #81167
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does random feelings apply to random thoughts? Been feeling very nostalgic since yesterday. Not really sure why.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #81168
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Flashing back is fairly simple if you screw up, it is a good idea to keep the previous tune and current tune on the oft so you can revert if necessary. I usually log immediately to make sure things look normalish. I have messed up and made a negative value a positive before or mistyped a field. It rears it's head quick via messed up fuel trim or dropping IAM. Modern ECU's are pretty damn good at compensating so it is not likely to cause harm if you notice it in a reasonable amount of time.
When people talk about logging pulls from third gear. Does that mean from a full stop, or, under 2500RPM shift 1st and 2nd and then from 2500RPM in 3rd, redline?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #81169
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
When people talk about logging pulls from third gear. Does that mean from a full stop, or, under 2500RPM shift 1st and 2nd and then from 2500RPM in 3rd, redline?
Usually I do 2500-3k to redline 3rd gear full throttle.
Spuds (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #81170
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
A somewhat level highway on-ramp at 1am is your friend.

Also, you'll get good answers in the technical topics too.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #81171
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I have heard great things about him. The only issue I'd be concerned with (which I guess is still the case if I try OFT) is that if I have issues again like the last time then the tuner won't be local and if I bring a car to a shop to get it checked out they won't know what the tune changed. .

Flash the car back to stock and get it running right first. The basic bolt-on's in your build thread aren't going to prevent the stock rom from working. That removes any doubt that it is tune related. Pop some pump gas back in it and start there. Then contact James. Depending on if CGS's file is locked or not, he may even be able to take a look at it.

FWIW if the car ran right and then all then 1 month later had issues without a tune being changed or updated then it is likely not software. Spark, fuel and air...

Used DTC's to know where to start looking. Check the plug and coil. Have spark? Great time to look at air and fuel. Check AFR to see if you have an issue in that department. If fuel, start and the injector and work back to the tank. If air, start and the intake and work towards the engine.

James doesn't do locked ecu tunes. So anyone with ecutec and a laptop can look at the files and correct things if needed be it local or not... if your the learning type you can even give it a go. A large process of me understanding this platform was watching his revisions and seeing what he changed in the updates between the 13+ files we did making my first one purr.

Looking at data is a valuable skill in determining where to start a diagnosis, something ecutek offers by the truck load. Go to the library if you have to and get some free books on ecu tuning.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #81172
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Does random feelings apply to random thoughts? Been feeling very nostalgic since yesterday. Not really sure why.
Yup. In scope.

Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis