follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #533
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I think he is just gonna do brakes and suspension, and tires. Time is the problem. I cant take on a build project.
Do not boost his new car. I've said it for years, but the sweet spot for these cars is wheels/tires/brakes/FBO w/ E85 Tune. In the real world, with geriatric Corvette and Porsche drivers clogging up the tracks, a well driven BRZ/GR86 has the ability to keep up with almost every normal car you see at your average HPDE.

P.S. Your content is epic. Let me know if you want to review a 250 whp NB2 Miata. Near Palatine, IL area.
DAEMANO (09-23-2021), Dezoris (09-21-2021), knapper (09-22-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #534
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
If the 2nd gen platform with header and E85 tune has the same potential as the 1st gen, then this car will be a beast. Just hope Subaru didn't add additional security to the engine ECU and made it difficult to access the tuning tables.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #535
AFBDA

Drives: 10th Anniversary SE MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Track bRed. You?

I had a chance to personally view the prototype that's been making its rounds around Canada. It looks amazing in person and its a red unlike any red Toyota has used - ever.

My sales guy said I could change anything once they confirm the orders are being processed though... I have a 2 week window once they know.

Track bRed for me too. Hopefully when Toyota releases their configurator I can put some add-ons/accessories into my existing order.

I'm a bit annoyed that there seems to be an early adopter's tax (e.g. no performance package) but there's also an opportunity cost to waiting another year. Especially since waiting doesn't guarantee these options will be available anyway.

I'm hoping I'll get the vehicle this year but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be nice to get the break-in over with during the winter so that when I put summer tires on in the spring I will be good to go.
AFBDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #536
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
a lot of keyboard dyno experts all up in here

Or we have just seen enough stock car dyno charts to say it doesn't look right. Pretty easy to go to google and type in "stock brz/frs/GT86 dyno chart," click on images, and gander for yourself.
DarkSunrise (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #537
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
nah, i'd rather enjoy my coffee.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #538
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBDA View Post
Track bRed for me too. Hopefully when Toyota releases their configurator I can put some add-ons/accessories into my existing order.

I'm a bit annoyed that there seems to be an early adopter's tax (e.g. no performance package) but there's also an opportunity cost to waiting another year. Especially since waiting doesn't guarantee these options will be available anyway.

I'm hoping I'll get the vehicle this year but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be nice to get the break-in over with during the winter so that when I put summer tires on in the spring I will be good to go.
Trueno Blue also interested me but the photos online seem to vary wildly.

You want to drive it during winter? I'd actually defer my pickup till after winter or when there's a break OR get it towed to my shop for PPF and ceramic coating.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #539
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
nah, i'd rather enjoy my coffee.
That's what I am doing now. I got a cookie too.
Dzmitry (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #540
AFBDA

Drives: 10th Anniversary SE MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Trueno Blue also interested me but the photos online seem to vary wildly.

You want to drive it during winter? I'd actually defer my pickup till after winter or when there's a break OR get it towed to my shop for PPF and ceramic coating.

I liked Trueno Blue a lot as a colour but I didn't think it suited the car that well in the few images I could find. In particular I didn't think there was enough contrast with the black front grille.

I haven't bothered to figure out what I will do with delivery yet since I don't know for sure I'll even get it before spring. But I have underground parking in my downtown condo and have the luxury of not driving unless the roads are plowed. Getting it home from the dealer ~2km away is going to be the challenge.

You put both ceramic and PPF? What's the advantage of using both and where in Toronto can I get this done?
AFBDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #541
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
I liked Trueno Blue a lot as a colour but I didn't think it suited the car that well in the few images I could find. In particular I didn't think there was enough contrast with the black front grille.

I haven't bothered to figure out what I will do with delivery yet since I don't know for sure I'll even get it before spring. But I have underground parking in my downtown condo and have the luxury of not driving unless the roads are plowed. Getting it home from the dealer ~2km away is going to be the challenge.

You put both ceramic and PPF? What's the advantage of using both and where in Toronto can I get this done?
On my S2k, I cheaped out a little and only did ceramic coating but even then, it was one of the best things I ever did because it made upkeep SO much easier and it looked great and OPR (other peoples rubber) on track was easy to clean off.

Yes, you can put PPF and then ceramic coat over it. I took my S2k to Kaval at Make It Shine up in Woodbridge. He does amazing work and while not the cheapest, you won't regret it.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (11-23-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #542
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
PPF is good but it's a wear item.
Be prepared to replace the bumper film every few years.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #543
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
PPF is good but it's a wear item.
Be prepared to replace the bumper film every few years.
As is ceramic coating which is usually 5 years.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 09-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #544
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Perhaps the FA24 still actually outputs the same 100-102.5 HP per liter as the FA20. This would give 246 HP, which is closer to the dyno. It only requires them to slightly de-rate the torque at high RPMs, giving them an on-paper peak torque at lower RPM the way marketing needs.

Yeah, yeah, I know they claimed to have had breathing issues in high RPM and it's obviously not that easy to preserve specific output in the bored engine, but I can hope, can't I?
It doesn't work like this. Torque falls as you said on a bigger engine in higher RPMs, because of breathing issues. Unless they totally revised the camshaft technology, which I am not aware of it. That is why I am sceptical on the above mentioned dyno numbers. I am sure that more dynos will happen in future and we' ll know for sure.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #545
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It doesn't work like this. Torque falls as you said on a bigger engine in higher RPMs, because of breathing issues. Unless they totally revised the camshaft technology, which I am not aware of it. That is why I am sceptical on the above mentioned dyno numbers. I am sure that more dynos will happen in future and we' ll know for sure.
There's more to it than that though. We have literally no idea how the cylinder head flows. The design of intake plenums also have a huge impact on the torque curve.
stilesg57 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #546
thedollarbill

Drives: 13 ZN6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You PPF it as a physical layer of protection between physical contact of stones or anything that touches it.

You then ceramic coat it as a way of cleaning it easier. It's a common misconception that ceramic coat is some sort of "cheap" ppf.

And yes as others have said, PPF and Ceramic Coating are both wear items and both wear faster the more you drive the car.

instagram: @sllygoos
thedollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote