follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Jpf86

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Troubling STFT after ACE Header install

Hello everyone,

I'm posting because I'm currently having some trouble with my fuel trims after a recent ACE A350 header install and STG 2 tune by Delicious Tuning. Any help/recommendations or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

I recently installed my ACE A350 header/op as well as a drop in K&N air filter. After a few tune revisions from Delicious Tuning, the car feels amazing and seems like it's driving fine, but my data logs say otherwise. Cruising and Idle seem fine, but when I apply throttle, the STFT likes to jump to ~-20-30%. This specifically only happens under throttle, and then the STFTs return to normal. The LTFTs look great, and I think my AFR looks good but I'm new to tuning and reviewing data logs, so maybe I'm mistaken. Has anyone had a similar experience? All bolts on the header seem to be torqued down properly and to the correct torque, MAF looks clean and I don't see any visible exhaust or intake leaks, but it's possible that there's a leak small enough for me to not notice without a smoke test. I've also checked the bolts and ground on the fuel control module and it checks out.
https://datazap.me/u/jf86/ace-a350-s...0&data=3-21-22
Thank you!
Jpf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Please tell me you have talked with Delicious about this before coming here and asking.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2021), Lantanafrs2 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
Jpf86

I have, thanks. They recommended checking my fuel control module for proper ground and ensuring that there aren’t any missing bolts. I checked and everything there looks fine.

I also flashed the ECU back to stock and the same problem exists, leading me to believe it’s a mechanical issue and not related to the tune.

I should also note that I’m getting a lean code P0171 due to the instantaneous jumps in STFT.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jpf86 For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpf86 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm posting because I'm currently having some trouble with my fuel trims after a recent ACE A350 header install and STG 2 tune by Delicious Tuning. Any help/recommendations or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

I recently installed my ACE A350 header/op as well as a drop in K&N air filter. After a few tune revisions from Delicious Tuning, the car feels amazing and seems like it's driving fine, but my data logs say otherwise. Cruising and Idle seem fine, but when I apply throttle, the STFT likes to jump to ~-20-30%. This specifically only happens under throttle, and then the STFTs return to normal. The LTFTs look great, and I think my AFR looks good but I'm new to tuning and reviewing data logs, so maybe I'm mistaken. Has anyone had a similar experience? All bolts on the header seem to be torqued down properly and to the correct torque, MAF looks clean and I don't see any visible exhaust or intake leaks, but it's possible that there's a leak small enough for me to not notice without a smoke test. I've also checked the bolts and ground on the fuel control module and it checks out.
https://datazap.me/u/jf86/ace-a350-s...0&data=3-21-22
Thank you!
How old is the car? Is this the only mod on it?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
Jpf86

The car is only 6 months old so I suspect if there’s a mechanical problem, it occurred during the install. The header/op and drop in air filter are the only mods. I suspected it was an exhaust leak but double checked the torque on the bolts after a few days of driving/logging and they looked good. I was accidentally a little rough on the O2 sensor cables when removing the stock header (the cable was snagged in the engine bay and I didn’t realize) but there’s no visible damage so I don’t want to replace the sensors if my problem isn’t characteristic of a bad sensor/cable.

I haven’t seen any posts from anyone else that shows healthy fuel trims except for STFT under throttle so I’m at a loss. My best guess is that it’s a small leak somewhere that is so small it only leaks under throttle, but I’m hoping someone else has experienced something similar before I start blindly replacing parts. My next step will probably be having a mechanic leak test the intake/exhaust, then replacing O2 sensors if I don’t receive recommendations to try something else first.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2021, 01:02 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Pretty normal for stft to move round a lot on large sharp throttle movenents that normal
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
Dzmitry

Garage
Well there you go, looks like @steve99 has a point. I mean everything else in your log looks perfect, so it makes sense that nothing should be wrong. Are you engaging the throttle fairly quickly as Steve describes?
Old 09-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
Jpf86

Thanks for your reply! I agree that it’s normal for STFT to move around quite a bit under throttle, but it deviates so much that it triggers P0171 and puts traction control on until I clear the code. I’d say that’s definitely not normal, but if it’s not unhealthy then maybe I’ll just have to live with clearing codes every time I drive. It does only happen when I very quickly engage the throttle.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpf86 View Post
Thanks for your reply! I agree that it’s normal for STFT to move around quite a bit under throttle, but it deviates so much that it triggers P0171 and puts traction control on until I clear the code. I’d say that’s definitely not normal, but if it’s not unhealthy then maybe I’ll just have to live with clearing codes every time I drive. It does only happen when I very quickly engage the throttle.
Ah yes, the code... definitely odd. I would blame the tune for missing some small detail, but I would have they have gone over that by now. Maybe shoot for one more revision out of them and see if it solves the issue? I had a weird problem myself for a while that triggered P0171 along with a couple other C-codes (very similar setup to yours). For me, the solution was the tuner updating RaceROM on his end, as mine was up to date. Otherwise we spent a bunch of time trying to find the problem, but couldn't. No codes any longer, so I would bet it's just something funky with the tune. The 2017+ cars have some hiccups from what I've read with the more updated software and tunes.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure all the studs are in place still at the header to OP flange. I did the same- checked torque after a few days, all good. Some unknown time later I lost at least one. Might have been two, or maybe the second was later... Don't even recall.