follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #113
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I will say another thing I find disturbing about Nicholas Wade's article (and a non-trivial number of people consider him just a quack journalist) is that he says there's a big conspiracy or mass denial by the virology community to hide the truth.

He's basically setting up a reverse halo effect among the general population towards researchers. Oh no, researchers are biased, we can't trust any of them! Except there are plenty of researchers who have been opponents of GoF research who still don't think the leak-coverup story is plausible. Not to mention some of the lab-leak proponents have questionable political affiliations themselves.

I really don't think this is the path we want to go down as a society. In the modern world, we have no choice but to trust experts on most things, because there is too much complexity for any person to learn fully. The whole point of public universities, public research, peer reviewed open journals, is so that the process is as open as possible while keeping out people who haven't made the personal investment in gaining enough knowledge. Science can be political and the integrity of research has been a mixed bag, but it is definitely positive information value overall, and I definitely do not want laymen's opinions to be trusted over scientific consensus even when it can be wrong at times (especially in the medical field), because laymen's opinions are usually even more wrong.
I suspect most folks haven't heard of Thucydides much less read about his trap but considering the current drum beats it bears thinking about. The last administration set us on a highly volatile course in relations with China. That administration's minions together with a number of overly credulous, if not sycophantic, journalists are pushing us ever closer to a very dangerous precipice.

And, in doing may be playing into China's hand.
BrahmaBull1990 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #114
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I suspect most folks haven't heard of Thucydides much less read about his trap but considering the current drum beats it bears thinking about. The last administration set us on a highly volatile course in relations with China. That administration's minions together with a number of overly credulous, if not sycophantic, journalists are pushing us ever closer to a very dangerous precipice.

And, in doing may be playing into China's hand.
China's rise to the number one super power has been one which would most certainly happen. But I believe the pandemic and our leaderships' method's of handling it may have improved those odds but a substantial margin.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #115
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
China has been on the rise for decades. Every administration uses them as a talking point but the globalized economy dictates hands off status quo.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #116
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
China has been on the rise for decades. Every administration uses them as a talking point but the globalized economy dictates hands off status quo.
Wrong.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #117
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Somebody fucked up. They cleaned up any possible evidence and no conclusion can ever be made without casting doubt.
Best we can do going forward is use heightened precautions dealing with countries that operate biocontainment labs. Perhaps China can build space stations and land probes on the Moon and beyond. But they can't prevent pandemics exploding from their still unknown source. So there should be regulation put on China to keep a watchful eye there in the future involving experts from outside China.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #118
Lantanafrs2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Somebody fucked up. They cleaned up any possible evidence and no conclusion can ever be made without casting doubt.
Best we can do going forward is use heightened precautions dealing with countries that operate biocontainment labs. Perhaps China can build space stations and land probes on the Moon and beyond. But they can't prevent pandemics exploding from their still unknown source. So there should be regulation put on China to keep a watchful eye there in the future involving experts from outside China.
I wish that were possible.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #119
Lantanafrs2

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...offer-guidance

Oops
Old 06-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #120
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
But they can't prevent pandemics exploding from their still unknown source. So there should be regulation put on China to keep a watchful eye there in the future involving experts from outside China.
The reality is in the age of air travel, no one can prevent pandemics, unless there is somehow a coordinated system where all travel can be shut down worldwide. The Obama administration did much less to control the spread of swine flu for example. It takes a few weeks or months to notice an outbreak, while it takes 12 hours for a disease to fly all the way around the world.

A complete moratorium on GoF research might not be a terrible idea considering the possibility of bioterrorism in the future (my impression is currently, it's very difficult for a rogue actor to cook up viruses since you can't just make DNA sequences however you want yet, but one day machines that do that will become easy to obtain). One step below that would be to confine the research to BSL4 labs and have international safety inspections of all BSL-4 labs.

I kind of expect there to be an international treaty on this signed. If scientists can't publish papers on it, almost all the research will stop since most of it is public research (might continue in military settings, but military control would add extra security safeguards). I know you're already pretty sure who is to blame and what happened but there is certainly a diplomatic way to prevent that hypothetical scenario in the future.

Honestly, speaking as someone kind of familiar with the field, AI has the same problem...the research coming out of FAIR and Google Brain strongly suggests to me that it's possible we're only say 10-20 years away from AGI. If they continue with all their open source research, we're probably screwed. If they start to keep the research private, we're still screwed. You can't really ban research that only takes a few people and some computers to do. The idea that you can have "good guys with AI" to fight "bad guys with AI" is kind of ludicrous, as attacking soft targets is much easier than defending them, and we're not even getting into the situation where the AI decides to turn on its creators.

What I find more terrifying than the idea that this could have been a lab leak is that now there is a precedent for who gets blamed and suspected for such a thing...what if someone decides to plant a virus in the US next time around to make the US look bad? It would be extremely easy to go to a crowded place near a high biosafety level lab and spray some virus in the air. It's clear which countries have the stomach to do proper quarantines and which don't. What if this was planted by the CIA in Wuhan, and now China is planning revenge by planting another mild but infectious disease in the US? (in case it's not clear, I don't think that's likely, because it would do more targeted damage to the US if they just produced evidence that it was a CIA operation, but you can imagine that this is now an option that some people out there are considering)

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-06-2021 at 10:19 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-07-2021), soundman98 (06-06-2021), wbradley (06-28-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #121
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #122
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The reality is in the age of air travel, no one can prevent pandemics, unless there is somehow a coordinated system where all travel can be shut down worldwide. The Obama administration did much less to control the spread of swine flu for example. It takes a few weeks or months to notice an outbreak, while it takes 12 hours for a disease to fly all the way around the world.

A complete moratorium on GoF research might not be a terrible idea considering the possibility of bioterrorism in the future (my impression is currently, it's very difficult for a rogue actor to cook up viruses since you can't just make DNA sequences however you want yet, but one day machines that do that will become easy to obtain). One step below that would be to confine the research to BSL4 labs and have international safety inspections of all BSL-4 labs.

I kind of expect there to be an international treaty on this signed. If scientists can't publish papers on it, almost all the research will stop since most of it is public research (might continue in military settings, but military control would add extra security safeguards). I know you're already pretty sure who is to blame and what happened but there is certainly a diplomatic way to prevent that hypothetical scenario in the future.

Honestly, speaking as someone kind of familiar with the field, AI has the same problem...the research coming out of FAIR and Google Brain strongly suggests to me that it's possible we're only say 10-20 years away from AGI. If they continue with all their open source research, we're probably screwed. If they start to keep the research private, we're still screwed. You can't really ban research that only takes a few people and some computers to do. The idea that you can have "good guys with AI" to fight "bad guys with AI" is kind of ludicrous, as attacking soft targets is much easier than defending them, and we're not even getting into the situation where the AI decides to turn on its creators.

What I find more terrifying than the idea that this could have been a lab leak is that now there is a precedent for who gets blamed and suspected for such a thing...what if someone decides to plant a virus in the US next time around to make the US look bad? It would be extremely easy to go to a crowded place near a high biosafety level lab and spray some virus in the air. It's clear which countries have the stomach to do proper quarantines and which don't. What if this was planted by the CIA in Wuhan, and now China is planning revenge by planting another mild but infectious disease in the US? (in case it's not clear, I don't think that's likely, because it would do more targeted damage to the US if they just produced evidence that it was a CIA operation, but you can imagine that this is now an option that some people out there are considering)
You make it sound as though the US was the sole intended target, just stating the obvious. . So, does that make the world aside from the US collateral damage? And what about all the deaths in China? The only thing an intentional release would accomplish is disrupting EVERYBODY. Not the ideal act of bioterrorism. This looks like an accident or was set up to look like one. Either way, there are much more virulent organisms that would be far quicker and create much more widespread damage such as anthrax. Pretty sure China did not do this intentionally.

It is interesting how the western countries talk about how China inevitably will be the top threat and greatest power eventually, knowing darn well we will continue to pump a huge percentage of our money there as long as they continue to be the cheapest manufacturers of consumer goods. On the other hand there has been a continuous extreme buildup of military bases surrounding China. Not that this has anything to do with the pandemic, but what a strange relationship. We distrust them, we resent their increasing wealth which they acquired by earning our business for years and years, but so long as the price is right we will keep doing business.
It's a free market system we live by, and they have a huge labour pool.
Can't have it both ways.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 06-07-2021 at 06:59 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #123
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
You make it sound as though the US was the sole intended target, just stating the obvious. ... Pretty sure China did not do this intentionally.

We distrust them, we resent their increasing wealth which they acquired by earning our business for years and years, but so long as the price is right we will keep doing business.
We're fully on the same page, I am extremely sure China did not intentionally "let it spread" (common conservative talking point backed up by fake news like "they allowed people to fly internationally during lockdown" when a few charter flights requested by foreign governments were allowed to leave after much warning against it).

Whether some lab worker decided to delete a bunch of records, maybe... But again certain reporting suggesting some certain lab workers disappeared were all debunked (not that it stops some people from insisting on believing it).

As a funny anecdote, in Reno Walmart parking lots, I see a lot of cars proudly advertising the owners' politics...I thought people of that certain political view usually are saying we should not trade with China.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #124
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
We're fully on the same page, I am extremely sure China did not intentionally "let it spread" (common conservative talking point backed up by fake news like "they allowed people to fly internationally during lockdown" when a few charter flights requested by foreign governments were allowed to leave after much warning against it).

Whether some lab worker decided to delete a bunch of records, maybe... But again certain reporting suggesting some certain lab workers disappeared were all debunked (not that it stops some people from insisting on believing it).

As a funny anecdote, in Reno Walmart parking lots, I see a lot of cars proudly advertising the owners' politics...I thought people of that certain political view usually are saying we should not trade with China.
Right?? As Yul Brynner in his role as the King of Siam in The King and I noted, "It is a puzzlement."
Old 06-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #125
serialk11r

Garage
Oh, I noticed you can download all the data that nextstrain uses and also their phylogenetic analysis function. Hmmm...I am starting to get a little curious about finding those December samples from France/Italy/US/etc. and comparing them to see a priori how feasible it is virus actually existed in Italy in September. Eh, too lazy lol.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:14 AM   #126
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
East Asia was hit by another coronavirus epidemic 20,000 years ago, new study shows

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/healt...scn/index.html

Quote:
Over the past 20 years, people have faced a series of outbreaks caused by coronaviruses, including SARS, MERS, and Covid-19. But humans may have faced the disease millennia ago, new research suggests.

A team of researchers from Australia and the United States has found evidence of a coronavirus epidemic that broke out more than 20,000 years ago in East Asia, according to a study published in the Current Biology scientific journal on Thursday.
In the study, the researchers studied the genomes of more than 2,500 people from 26 different populations around the world. They pinpointed the earliest interaction of the human genome with coronaviruses, which left genetic imprints on the DNA of modern-day people in East Asia…