follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #99
RWD_only
Lurks 'n stuff

Drives: 1994 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1:05.946
Driving Force GT
Manual

Sorry for the shitty resolution. The camera on my phone can't focus and I'm playing in 480p
RWD_only is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWD_only For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #100
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Been busy these past few days but I was able to millimeter past @LeeMaster by a thousandth of a second.

We're published as #113 and #114 on the global leaderboard. First time I ever made any leaderboard.

Over a year ago, this forum had monthly GT5 competitions but I don't remember the turnout being this huge. Though I started as the only participant the first few days of this challenge, we ended with 22 joining in. Several came back showing improved times. All showed great effort and participation. Hopefully, we'll see each other at the next challenge! :happy0180:

Last edited by switchlanez; 05-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Koji_Online (04-04-2013), LeeMaster (04-04-2013), Tanuki (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #101
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
We're published as #113 and #114 on the global leaderboard. First time I ever made any leaderboard.
Nice times!

Quote:
Over a year ago, this forum had monthly GT5 competitions
Yeah those competitions were fun, but interest dropped after a couple months (and getting moved to Off Topic was the death knell).

FYI, there's a Nordschleife thread with ~20 times (though the 1st post isn't updated, and no one has participated since last Fall).

Anyway, thanks for posting this. I'd never tried a Seasonal Event, and wouldn't have noticed this one if you hadn't (I dusted off my copy of GT5 and G27 for it).
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #102
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would enjoy continued participation in these.
I bought GT5 for Christmas because it was super cheap for Black Friday.. but never actually opened it until this BRZ thing popped up.

Now I have the itch...

I've always wanted a G25 or G27 wheel and a set of pedals.. but I'm not so sure I want to shell out when there will be a new PS4 coming out by this holiday season.. hmm....
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #103
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
I would enjoy continued participation in these.
I bought GT5 for Christmas because it was super cheap for Black Friday.. but never actually opened it until this BRZ thing popped up.

Now I have the itch...

I've always wanted a G25 or G27 wheel and a set of pedals.. but I'm not so sure I want to shell out when there will be a new PS4 coming out by this holiday season.. hmm....
I had a G27 and higher end gaming chair to bolt it onto. You have to play with all your limbs, rather than fingers, with constant lightning fast reflexes so it's a bit more exhausting. Especially if done repeatedly for hours to improve your times. After a week, I was still showing slower times compared to a regular controller so there's a learning curve. Realized it might not be worth the $800 cost of entry to see if my times *maybe* improve just for these *occasional* ft86club challenges. Thankfully, Amazon has an easy, free shipping return policy.

Also bought a video recorder box for my PS3 *just* so I could upload my replays to YouTube. It was cool but figured I won't use it *all* the time so returned it for my $300 back. Now I just use my camera phone. >_<

The participation on here slowly faded which justified my returns. Used that cash for some sweet mods lol. What validates my returns further were the top times in this BRZ challenge: feroozGT and Mistral_SB01 both got their #1 and #3 ranks (and both American) on the leaderboard, respectively, using a standard PS3 controller.

But if you're the hardcore GT5er, these are some options for ya. Also perfect if you haven't gotten too dependent on the standard controller. Because that's hard to "unlearn," at least in my case it was. And the PS4 might be backwards compatible with the G27. It feels amazing with its force feedback. Experiencing the closest thing to how an LFA drives and feels (with a traditional stick shift transmission "modded" in ) was worth the trouble of "renting" from Amazon.

Last edited by switchlanez; 04-04-2013 at 11:56 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #104
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Aww man I totally forgot about this event, havent played for 3 days now lol doh! Congrats on beating my time by .001 seconds hahaha, what a difference that makes, I can only imagine the stress levels real professional racers deal with.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #105
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I had a G27 and higher end gaming chair to bolt it onto. You have to play with all your limbs, rather than fingers, with constant lightning fast reflexes so it's a bit more exhausting. Especially if done repeatedly for hours to improve your times. After a week, I was still showing slower times compared to a regular controller so there's a learning curve. Realized it might not be worth the $800 cost of entry to see if my times *maybe* improve just for these *occasional* ft86club challenges. Thankfully, Amazon has an easy, free shipping return policy.

Also bought a video recorder box for my PS3 *just* so I could upload my replays to YouTube. It was cool but figured I won't use it *all* the time so returned it for my $300 back. Now I just use my camera phone. >_<

The participation on here slowly faded which justified my returns. Used that cash for some sweet mods lol. What validates my returns further were the top times in this BRZ challenge: feroozGT and Mistral_SB01 both got their #1 and #3 ranks (and both American) on the leaderboard, respectively, using a standard PS3 controller.

But if you're the hardcore GT5er, these are some options for ya. And the wheel feels amazing with its force feedback. Experiencing the closest thing to how an LFA drives and feels (with a traditional stick shift transmission "modded" in ) was worth the trouble of "renting" from Amazon.

Nice review of the gameplay with a wheel!

I think I like the idea of having a more "Immersive" experience. The whole idea is to have simulator.. and having the wheel and pedals would be exactly that.

I think it might help my times for one main reason.. Use of manual transmission. I've driven a MT in real life for almost 20 years (holy crap I'm getting old). But for some reason I've never gotten used to MT in a video game. I've never developed the feel for when to shift.. never seemed natural to me. So I always play AT. I think my times could be better with MT cars.. expecially in GT5 where the real life speed advantage of the MT is echoed in the game. So i think with a wheel and pedals I might be able to get used to it more easily..

Another benefit would be the ability to modulate throttle control.. the PS controller makes it hard to be anything more than full on or full off.. which can lead to some instability in hard cornering.

Besides.. it seems like the wheel would make it more fun.. regardless of laps times.. it's still all about fun.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (04-05-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #106
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
You can get a decent wheel and stand for $300-350. I'd expect most wheels to be compatible with the PS4, but if it isn't you can sell it later.

I prefer to play with the clutch because it's more fun and more like the real car that way. The G27's paddles make it feel even more artificial.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #107
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Smile

Awesome time man congrats!

Man I seriously sat down last night to get good runs in & work on an improvement; only to find the event ended! =/

I thought the event said until 4/20, not 4/02 haha!

I'm definitely looking forward to the next event using the twins that we can be competitive in again; hopefully I will have a rig for my wheel by then also.

Thank you for making this thread!

Quote:
Been busy these past few days but I was able to millimeter past @LeeMaster by a thousandth of a second.

Over a year ago, this forum had monthly GT5 competitions but I don't remember the turnout being this huge. Though I started as the only participant the first few days of this challenge, we ended with 22 joining in. Several came back showing improved times. All showed great effort and participation. Hopefully, we'll see each other at the next challenge! :happy0180:

"This isn’t about specifications or numbers but a cultural phenomenon."
-Moto-P

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koji_Online For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #108
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Aww the event is over... I was hoping to get one more chance to do better, I did, only alittle, I'll take a screen soon.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #109
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I didn't get on my PS3 to try this until the event was over, last night.
Anyways my time didn't register on the list, but it wasn't that great anyways. I only gave it about 10 tries. 1:07.483

using Logitech DFP wheel. MT, all aids off except ABS=1.

oh and I got the Matte Gold paint chip.

I definitely think using the DS3 controller typically gets faster times. The wheel is more realistic but not necessarily faster. It gives you feedback and real world driving experience, but the controller lets you make split second full range steering corrections that are just not possible on a wheel. And that gives controllers the advantage. But I use the wheel because I already own it, and I want realism, and fun, I'm not necessarily after the fastest lap time. In a nutshell that kind of describes ownership of the 86/BRZ too doesn't it?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #110
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

New Seasonal Event for the GT 86 is up!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41974

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums