follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sequential Valenti Tail Light Video+photos- Now DOT approved

The new Sequential Valenti Tail Lights for the FRS/BRZ are now D.O.T. approved!

Here's a short video of them in action, compared to the "normal" version(one side sequential, the other not).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7xnnVsf2es"]Sequential Valenti Tail Light Comparison - Sequential vs Standard FRS and BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
continuecrushing

Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
YXEBears
bearded god

Drives: 2016 Silverado (bye bye BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
question, where is the side marker and reflector which are required for the lamps to meet FMVSS108? kinda important for them to be proven legal before I would consider purchase. Not being a negative Ned, just been burnt by lamps with DOT stamps which were in fact meaningless.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...e49.6.571_1108
YXEBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:53 AM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YXEBears View Post
question, where is the side marker and reflector which are required for the lamps to meet FMVSS108? kinda important for them to be proven legal before I would consider purchase. Not being a negative Ned, just been burnt by lamps with DOT stamps which were in fact meaningless.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...e49.6.571_1108
I think those don't have the side marker reflector.
I know the Tom's Tail lights have the side markers and are DOT approved. I haven't seen the valenti's with side marker/reflectors.
Here in Hawaii the side markers.reflectors are a requirement for a safety check inspection sticker. But some guys can get away with not having any depending on what service station/auto repair shop does the safety check. For me I don't wanna have to put the stock tail lights everytime I gotta get a safety check done.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
continuecrushing

well, the DOT/SAE/FMVSS108 is a super complicated question lol. Trying to find a more definitive answer.

From SEMA:
"Is “DOT-approved” a legal term?
No, NHTSA has no authority to "approve" or "disapprove" vehicle equipment. The equipment is self-certified. Sometimes the term is confused with the DOT symbol, which is required to be placed by the manufacturer on certain items of equipment such as headlamps. This is simply an affirmative statement by the manufacturer that the equipment is compliant with an applicable NHTSA rule".
Old 06-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
continuecrushing

I know we've sold a few sets now...the more I think about it, the more I wanna switch mine out lol.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
Avi0304

Drives: Brz
Can anyone please tell me if these are dot approved and legal in Canada or not.

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exte...-s-brz-86.html
Avi0304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
equachie

Drives: Subaru Brz - WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi0304 View Post
Can anyone please tell me if these are dot approved and legal in Canada or not.

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exte...-s-brz-86.html
Those are legal. I've had them before. Just recently switched to the Vlands Smoked Tail lights. I find the dotted turn signals of Valenti arent' as appealing as a solid version.
equachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by equachie View Post
Those are legal. I've had them before. Just recently switched to the Vlands Smoked Tail lights. I find the dotted turn signals of Valenti arent' as appealing as a solid version.
DOT approval doesn't necessarily mean they are legal in his area.

He needs to check his local motor vehicle regs (not sure where in Canada he is). DOT approved valenti tail lights are not legal in BC because they lack a red or amber side reflector within the housing. Smoked/tinted tail lights and sequential blinkers are also not legal here.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
equachie

Drives: Subaru Brz - WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
DOT approval doesn't necessarily mean they are legal in his area.

He needs to check his local motor vehicle regs (not sure where in Canada he is). DOT approved valenti tail lights are not legal in BC because they lack a red or amber side reflector within the housing. Smoked/tinted tail lights and sequential blinkers are also not legal here.
That's good to know. Just went out last night to check and I noticed that my vlands did include the reflectors and amber lighting on the side. Thanks for the shared knowledge.

I find that it is all dependent on the local law enforcement on whether they want to pursue giving tickets or not to smoked tail lights. I've never been ticketed (hopefully still wont) but I do have a couple colleagues which have.
equachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is there any such thing as "DOT approval"? AFAIK it's just manufacturers DOT registering their products/parts at will, by far not some hard/thorough testing/certification to standards process like eg. TUV in Germany, no?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by equachie View Post
That's good to know. Just went out last night to check and I noticed that my vlands did include the reflectors and amber lighting on the side. Thanks for the shared knowledge.

I find that it is all dependent on the local law enforcement on whether they want to pursue giving tickets or not to smoked tail lights. I've never been ticketed (hopefully still wont) but I do have a couple colleagues which have.
Yeah the local PD is another wildcard. In my city the RCMP is pretty relaxed about vehicle modifications unless you are being a nuisance. Go 30 minutes west to Vancouver and their local PD will give notice and order inspection tickets (must go back to stock EVERYTHING) for something as small as a smoked sidemarker or even switching your exhaust tips...
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sequential valenti, tail light, taillight, valenti