follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
scionhobokenD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Thanks: 27
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 frs burned out clutch? or something related

Holy Crow.
havent been on the forum in a long time cause my car has been awesome.
I have a 2013 scion frs 65000 miles on it.
all fluids good. drives great till just now

Today coming home from an hour drive , my clutch pedal suddenly felt spongey weird and then the smell of burning clutch began . just made it into my parking spot and turned off engine. phew.

started the car again and in neutral, when pressing clutch pedal in, cars stalls , not even in gear, something very wrong

and idea guys and gals?

doug

Last edited by scionhobokenD; 08-05-2021 at 06:13 PM.
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i assume TOB? i wouldnt drive and tow it to shop and bring down Transmission to check
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (08-05-2021), ScoobsMcGee (08-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
scionhobokenD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Thanks: 27
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 frs, clutch issues

im in hudson county. i have a mechanic in union city, but not specifically for this car. any suggestions?/ thanks!!
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionhobokenD View Post
im in hudson county. i have a mechanic in union city, but not specifically for this car. any suggestions?/ thanks!!
I already suggested it. or you can DIY dropping transmission if you can
if not you need to tow it.

dont try to save small $$$$ and spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ money after you learn your lesson

try to search local reputable shop to do it
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (08-07-2021), ScoobsMcGee (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese
 
ScoobsMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 15 BRZ
Location: York, PA
Posts: 2,630
Thanks: 5,696
Thanked 5,488 Times in 1,993 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I already suggested it. or you can DIY dropping transmission if you can
if not you need to tow it.

dont try to save small $$$$ and spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ money after you learn your lesson

try to search local reputable shop to do it
To further iterate on this, it is common for the TOB to go bad around 60k miles on the 2013-2016 models. There is a revised OEM one you can get from Subaru used in the 2017+ for $50-$100, or you can get one from Verus for $35. While the transmission is out I also suggest replacing the clutch fork and fork pivot as they're cheap parts with expensive labor to replace.

That said we're going off an assumption and it could be something different entirely. If it was the TOB it should have been making a sort of wailing sound prior to getting that bad. Specifically when cold with the clutch out and car in neutral, and less noisy once warmed up. If that was the case and things got so bad it did completely fail, there is a decent chance the clutch is damaged as a result. Still, if you're going to drop the trans, consider replacing that stuff I mentioned to prevent having to drop it again soon.

edit: revised TOB from Subaru or Toyota... one make mindset.
ScoobsMcGee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
To further iterate on this, it is common for the TOB to go bad around 60k miles on the 2013-2016 models. There is a revised OEM one you can get from Subaru used in the 2017+ for $50-$100, or you can get one from Verus for $35. While the transmission is out I also suggest replacing the clutch fork and fork pivot as they're cheap parts with expensive labor to replace.

That said we're going off an assumption and it could be something different entirely. If it was the TOB it should have been making a sort of wailing sound prior to getting that bad. Specifically when cold with the clutch out and car in neutral, and less noisy once warmed up. If that was the case and things got so bad it did completely fail, there is a decent chance the clutch is damaged as a result. Still, if you're going to drop the trans, consider replacing that stuff I mentioned to prevent having to drop it again soon.

edit: revised TOB from Subaru or Toyota... one make mindset.

Here's my experience on my 13 BRZ
I thought my TOB was bad and bought Southbend stage 2 clutch, Verus clutch fork and pivot to replace whole thing. (i was at only 30K mileage)
when Transmission was out, TOB was fine it was just regular normal sound but i end up changing anyway since transmission was out

so, buy all clutch,flywheel (if needed), clutch fork, pivot and TOB (revised one) to replace

even new revised TOB makes same original TOB sound but should be fine
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (08-07-2021), ScoobsMcGee (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese
 
ScoobsMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 15 BRZ
Location: York, PA
Posts: 2,630
Thanks: 5,696
Thanked 5,488 Times in 1,993 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
Here's my experience on my 13 BRZ
I thought my TOB was bad and bought Southbend stage 2 clutch, Verus clutch fork and pivot to replace whole thing. (i was at only 30K mileage)
when Transmission was out, TOB was fine it was just regular normal sound but i end up changing anyway since transmission was out

so, buy all clutch,flywheel (if needed), clutch fork, pivot and TOB (revised one) to replace

even new revised TOB makes same original TOB sound but should be fine
Exact same mentality I had with a TOB going bad at 59k. Only difference is that it took the ACT clutch I bought 3 months to show up, and after 1.5 months I just had everything else replaced. Thankfully for me it was the TOB, and the stock clutch still looked fine.
ScoobsMcGee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Exact same mentality I had with a TOB going bad at 59k. Only difference is that it took the ACT clutch I bought 3 months to show up, and after 1.5 months I just had everything else replaced. Thankfully for me it was the TOB, and the stock clutch still looked fine.
I end up spending money that i didnt need to spend but i didnt want to risk having whole transmission to replace if TOB is shattered inside so i just took transmission down
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (08-07-2021), ScoobsMcGee (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #9
scionhobokenD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Thanks: 27
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Im copying all coments and will proceed this coming week.

Much Appreciated

doug
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scionhobokenD For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (08-07-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
scionhobokenD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Thanks: 27
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Folks/ any comment on this source for clutch package? https://86speed.com/exedy-oem-clutch-kit-frs-brz-86
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I dont know what your goal is but you can get little bit more aggressive clutch kit
depends on your mileage you may need to get new flywheel too
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #12
scionhobokenD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Thanks: 27
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
kisstherain/ its been a great car for 5 years. little money into it beyond new tires and oil , filter etc. If its going on the lift, I might as well do all i can when up there.
got 65,000 miles on it.

reccomendations?
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #13
zc06_kisstherain
 
zc06_kisstherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 706
Thanked 648 Times in 494 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionhobokenD View Post
kisstherain/ its been a great car for 5 years. little money into it beyond new tires and oil , filter etc. If its going on the lift, I might as well do all i can when up there.
got 65,000 miles on it.

reccomendations?
Since transmission is going to be down, get whiteline transmission bushing and Shifter bushing and Mtec shift spring
these will help you on firm shifting


https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...g#.YRJ_tIhKhyE

https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...7#.YRJ_1YhKhyE

https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...s#.YRKACIhKhyE

yes. i have all these installed in my car lol
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2013 fr-s, clutch, frs, repair, scion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Burned Into ECU? mo4sho Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 32 12-06-2020 01:39 PM
Squeaking Clutch Noises NOT Related to the Throw Out Bearing BigTuna Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 13 09-27-2018 02:32 AM
Valenti Revo LED burned out already BirdTRD Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 15 12-26-2017 10:08 AM
Question regarding a pulsation related to clutch pedal Frs x3 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 2 12-01-2014 01:41 AM
Has the seatbelt 'burned' you yet? Rob_g Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 22 07-17-2012 02:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.