follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer!
I agree both can be used, and it makes sense that lasers are easier to switch between cars.

Isn't that a benefit of potentiometeres rather than a downside?
If you know the spring rate (hopefully it's linear), and adjust for the motion ration, you know exactly the weight/force applied at each corner. That value will is not going to be not affected by the compression of the tires. When calculating weight based on dynamic ride height, you have an unknown variable (tire compression) in the equation.

I believe you need some kind of filtering/averaging whatever is it that you measure.
It depends really on what you are looking at and looking for in the data. Just because for what we were doing and using it for doesn't mean others would come to a different conclusion. When trying to compare track data to cfd results, I really want to know the full compression of the system including tires.

Yeah either will certainly require filtering/averaging.
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plucas For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds like ideally you'd use both the lasers and suspension pots
This way you can calculate the forces, but also calculate how the body of the car is positioned and angled relative to the pavement.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #17
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Sounds like ideally you'd use both the lasers and suspension pots
This way you can calculate the forces, but also calculate how the body of the car is positioned and angled relative to the pavement.
If we were doing serious development, looking for every small increase in performance, having both pots and lasers would be extremely helpful for that exact reason.

For our needs, lasers make the most sense and are the slightly more cost-effective way we can implement development across various chassis for aero development.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (03-22-2021)

Tags
aero, aerodynamics, subaru brz, track testing, verus engineering