follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
FR-Shred

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Header on N/A question

Set up:
Borla UEL (just installed two days ago)
Invidia N1 Ti Exhaust
Invidia Resonated Front Pipe
Tanabe Overpipe
Greddy Intake.

So.. I am maybe thinking there's a exhaust leak somewhere due to the sound while under acceleration and WOT.
I know with no more shielding and no cats its going to sound a lot different but to me it sounds like I am running a dump pipe or open headers when I give it a bit of throttle.
When I am idle or cruising, it sounds about the same as pre uel header, more throaty but you still hear the exhaust sound. But when I give it throttle you dont even get an exhaust note anymore, like I said to me its like open dump/header. I am going to have someone else drive it by me or record it from the outside while I drive by, cause maybe just inside the cabin is giving me a different sound.

Anyways, anyone else have the same or similar set up and can comment (or have a video) on the sound and/or the overall sound at throttle that would be nice.

I am probably going to re-tighten all the bolts and do a paper test on the gasket areas today to check..
I was thinking about taking it to an exhaust shop and having them give it a once over, but if I could not have to do that by re-tightening and/or getting some feedback on here that would be great.

The reason I am not thinking leak is because I would imagine it would have to be a HUGE leak, like a missing pipe (haha) to be giving off this much sound, or will a small leak do this also?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shred View Post
Set up:
Borla UEL (just installed two days ago)
Invidia N1 Ti Exhaust
Invidia Resonated Front Pipe
Tanabe Overpipe
Greddy Intake.

So.. I am maybe thinking there's a exhaust leak somewhere due to the sound while under acceleration and WOT.
I know with no more shielding and no cats its going to sound a lot different but to me it sounds like I am running a dump pipe or open headers when I give it a bit of throttle.
When I am idle or cruising, it sounds about the same as pre uel header, more throaty but you still hear the exhaust sound. But when I give it throttle you dont even get an exhaust note anymore, like I said to me its like open dump/header. I am going to have someone else drive it by me or record it from the outside while I drive by, cause maybe just inside the cabin is giving me a different sound.

Anyways, anyone else have the same or similar set up and can comment (or have a video) on the sound and/or the overall sound at throttle that would be nice.

I am probably going to re-tighten all the bolts and do a paper test on the gasket areas today to check..
I was thinking about taking it to an exhaust shop and having them give it a once over, but if I could not have to do that by re-tightening and/or getting some feedback on here that would be great.

The reason I am not thinking leak is because I would imagine it would have to be a HUGE leak, like a missing pipe (haha) to be giving off this much sound, or will a small leak do this also?

Thanks.
Catless header and invida n1 is going to be very loud especially with what i assume is a catless but resonated front pipe.

I think you will need to change catback to stock or Q300 to get the sound levels acceptable.

you might have asmall leakas well but they just usually throw off fuel trimsand may make car run crap or hesitations\bogging.

your gready intake will likey require maf rescale, assume you are running tune.

log your long term fuel trims at low rpm will usually give you indication of leak
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
FR-Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Catless header and invida n1 is going to be very loud especially with what i assume is a catless but resonated front pipe.

I think you will need to change catback to stock or Q300 to get the sound levels acceptable.

you might have asmall leakas well but they just usually throw off fuel trimsand may make car run crap or hesitations\bogging.

your gready intake will likey require maf rescale, assume you are running tune.

log your long term fuel trims at low rpm will usually give you indication of leak
Catless header catless front pipe.

I do not mind the sound level itself, I just would like a more pronounced exhaust sound. A deep loud rumble is what I am looking for and as of right now its just an open dump sound, no real noticeable rumble or exhaust note at all, while giving it a bit of throttle.

I am not getting any hesitations or bogging that I have noticed as of yet. If they are pretty noticeable I would say I dont have any, if they are very minor I will pay more attention on my drive home from work.

I am currently not running a tune. That is my next step. I did not want to have to spend $$ on tunes when I would upgrade to new items, going stage 1 to 2 for example. I am done with all the mods that would require a different tune until I get a turbo, so now I am 1-2 months away from going flex fuel and tune.
I have not noticed any negative effects on my drives with the intake. BUT I did by the car used with the intake on so possibly the original owner had a tune on it. I have also read that a lot of people do not have any negative effects running a intake without a tune, so I might be one of those cases.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shred View Post
Catless header catless front pipe.

I do not mind the sound level itself, I just would like a more pronounced exhaust sound. A deep loud rumble is what I am looking for and as of right now its just an open dump sound, no real noticeable rumble or exhaust note at all, while giving it a bit of throttle.

I am not getting any hesitations or bogging that I have noticed as of yet. If they are pretty noticeable I would say I dont have any, if they are very minor I will pay more attention on my drive home from work.

I am currently not running a tune. That is my next step. I did not want to have to spend $$ on tunes when I would upgrade to new items, going stage 1 to 2 for example. I am done with all the mods that would require a different tune until I get a turbo, so now I am 1-2 months away from going flex fuel and tune.
I have not noticed any negative effects on my drives with the intake. BUT I did by the car used with the intake on so possibly the original owner had a tune on it. I have also read that a lot of people do not have any negative effects running a intake without a tune, so I might be one of those cases.
Some intakes dont throw of maf scaling much like mishimoto,Grimmspeed, perrin 2.5 " , others like takeda and injen do, not sure in Gready but from your experience its probably ok.

An invidia n1 with stock catted header and stock catted midpipe is loud but the cats cut down on a lot of noise rasp ect, going catless header andd midpipe with an N1 it going to be pretty loud and raw and not a refined throaty note.

Its going to be difficult to fix without changing the catback to something with a proper muffler and a quiet one like a q300 rarther than a canister type.

your likely to throw a P0420 cel code soon with catless heaer and no tune
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
FR-Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Some intakes dont throw of maf scaling much like mishimoto,Grimmspeed, perrin 2.5 " , others like takeda and injen do, not sure in Gready but from your experience its probably ok.

An invidia n1 with stock catted header and stock catted midpipe is loud but the cats cut down on a lot of noise rasp ect, going catless header andd midpipe with an N1 it going to be pretty loud and raw and not a refined throaty note.

Its going to be difficult to fix without changing the catback to something with a proper muffler and a quiet one like a q300 rarther than a canister type.

your likely to throw a P0420 cel code soon with catless heaer and no tune
The Greddy is a rebadged takeda so possibly. I have just not noticed any ill effects.

So from your input I am just assuming its the sound it is, loud and raw are accurate. It sounds like a muscle car, meanest 200hp car I have ever heard, hahah.

I, to be honest, want a louder exhaust. Not cause its louder but cause its lighter and I personally want a single exit.

And I am aware about the CEL code, I can live with that for a month or so, it isn't a big deal. I have a bluetooth OBD reader so I can make sure its not other codes in the meantime, but it has yet to come on. I have heard it taking up to 500+ miles sometimes.

Thanks for the help.