follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #29
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
don't forget the $500 prs sound creator intake tube. i'm still not entirely sure what it does. but it does "increase power" and "improve throttle response"

you know i've seen a device that promised the same thing before, that was nothing more than a light bulb that got stuck in the car.
I put one of those on my car along with the tornado and magnet around the fuel line. I have to drain fuel out of my car every week now to keep it from overflowing!

I can not believe people fall for this stuff, our society is doomed.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #30
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I put one of those on my car along with the tornado and magnet around the fuel line. I have to drain fuel out of my car every week now to keep it from overflowing!

I can not believe people fall for this stuff, our society is doomed.
i can.

"make something idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

https://www.amazon.com/LuLaRich-Season-1/dp/B09CFXPNSX

back in the day, all these people died off quicker with environmental hardships, and a lack of OSHA. now every life is precious.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:17 AM   #31
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i can.

"make something idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

https://www.amazon.com/LuLaRich-Season-1/dp/B09CFXPNSX

back in the day, all these people died off quicker with environmental hardships, and a lack of OSHA. now every life is precious.
The longer I live the less precocious life becomes.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (11-21-2022), soundman98 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #32
ClaytonG

Drives: Car Enthusiast trying to learn more
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
How long until bots no longer let humans access internet? Something like skynet minus the nuclear holocaust. Sarah Connor shaking her router in slow motion desperation.
I am not a bot if you want me to prove it I can. Maybe I am ambitious with the list but I am fairly new to cars and trying to get some more insight. I have made some edits I just don't know how to update the thread.
ClaytonG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClaytonG For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #33
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
if you're new to cars, learn on the car first. this is an excellent vehicle for learning anything on. it's somewhat easy to work on, parts are plentiful, and the chassis is very responsive to showing you what does and doesn't work. but you need to have the seat time beforehand to feel the car out to be able to feel the difference.

wheels are fun to change, but are entirely aesthetic until you've reached the upper echelon of any motorsports racing category that the weight can actually make you a faster driver. a fast driver can make better wheels faster, but better wheels don't make a faster driver.

motors are interesting, but keep in mind that the subaru built the original motor to be 100% reliable well over 100k miles. once you start changing parts, or adding power, the entire motor with all it's tiny parts, reliability becomes a gigantic question mark. and once you start diving into the aftermarket to solve all the reliability question marks, that means yet another component that has a lead time if it fails. it's also a race to 'the weakest link'. sure, you can upgrade the block, the connecting rods, the pistons, the valves. but no one makes an aftermarket bolt-on oil upgrade for this motor. no one makes better timing chain guides. no one makes an improved '500hp' wheel bearing...

there's a thread in the performance section on the driveshafts that went haywire because it turns out that the oem drive shaft is still one of the best options, despite not being rated for big power. every drive shaft has a critical speed maximum.

it's a question of what you want to break when something breaks. i like to keep my breaks to things that are easily accessible.

my car might be boring being stock, but i can guarantee that if any common part fails, i can just run down to the auto parts store or the dealership and get a replacement. it'll be in stock, and have the car ready to go by the end of the day.

but aftermarket, you now need to deal with specific brands, specific parts, and they're always on the opposite side of the country.

i learned this a while back with r/c trucks. every hobby shop stocks the stock traxxas parts. they're only nylon, and launching the truck off a 10' halfpipe breaks a lot of things, no matter how fun it is. so this leads to the rabbit hole of searching out all the aluminum/titanium parts that make up the truck to make it survive 'falling in style' from 20' up. but most of those parts are at least 1-2 weeks out for every single order.

so i ended up facing a choice. i was going to keep going to the skate park with the truck, and i was going to keep launching it off the halfpipe.. i could keep the stock nylon parts, let them break, replace as needed, ready to keep doing it every day repeatedly, or i could upgrade everything to much stiffer parts, and likely be down for many weeks at a time waiting by the front door for the replacement.

i was mostly breaking a-arms, shocks, a-arm mounts, and drive shafts. as soon as i upgraded any of these few parts to a stiffer version, it would transfer the shock load to other parts. so then instead of just those few parts right near the wheels that were easy to access, now i'd need to replace the more central and buried components like the main chassis rails, the shock mounts, and the center drive shafts. all of which are much more difficult to get to.

so that was how i decided to intentionally keep using the stock traxxas truck parts, despite knowing they would break, and knowing how they would break-- because they were easy to replace.

cars aren't all that different really. once you exceed the design parameters of the original manufacturer, you're on a journey by yourself. everything wears faster. suddenly parts that were considered 'lifetime' need to be replaced, and sometimes replaced often.

you've done a nice job of figuring out your costs to build what you want. but keep in mind that the initial build is only part of the equation.

you're going to have recurring costs. and there will be down time for the vehicle while a BOV suddenly sticks, or an engine tune suddenly doesn't work out that takes weeks to figure out with a tuner.

a custom-built, custom-powered car like that could easily start costing closer to $80k over the course of 4-6 years of ownership, and you might only get to drive it every other 6 months over that 6 years. you need to have somewhere to park the car while working on it, and you need to have another reliable vehicle to deal with the down time a build like this could take.

what it's worth to you is a personal question. maybe all that's worth it. but to a lot of people, myself included, it's not.
Capt Spaulding (11-25-2022), JD001 (11-28-2022), Jdmjunkie (11-24-2022), Spuds (11-26-2022), villainous_frx (11-29-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonG View Post
I am not a bot if you want me to prove it I can. Maybe I am ambitious with the list but I am fairly new to cars and trying to get some more insight. I have made some edits I just don't know how to update the thread.
Ambitious is a complete understatement. With your shopping list you can pretty much count on the car being broken more than it runs. If you truly want to learn you need to dial all that back about 90%.
Reading about all that stuff and actually doing it are two very very different worlds.
Jdmjunkie (11-24-2022), RToyo86 (11-24-2022), Spuds (11-26-2022), villainous_frx (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 04:02 PM   #35
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Do you currently own any vehicle? Thats the starting point.

I'd suggest doing more research on built engines, NA builds especially. You are pretty much lighting your money on fire with minimal returns.
OEM engine with a basic turbo or supercharger kit has similar MSRP around 4.5-5k and nets 100whp. You give up some reliability but that's how adding boost to a non boosted engine goes.

HKS makes a stroker kit with cams and it makes all of 10hp or so more over an OEM sealed engine with the same bolt ons.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #36
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
The longer I live the less precocious life becomes.
“Precocious” or “Precious?” Doesn’t really matter, I guess - I’m with you either way.
soundman98 (11-25-2022), x808drifter (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 11:22 PM   #37
Ace23_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LMAO...I noticed that everyone else is keeping this thread alive!

Either way, that guy's budget plan is way south of his target goals...sadly, I can speak from personal knowledge because I am on a build similar, but way better lol.

Regardless, the shit is not cheap by any means!

Haha, my bad for bumping this thing back up again.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #38
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wanted to reference your build as what to do for a dream build.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
Ace23_BRZ (11-27-2022), soundman98 (11-27-2022)

Tags
daily driver, dream project, subaru brz, track build