follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
It looked like you were experiencing quite a bit of understeer through a lot of those longer radius corners. Was this the case or were you not attacking the lines so not to induce too much oversteer?

BTW nice work getting it straight to the track and good colour choice too . Im pretty envious of that track set up you have there too. How does your membership work, you just turn up whenever you want provided there isnt a meet on? It looked like you were the only guy out there...
No understeer i was not really pushing the car to the limit since i was only revving to 6.5-7k rpms. Membership works as follows you pay a one time fee of 2500 and then 200 each month after that garages are 200 bucks a month. Basically members get around 4 days a week, its open monday to sunday and hours open to members are posted on the website. I honestly love the track, most of the guys are friendly as well. I was alone because it was fathers day , my dad lives in canada so i had the day off lol there were only some miatas and an rx8. Members get to enter the track events for free as well so its kinda cool.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #30
spiller

Drives: JZA70 Supra, Lancer Evo 5, 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wow thats a pretty awesome deal. Not cheap but considering you pretty much have access most of the time id, definitely do that if I lived where you do. When you consider entry to events is free also, that adds up. My local track charges 100 dollars for an all day open practice in which you get 6x15min sessions. The only issue is they hold them about 9 times per year and the traffic is woeful!
spiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
wow thats a pretty awesome deal. Not cheap but considering you pretty much have access most of the time id, definitely do that if I lived where you do. When you consider entry to events is free also, that adds up. My local track charges 100 dollars for an all day open practice in which you get 6x15min sessions. The only issue is they hold them about 9 times per year and the traffic is woeful!
Yeah the good thing about harris hill is normally traffic is not bad, specially if you go during the week. Sometimes ill take a half day off work and drive to harris hill just to do a few laps.
ImAwesome (06-28-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
spiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Yeah the good thing about harris hill is normally traffic is not bad, specially if you go during the week. Sometimes ill take a half day off work and drive to harris hill just to do a few laps.
life, you are doing it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to spiller For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drove the car again at the track yesterday, i have to say i have been more than impressed with it. I just placed an order for enkei rpf1's matched to some sticky rubber + some kw v3's, videos and lap times with the new setup coming soon!!

BTW ill share one more video guys subscribe!! More videos coming soon!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6OVSb-Vxw&feature=g-upl"]Scion FR-S Teaser Video!! Track, Drift, & More - YouTube[/ame]

Some pics @ the track yesterday!! It was 104 degrees outside my fastest lap time yesterday was only a 1.36.8 i could just not do better!! No overheating issues though so the car has a good cooling system.

Done for the day:

Last edited by track_warrior; 06-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to track_warrior For This Useful Post:
nix (06-28-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Quick question.. did you have any trouble getting the FRS onto the trailer? Did you need blocks to get it up onto the ramps? How was the front overhang?

I'm concerned that after lowering it'll be pain to load. Half the time I don't load my NSX onto the trailer is because it simply cannot make it up w/o tearing out the front end.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I picked up an oil filter and some oil and did oil change before taking it to the track on Sunday to clear out any new engine debris.
I'm really curious how the oil came out, I'm at about 600 miles and haven't done an oil change yet. Was it silvery or clean? I was planning on doing my first change at 1000 miles but the dealer actually recommended I don't change it until the 5k mark.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Awesome stuff right here.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZetaVI For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, how much does the ambient temp affect lap times? If the car was the same and you drove the same how much difference would that make at this track?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
Keszki

Drives: GT86 delivered!
Nice video, man. I like where you mounted the camera just above your left shoulder. It shows the track ahead but also shows your steering inputs well. I recommend you use this mount for your future vids!

What camera is it btw?
Keszki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keszki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #39
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

BTW: My only problem at the track was that after doing my first 4 laps I stopped in the pits and let the car cool down, when I tried to raise the windows the window motors for the left and right windows did not seem to work, no noise or anything they were not moving. I checked fuses etc and nothing was wrong. After 20 minutes I tried again and nothing so I went out for another 6 laps and mysteriously when I pulled into the pits again the windows worked like if nothing had happened. Weird…..
Shes trying to say "Shut up and drive me you silly man!" and after the six she was satisfied and gave you want you wanted haha

Quote:

Bonus pics:

Only in Texas, huge gas station there were about 5 more lanes behind us.

I'm scared to see your fast food drive thrus

Glad to see the FRS at the track! She looks good and I can't wait for the upcoming vids.

btw did you ever try putting skinny tires on the c63 like Top Gear did haha
Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #40
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Quick question.. did you have any trouble getting the FRS onto the trailer? Did you need blocks to get it up onto the ramps? How was the front overhang?

I'm concerned that after lowering it'll be pain to load. Half the time I don't load my NSX onto the trailer is because it simply cannot make it up w/o tearing out the front end.
Nope she cleared it like a champ, im probably going to have to get a dovetail trailer when i get my coilovers since i will be lower almost about an inch lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Out of curiosity, how much does the ambient temp affect lap times? If the car was the same and you drove the same how much difference would that make at this track?
I would say that i was loosing about 10% power just from humidity and heat that day, im sure i could do a lot better probably a second at least. Im happy to report i did not run into any cooling issues the car has no problems with cooling .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keszki View Post
Nice video, man. I like where you mounted the camera just above your left shoulder. It shows the track ahead but also shows your steering inputs well. I recommend you use this mount for your future vids!

What camera is it btw?
Go Pro Hero HD 2 , i've been trying different angles but thats the one i like the most as well ill keep using it for my upcoming videos. My next one will prob be a drift compilation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post

Glad to see the FRS at the track! She looks good and I can't wait for the upcoming vids.

btw did you ever try putting skinny tires on the c63 like Top Gear did haha
Thanks man!! lol never but i did get a set of rikens and burned the hell out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
I'm really curious how the oil came out, I'm at about 600 miles and haven't done an oil change yet. Was it silvery or clean? I was planning on doing my first change at 1000 miles but the dealer actually recommended I don't change it until the 5k mark.
The first oil change was a bit silvery but not much pretty clean if you ask me, im doing oil changes every 1000 miles since i will be tracking the car most of the time. My first one was done at 500 next one was at 700 and then i will go all the way to 1500 and from there every 1000 miles.

Here are some pics of the oil change i did after two track runs, not that bad there was a bit of debris but not much, this oil change was done at the 700 miles.

Here are the pics and yes i am a pic whore........... Guilty

Parts that i used, Btw i saw that funnel and bought it... Big mistake its horrible leaks everywhere i do not recommend it to anybody!!

Picked up 6 quarts of OEM spec mobil one 0w-20. Its funny its labeled as fuel economy oil, if they only knew im getting less than 10 mpg's lol. one anybody have any suggestions on a different oil spec to use for track purpose im all ears!!

K&N oil filter part #

Oem Oil Filter:

Getting her ready for her oil change

Front Jacking location:

Changing the oil:

Here is a pic of the oil at 700 miles after two track days, i tried to find shavings but had no luck except for very small little specs.

K&N VS OEM SPEC OIL FILTER!! I really like the design on the K&N specially because you can wrench it out if it gets stuck and its impossible to get a oil filter wrench in there if it gets stuck.

Heres what i am talking about

Took almost 6 quarts!!

Last edited by track_warrior; 06-26-2012 at 12:50 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to track_warrior For This Useful Post:
amram (04-28-2014), slizoth (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #41
spiller

usually you'd run a thicker oi than that for track use, the 0w stuff is exactly what you described it at - economy oil. And for starts in colder climates. What sort of temps do you get in your part of texas in winter?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #42
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
usually you'd run a thicker oi than that for track use, the 0w stuff is exactly what you described it at - economy oil. And for starts in colder climates. What sort of temps do you get in your part of texas in winter?
Well its gotten as cold as 36 F but its a rear occurrence, on average i would say around 50-65. I thought about going to a 10w-30 any thoughts on that? Summer on average is around 90-100F.

Tags
build, fr-s, mx-5, pcasso87, track