follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #29
Scavanger
Avid searcher of things

Drives: Scion Fr-s 10 series
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So there stage 2 kit comes with pretty much all of that so yeah lol
Scavanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
I know what I'm doing for Christmas this year...

Would a clutch replacement be needed for a 200k end goal as well? Or are the axles the only thing to be concerned about with the above setup and the same driving style as OP?
A clutch replacement will most likely be a replacement *wear and tear* item, not something that needs to be replaced because it's not holding.

For example, I recently replaced the clutch on my S2000 after 117k miles, but I actually had to replace it because my throwout bearing was worn out, not the clutch itself. Since the labor is virtually identical, I went ahead and replaced the clutch too. I had over 60% of the disk material left at the time of replacement; the car has had plenty of track miles put on it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #31
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A clutch replacement will most likely be a replacement *wear and tear* item, not something that needs to be replaced because it's not holding.

For example, I recently replaced the clutch on my S2000 after 117k miles, but I actually had to replace it because my throwout bearing was worn out, not the clutch itself. Since the labor is virtually identical, I went ahead and replaced the clutch too. I had over 60% of the disk material left at the time of replacement; the car has had plenty of track miles put on it.
Good to know. I think I've been asking you guys at CSG about FI from the moment I picked up my car. Now I just have to save and make it happen...
Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #32
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavanger View Post
For the power he is looking for just the motor awap will get him there so ge wouldnt have to go the fi route

I hope you're just trolling because that's the most ridiculous thing stated in this thread.

The FBM built motor in and of itself will not generate more power. It's not built for NA cars. It's built to withstand more boost than the factory motor. Without boost, you're actually not going to see a benefit from running it.

A high performance NA build will cost quite a bit more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I hope you're just trolling because that's the most ridiculous thing stated in this thread.

The FBM built motor in and of itself will not generate more power. It's not built for NA cars. It's built to withstand more boost than the factory motor. Without boost, you're actually not going to see a benefit from running it.

A high performance NA build will cost quite a bit more.
He's a troll.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #34
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@CSG Mike thank you so much for your reply. I am definitely leaning towards the JRSC; the only thing that concerns me is the oil cooler and cold temperatures. Stock FR-S takes pretty long to get to normal operating temperatures already; I believe I saw that JR advertises that its OC has a thermostatic oil adapter. I live in NJ and we see our fair share of cold weather.

I also wonder, as two of the folks who posted noted, if a PD / the sprintex blower would be better for daily driving with the power down low and the fact that my car spends 99% of its life below 4k.

@BRZZZZZZZZZZ -- thats a beautiful red brz you have there thanks for posting the vid!

@Boofneenee -- you sir have pretty much the best profile picture on this entire forum.

thank you everyone for your comments and feedback!
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autograph For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (02-01-2015), CSG Mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #35
Scubaru

Drives: '13 FR-S, '14 RAM 1500, '01 BMW330i
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
FWIW, I have less than 4k in my Sprintex kit. Paid $2875 for it on Cyber Monday, and was just a tick over a grand to have in installed and dyno tuned by Mach V.

For the other 5 grand you can just throw some supporting mods back at the car, such as the clutch and the axles for the reliability factor, or just pocket some of it!

I know your focus is on dyno numbers, but always keep in mind, it is just a tool used for tuning. What really matters is how the car performs on the street/track, and from what you've mentioned, a PD S/C would be my recommendation in your situation.

Here's the videos I posted with my car before/after install:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81630

Same exhaust setup, same stretch of road as well. Minus dyno and track time runs, it's about as close of a visual comparison as you can get.

Hope this helps!
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scubaru For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #36
autograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
FWIW, I have less than 4k in my Sprintex kit. Paid $2875 for it on Cyber Monday, and was just a tick over a grand to have in installed and dyno tuned by Mach V.

For the other 5 grand you can just throw some supporting mods back at the car, such as the clutch and the axles for the reliability factor, or just pocket some of it!

I know your focus is on dyno numbers, but always keep in mind, it is just a tool used for tuning. What really matters is how the car performs on the street/track, and from what you've mentioned, a PD S/C would be my recommendation in your situation.

Here's the videos I posted with my car before/after install:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81630

Same exhaust setup, same stretch of road as well. Minus dyno and track time runs, it's about as close of a visual comparison as you can get.

Hope this helps!
@Scubaru you're absolutely correct about dyno numbers being a tool. Very nice vids; not entirely clear from your post on the forum, but you're non-intercooled in that video, right? 75mm pulley?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 AM   #37
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autograph View Post
@CSG Mike thank you so much for your reply. I am definitely leaning towards the JRSC; the only thing that concerns me is the oil cooler and cold temperatures. Stock FR-S takes pretty long to get to normal operating temperatures already; I believe I saw that JR advertises that its OC has a thermostatic oil adapter. I live in NJ and we see our fair share of cold weather.

I also wonder, as two of the folks who posted noted, if a PD / the sprintex blower would be better for daily driving with the power down low and the fact that my car spends 99% of its life below 4k.

@BRZZZZZZZZZZ -- thats a beautiful red brz you have there thanks for posting the vid!

@Boofneenee -- you sir have pretty much the best profile picture on this entire forum.

thank you everyone for your comments and feedback!
Do not go Sprintex. You will be disappointed. IMHO. I had one, sold it and am now enjoying a kit that isn't maxed out at 230 whp on pump and that produces less and less power as you keep running it hard. I recommend you get a kit that doesn't have to work as hard to make the goals you want. Your goal is longevity right? You want more than 230-240 whp on pump? The JRSC is perfect.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #38
Scubaru

Drives: '13 FR-S, '14 RAM 1500, '01 BMW330i
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autograph View Post
@Scubaru you're absolutely correct about dyno numbers being a tool. Very nice vids; not entirely clear from your post on the forum, but you're non-intercooled in that video, right? 75mm pulley?
Yessir. Installed right out of the box, no I/C

In following up with you on the parameters you need to meet with your purchase, the Sprintex easily meets 3/4 of them.

It's been a proven, reliable setup, the cost is well within your range (without "cheapening" out on anything), and the Sprintex makes good, instant power below 4k, which makes it a little more enjoyable as a DD in stop and go traffic.

Now as far as meeting your power goals, 260whp is going to be selective of impacting conditions and the dyno itself, which you yourself said can widely vary.

From my perspective, I agree with @sw20kosh that you will more than likely be disappointed with the numbers you will receive with the 210 kit.

Last edited by Scubaru; 02-02-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scubaru For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #39
autograph

thank you @sw20kosh and @Scubaru for your input. now I am conflicted :P its very difficult to decide between the two options. I think I'll have to make an effort to get seat time in cars that have the systems installed to really make up my mind
The Following User Says Thank You to autograph For This Useful Post:
sw20kosh (02-06-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #40
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Lightbulb

I have almost made up my mind to go with the Sprintex 335 aiming for 300 whp, but have now also started looking at the Ptuning turbo kit. I am looking for reliability and low end torque for daily driving and do not want to blow my engine, obviously. Anyone know the pros and cons and different outcomes between going turbo vs supercharger? Now I am conflicted between the Ptuning turbo kit and the Sprintex 335 supercharger.

This video makes me question going with Sprintex. The Ptuning kit seems solid. Others have also mentioned the P&L turbo kit being better than Ptuning due to top mounted turbo. Input appreciated, thanks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqaz9wDbVM"]BRZ STI?- A TURBO BRZ Review - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVogbn_ZSQ"]P&L Motorsports - Stage 1 BRZ Turbo Kit - Track Testing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Chad86; 02-09-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote