follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #3305
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleox View Post
To ur point what auto crosses events do u recommend for a beginner I live in menifee pretty much one hour from SD and an hour from LA. I know about the Qualcomm autocross but I'm curious if there was anything out here in the ie

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
All of them.

Seriously; it's more important that you just go, than to try to pick which one is "better". Go to whichever one you can make it to.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #3306
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionOfHorus View Post
Maybe if we can get a discount by waiting for you to be at COTA for something xD

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
We can figure something out for you guys
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #3307
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanfaptothis86 View Post
This linearity discussion is chinese to me.

Tire spin is not an issue for me I am actually pretty smooth with the pedals.

The issue is really in the turns 5-6-7 complex

And the final chicane is tough as well bc the curbing gets the car insanely unsettled.
There is somewhere in the control configuration where you can set how much real wheel turns the virtual wheel. It must be the same amount in both world. That would be linear.

Very often. Base setting are the more you are of center on the real wheel, the more the virtual wheel movement are amplified. That's exponential and that's undrivable shit.

By 1st gear engagement, I meant while braking. But if it's no problem, that's a good thing.

Very often base car setup are very bad, which can lead to your troubles in the last chicane. But that's just a difficult turn.

The middle part of the lap is very challenging. Any inaccuracy in the previous turn will put you in trouble in the next turn. That's not the case at Watkins Glen because turns are far apart.

Slow turns at Watkins Glen have the banking, which turns them in not so slow turns. It will not show all the bouncing you can get in last corner at Spa.

Jumping smoothly over curbs is a challenge, especially the downhill part.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #3308
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,475 Times in 768 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I agree with Mike, do as many autocross events as you can. I've been doing them for a few years now and they definitely help. You can learn very quickly how the car will behave in transitions, sweepers, quick jerky movements, etc. A lot of the skills from autocross are required on track and transfer well. Heck, a lot of skills learned in autocross for car control and learning how the car behaves are a huge help in the real world too. If you ever have to dodge a dishwasher in your lane on the highway you know how the car will react, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I think some track organizations are trying to teach more of these skills in HPDE's. My last track weekend, the chief instructor specifically told our group that we shouldn't be lifting to let others pass. It made for an interesting dynamic.

With low hp cars like ours, it really forced you to pass off-line in corners with the other car not giving up much ground if any. Also when you were stuck behind a higher hp car, you'd have to think about where you could build enough speed to make the pass given he wouldn't lift (e.g., leaving space entering a corner and passing with higher exit speed). If you couldn't complete the pass by the end of the straight, you'd have to think about entering the corner two-wide, off-line at speed. It had some of the thrill of racing without being nearly as competitive.

They also had a combined HPDE3/4 group with 60+ cars on track, so during that session you were constantly off-line (either passing or being passed) and checking your mirrors. There were so many cars you couldn't see your reference points. It was one of the more fun track events I've had, even though there was more risk involved as well.
That sounds like a blast. Definitely something I'd prefer to do in the GTI though, due to the extra risk involved (and the GTI isn't quite so slow in the straights...) Down at Shenandoah I struggled with passing people because I'd set myself up for a pass and gain a ton of ground then have to lift and wait for a point-by... Pretty frustrating!

Which group were you running with?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #3309
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
That sounds like a blast. Definitely something I'd prefer to do in the GTI though, due to the extra risk involved (and the GTI isn't quite so slow in the straights...) Down at Shenandoah I struggled with passing people because I'd set myself up for a pass and gain a ton of ground then have to lift and wait for a point-by... Pretty frustrating!

Which group were you running with?
This was NASA's fall finale at Main. It seemed like an experimental thing because they were trying to get feedback on what people thought. A lot of people liked it, but some thought it was too risky or felt they didn't couldn't get clean laps in.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #3310
Icanfaptothis86
tickle fight referee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
There is somewhere in the control configuration where you can set how much real wheel turns the virtual wheel. It must be the same amount in both world. That would be linear.

Very often. Base setting are the more you are of center on the real wheel, the more the virtual wheel movement are amplified. That's exponential and that's undrivable shit.

By 1st gear engagement, I meant while braking. But if it's no problem, that's a good thing.

Very often base car setup are very bad, which can lead to your troubles in the last chicane. But that's just a difficult turn.

The middle part of the lap is very challenging. Any inaccuracy in the previous turn will put you in trouble in the next turn. That's not the case at Watkins Glen because turns are far apart.

Slow turns at Watkins Glen have the banking, which turns them in not so slow turns. It will not show all the bouncing you can get in last corner at Spa.

Jumping smoothly over curbs is a challenge, especially the downhill part.

Yea youre exactly right on the middle part of spa.... its odd tho that I can nail basically all the sections of the nurburgring with the exception of Adenaurer Forst section

You should do an ask me anything about sim racing thread

Electrical space wizard
Icanfaptothis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icanfaptothis86 For This Useful Post:
MaximeT (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #3311
MaximeT

Garage
Quote:
Yea youre exactly right on the middle part of spa.... its odd tho that I can nail basically all the sections of the nurburgring with the exception of Adenaurer Forst section

You should do an ask me anything about sim racing thread
This way we could stop polluting Mike's home
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #3312
Icanfaptothis86
tickle fight referee

Found this in an article ... gives me some consolation

When it comes to beer time in the bars after the ’Ring has closed, you wont find many people who haven’t got it all wrong at Adenauer Forst – 99 percent of the time, during their first few laps. Do your braking on the far right of the track while heading up to the blind crest (brake at or after the crest and you’re way too late), then turn in very late and aim for the kerbs on the left side of the track, that will put you in the best position for the right-hand section where you nail the throttle.

Electrical space wizard
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #3313
MaximeT

Garage
Quote:
Found this in an article ... gives me some consolation

When it comes to beer time in the bars after the ’Ring has closed, you wont find many people who haven’t got it all wrong at Adenauer Forst – 99 percent of the time, during their first few laps. Do your braking on the far right of the track while heading up to the blind crest (brake at or after the crest and you’re way too late), then turn in very late and aim for the kerbs on the left side of the track, that will put you in the best position for the right-hand section where you nail the throttle.
I dunno much about the ring. I need to learn it and go there. But the financial risk kind of kill my motivation.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #3314
Icanfaptothis86
tickle fight referee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
I dunno much about the ring. I need to learn it and go there. But the financial risk kind of kill my motivation.
what financial risk ?

Electrical space wizard
Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #3315
MaximeT

Garage
Quote:
what financial risk ?
The rail is 1m after the grass. 10m is 1000€. There is 3 rails on top of each others.

If you make a mistake, you don't only loose the car, but you need to pay for track damages.
CSG Mike (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #3316
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I did 6 laps at the 'ring with a rental from RSR Nurburg last year -- the ~40min safety meeting at the beginning was a laundry list of what things cost if you break them. Car, k-rail, paying for the track marshal's time and towing, plus specifics as to what individual items cost on the car.

That said, totally awesome and worth it!
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #3317
RacingCanuk

Drives: 2018 Golf Sportwagen 4Motion Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What's the best bang for the buck way to get enough negative camber, with stock suspension, for track days (high speed circuits)?

How about 'Crash bolts' in the front and White Line bushings in the rear? Will that be enough?
RacingCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #3318
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,475 Times in 768 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You don't really need more camber in the rear (for stock-ish tires anyway), you need camber adjustment. Most effective is the SPC lower arms, IMO. Any offset bushing is a gigantic pain in the ass.

Crash bolts up front is the the cheapest, but realistically camber plates are the better long term option if you want tires to last.

That said, my OEM Primacies held up very well on track with the factory alignment. Literally not even touched since it left the factory with terrible camber and everything.... YMMV
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote