follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
To go ever so mildly off-topic, I do wish the manual mode was as aggressive and quick in its shifting as the car is in Drive with Sport mode active. The hesitation between gear changes in manual feels like a lifetime compared to when the car is in Sport, and it's inconsistent in when and how it will shift up or down. And that said, the Sport mode is pretty intelligent when you're driving aggressively when it comes to holding a gear and downshifting under heavy braking.

To the OP, your question has been answered by several others, but don't treat the car like it's precious or made of glass. Properly maintained, the car will be very unlikely to have any serious issues, and what you're doing is no different than if you put your foot down on the gas pedal more while the car thinks for two seconds and skips down to the gear it needs... automatically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-26-2020), davesrave (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
To go ever so mildly off-topic, I do wish the manual mode was as aggressive and quick in its shifting as the car is in Drive with Sport mode active. The hesitation between gear changes in manual feels like a lifetime compared to when the car is in Sport, and it's inconsistent in when and how it will shift up or down. And that said, the Sport mode is pretty intelligent when you're driving aggressively when it comes to holding a gear and downshifting under heavy braking.
I've noticed no difference between auto and manual modes with this, although I rarely drive in auto with Sport mode activated. I'll have to try that to see if I see a difference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I've noticed no difference between auto and manual modes with this, although I rarely drive in auto with Sport mode activated. I'll have to try that to see if I see a difference.
My experience is it shifts a little faster in sport mode, but not earth shattering. I wonder myself if it’s real or perceived.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #18
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
My experience is it shifts a little faster in sport mode, but not earth shattering. I wonder myself if it’s real or perceived.
It’s real, sport shifts at around 3-3.5k rpm. If I’m doing the speed limit in sport I’ll sometimes notice the car sits in 3rd gear at about 3k rpm and I’ll pop it into manual and upshift myself. It downshifts a lot faster aswell when you start braking- feels like the car doesn’t roll with as much momentum if I’m coming to a stop in sport mode

It’s hard to say if it makes the car drive completely better or if it’s just good in certain driving scenarios
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
It’s real, sport shifts at around 3-3.5k rpm.
Yea, there is a definite difference in Auto with Sport mode on/off, but I thought @Earnest72 saying is the transmission seemed to shift faster in auto/sport than it did in manual/paddles.e

Maybe I misunderstood.

Regardless I drove it half way home tonight (split 40 miles) in both modes (AT/Sport and MT/Sport/NonSport) and couldn't tell a difference in the actual shift time.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 10-27-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #20
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, there is a difinite difference in Auto with Sport mode on/off, but I thought @Earnest72 saying is the transmission seemed to shift faster in auto/sport than it did in manual/paddles.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Regardless I drove it half way home tonight (split 40 miles) in both modes (AT/Sport and MT/Sport/NonSport) and couldn't tell a difference in the actual shift time.
I only drive the car in manual mode but thought the shifts were a bit snappier in sports mode.

OP I'm going to assume you mean driving on the highway in 6th and dropping it down to 4th quickly to accelerate. That's how it sounds to me. It'll be fine.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-27-2020), Overdrive (10-30-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #21
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
These rev match when you downshift right? Can't imagine it'd be a problem. Just figure you may want to change the AT fluid sooner than what the manual says if you drive it hard.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:12 AM   #22
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
It’s real, sport shifts at around 3-3.5k rpm. If I’m doing the speed limit in sport I’ll sometimes notice the car sits in 3rd gear at about 3k rpm and I’ll pop it into manual and upshift myself. It downshifts a lot faster aswell when you start braking- feels like the car doesn’t roll with as much momentum if I’m coming to a stop in sport mode

It’s hard to say if it makes the car drive completely better or if it’s just good in certain driving scenarios
I'm gonna blow your mind with this one...

You can use your paddles while in auto mode.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #23
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, there is a definite difference in Auto with Sport mode on/off, but I thought @Earnest72 saying is the transmission seemed to shift faster in auto/sport than it did in manual/paddles.e

Maybe I misunderstood.

You are correct, so it must be perceived.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-27-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 AM   #24
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The difference doesn't really reveal itself if you're just cruising around and driving pretty normally. It makes a difference during times where you're going WOT and braking heavily. I've noticed that the car upshifts faster in Sport. In manual I have to almost hit the paddle earlier than I'd think I need to in order for it to shift when I want it to, and the gear change isn't as quick into that next gear as it is in Sport. Downshifting in manual is sometimes pretty quick (referring to how quickly the transmission responds after a paddle pull), sometimes not so quick. The only way I can get the transmission to downshift in Sport is under heavy braking, and it will drop however many gears it needs to in order to keep the rpms up higher for when you get back on throttle.

So I guess if you can find yourself a nice lonely and twisty road, or ideally some track time, you'd be able to see what I mean. That's really the situation the mode was designed for. In any sort of normal driving all it will really do is hold the gears a little longer before shifting up, and usually stops itself at 4th gear at most road going speeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-30-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #25
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Since I mostly drive in manual mode, it has been a long time since I used the sport mode. But sports mode did not give any impression of quicker shifting. It just delays upshift, promotes downshift as I remember, effectively increasing the rpm at mostly lower speeds. I can do that much better myself as needed in the manual mode.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (11-03-2020)