follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turtle Wax Ceramic Black Spray Wax

Anyone used this and what's your impression/ how do you use it?

I mistook it for being the spray WET wax and thought it was going to be similar to apply as Meguiars Ceramic Wax and had a rough time with it.

I sprayed it on and by the time I went to spread it around it prior to wiping off- barely a minute later it had already dried and hazed, and I had to spend like 20 minutes buffing with multiple microfibre towels (which now have black residue still stained on the fabric even after being washed). Worried all the buffing I did caused some scratches (I didn't swirl though).

The finish seems alright, I suppose it does fill light scratches but I don't know that its significantly different from the meguiars ceramic wax or turtle spray wet wax which is significantly cheaper. Have to wait till tomorrow to see if there are any areas I still need to buff.

(Just wanted to point out when I applied it, the car was washed, dried and the weather wasn't hot or sunny)
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You should take care to read the instructions on the product label regardless of what type of product you're using- just like food, the devil is in the details. Or maybe it just sucks
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been using TW Ice Seal and Shine, works great. The problem with BSP is it pretty much stains no matter what, other than that it's a great wax for black cars. It definitely needs buffing if you want a proper layer of protection from either, but two or three quick light coats are better than one heavy one with these.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You should take care to read the instructions on the product label regardless of what type of product you're using- just like food, the devil is in the details. Or maybe it just sucks
Of course I read it, I was saying I bought it thinking it was wet wax and realised when it arrived.

Instructions just said to spray, spread then wipe off- leave it on until it hazes for best result. I did exactly that but after about 1 minute it had dried to the point it couldn’t be wiped off, so I had to wet a microfibre and spend a long time buffing.

Don’t see anything on the back saying I’ll have to buff the car, gives the impression the product can just be wiped off as if it was a detail spray
Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
I've been using TW Ice Seal and Shine, works great. The problem with BSP is it pretty much stains no matter what, other than that it's a great wax for black cars. It definitely needs buffing if you want a proper layer of protection from either, but two or three quick light coats are better than one heavy one with these.
Yea, I only bought it since I have a black car and have some minor scratches I wanted to see if it worked on, which to be honest it did. Final result I’m happy with- the issue is when the wax is removed, am I going to notice a bunch of new scratches caused from the strong buffing required after application
Old 10-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I haven't touched the new "ceramic" component kit. I used the more traditional black box wax they sold years ago.

Having filler components probably makes it a bit of a PITA to buff off. I recall a similar experience, but they included a black detail spray to make it simpler. Could be humidify related, but hard to say.

I've been using opti-coat Hyper-seal for over a year now. I'm finally down to my last of the bottle after 60+ uses on my/friends car. I love that stuff, probably one of the easiest best bang for buck sealants I've seen.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Yea, I only bought it since I have a black car and have some minor scratches I wanted to see if it worked on, which to be honest it did. Final result I’m happy with- the issue is when the wax is removed, am I going to notice a bunch of new scratches caused from the strong buffing required after application
You might, might not. Depends on the towels and all that. I buff with some 600GSM microfibers, they're nearly impossible to put too much pressure into. Black paint is super hard to keep nice because you can easily see every little defect under goodish or better light. The best way to avoid it is to not let the wax deteriorate too much before re-applying.

OTOH, for the actual scratches you're probably right where I am: needing a good strip wash, clay bar, and at least one pass with a good polishing compound. Even if you don't have a polisher a little elbow grease can really make the paint pop.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #8
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
You might, might not. Depends on the towels and all that. I buff with some 600GSM microfibers, they're nearly impossible to put too much pressure into. Black paint is super hard to keep nice because you can easily see every little defect under goodish or better light. The best way to avoid it is to not let the wax deteriorate too much before re-applying.

OTOH, for the actual scratches you're probably right where I am: needing a good strip wash, clay bar, and at least one pass with a good polishing compound. Even if you don't have a polisher a little elbow grease can really make the paint pop.
Just going to pay someone to do it eventually, the black turtle wax was just to see if I could get away with a few scratches.

Most of the scratches I have were caused from clay baring the car in preparation for doing a polish myself which was a failed attempt as the polisher I bought sucked (was too big and wasn't dual action) and the compound wasn't strong enough.

Got pretty much everything required to conduct swirl/ scratch "safe" washes so if I got a stage 1 detail I reckon I could probably maintain it for a very long time
Old 10-25-2020, 01:15 AM   #9
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I haven't touched the new "ceramic" component kit. I used the more traditional black box wax they sold years ago.

Having filler components probably makes it a bit of a PITA to buff off. I recall a similar experience, but they included a black detail spray to make it simpler. Could be humidify related, but hard to say.

I've been using opti-coat Hyper-seal for over a year now. I'm finally down to my last of the bottle after 60+ uses on my/friends car. I love that stuff, probably one of the easiest best bang for buck sealants I've seen.
Yea noticed the black fillers right away but was not prepared for the buffing effort required. Humidity shouldn't have been an issue for me as it was actually quite cold outside and very windy. Tried using my detail spray during the buff but all it seemed to do was spread the wax around rather than buff it off. Had more success just using a bit of water.

Might try your suggestion in future if it's on sale, currently for me it's double the price of this turtle wax which is already more expensive than what I used to use
Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
Sam86

Still don't understand this product.

Gave it another go today thinking maybe I left it too long my first go or maybe I used too much.

Used only 2 sprays, spread and immediately tried to wipe off as per instructions. "2 sprays per panel, spread and wipe, leave till it hazes for best results"

As you can see, that's what I was left with after buffing up and down/ side to side for several minutes with a decent amount of force. It's also cold and cloudy today to no chance of the weather being the cause. (the dark horizontal haze on the left side is the product that wasn't wiping off not a reflection/shadow)

Was only able to wipe it off after wetting my giant microfibre drying towel and using that. My small microfibres did nothing even with detail spray.

Nowhere does it recommend on the product to use a machine or anything specific to wipe off the wax. Also specifically states to use on a dry car, no mention of requiring water