follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VLAND turn signal wiring help needed quick

I have a 2016 86 (pre facelift) - currently have my bumper off trying to wire my VLAND for the boomerangs and turn signals. In all the videos I have watched, they have a black, green and red wire all connecting to their turn signal.

I have a red and a black wire connecting to my turn signal and a white and black wire running off that connecting to my FOG light.

Which wires am I meant to connect? I'm assuming black goes to the black in my indicator but then what do I connect the yellow and white to? Yellow to the red in my turn signal then white to the white in my fog light? even though my fog light has no DRL functionality? Very lost.
Also I do have another white wire from my side markers that work as DRLs, should I connect my wire to that?

EDIT
Won't let me delete this thread but everything was plug and play. All videos I watched whether that was an 86 or an FRS all had to use an adapter and wire their cables to their indicators for DRLS and turn signals. My car used both the BRZ/ 86 plugs with the standard VLAND and everythings working. Was very mislead by the videos I watched- even put off installing the headlights yesterday until today when I went and bought quick splice connectors which I now don't need, i'm assuming those were for the older 86's without FOG lights? or because mine is a GTS. No idea but I guess for anyone else with a 2015-2016 86 wanting VLANDS, don't watch any videos of the install because it's pure plug and play despite what the videos show.

The fitment isn't amazing though, took a little bit of effort to get the headlights lined up and whilst I can get the screws in I can't fit in the quick release screw

EDIT 2
Ok so my turn signals and everything works, however the boomerangs don't come on automatically like my stock headlights. I have to flick it off auto to on which also turns on my rear taillights. Is this normal with VLANDS or do I have to do something else to get the DRLS working automatically?

Last edited by Sam86; 06-18-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
My boomerangs come on when the lights are on and when the parking lights are on. I don't run my lights in auto ever. Boomerangs don't come on with my bumper DRLs. I didn't feel like messing with the wiring to figure this out, so if someone does figure this out that would be great.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #3
Sam86

Yea mine are the same, I run the parking lights sometimes when I drive for the boomerangs but don't like to since i've got the valentis I sometimes worry the person behind me will think the red light is me using my brake light when I flip it on or off.

Ohwell somewhat glad it's normal, thought I wired it wrong as I took out that 3 pin cable that was already connected to my VLAND and just plugged the 3pin from my car directly into it.
There is a white cable running from it so i'm curious if I connected that, then swapped the white cable from the 3pin with the already connected white cable on the 8 pin that the DRLs might work.

Overall happy with the purchase, they look great and despite what I heard about their light output I really don't notice any lack of vision from my stock headlights but prefer the pure white output i'm getting from the 6000kw D2H
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (11-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hoping you know this, as I assume that the Aus 86 / GT86 is the same as the UK, but the DRLs don't activate until you drop the handbrake on Auto. If the boomerangs aren't on, what are the DRLs?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Hoping you know this, as I assume that the Aus 86 / GT86 is the same as the UK, but the DRLs don't activate until you drop the handbrake on Auto. If the boomerangs aren't on, what are the DRLs?
Never noticed that in my car before switching to the VLAND's, pretty sure they always remained as I don't recall noticing them ever being off whilst the car was running in instances where I got out of my car whilst parked, with it running just to look at the lights (was doing this when I first got the car to see if the FOG lights were automatic or not)

Despite that, i've checked in the reflection of cars infront of me whilst driving and the boomerangs definitely aren't on when the car is in auto, with handbreak down unless I flip it from auto to the parking light switch on my VLANDs in which case I do see them turn on.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I have the vertical DRLs on my 2017+ BRZ bumper and had the horizontal DRLs on my old bumper, but I’ll drop the hand brake to see if that activates them. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t because I have seen the reflection in other cars.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stock DRLs turn off if you have the headlights on don't they? So you'd need to have BOTH the handbrake down and the headlights off.

Also, DRLs and the boomerang lights are different. Boomerangs are parking-light related, not DRL. Don't confuse the two. This is the reason Always-On modules were made.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Irace86.2.0

I actually used the Always-On module that I had with the original headlights hoping it would work with the Vlands, which it did allow the DRLs to run and dim when the headlights come on, but the boomerangs aren’t always on.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #9
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Irace86.2.0 @Sam86 it's only the initial handbrake off that turns them on, i.e. once on, they remain on, not switching off every time you put the handbrake on. Either way, doesn't seem to be your issue.

On the UK cars, the DRL is:
Off: ?? Can't remembers, believe this puts the DRLs on full when handbrake dropped.
Auto: On once handbrake dropped, dim when HID lights on
Manual Sidelight: Dim
Manual Headlights: Dim

Without checking the wiring, that would make sense that there is a separate trigger for when the are switched on in manual. Maybe the VLANDs don't use the main DRL trigger. I assume they aren't designed to dim when the lights come on?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
@Irace86.2.0 @Sam86 it's only the initial handbrake off that turns them on, i.e. once on, they remain on, not switching off every time you put the handbrake on. Either way, doesn't seem to be your issue.

On the UK cars, the DRL is:
Off: ?? Can't remembers, believe this puts the DRLs on full when handbrake dropped.
Auto: On once handbrake dropped, dim when HID lights on
Manual Sidelight: Dim
Manual Headlights: Dim

Without checking the wiring, that would make sense that there is a separate trigger for when the are switched on in manual. Maybe the VLANDs don't use the main DRL trigger. I assume they aren't designed to dim when the lights come on?
When my car was stock, all lights were off when the car was powered on. When I dropped the handbrake the DRLs came on. If I use the handbrake at any time then the DRLs go off like on a hill to assist with taking off from a stoplight or to rest my foot off the brake at a light on a slight slope. The boomerangs came on with the lights were turned to the parking lights or on/auto-on; the DRLs stay on then too. When the lights were turned to on/auto-on then the DRLs turned off.

When I got the Always-On module, the boomerangs were on all the time, and I am pretty sure the DRLs still turned on and off with the handbrake. The DRLs dimmed to 50% when the lights were in on/auto-on.

I just checked right now, and the boomerangs don't come on unless the lights are turned to the parking lights or on/auto-on. The vertical DRL's were custom wired into the existing harness for the Always-On wiring on my 2017+ BRZ bumper. They come on/off with the handbrake, and they stay on during any light mod, but I don't think they dim to 50%.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
sharpsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
When my car was stock, all lights were off when the car was powered on. When I dropped the handbrake the DRLs came on. If I use the handbrake at any time then the DRLs go off like on a hill to assist with taking off from a stoplight or to rest my foot off the brake at a light on a slight slope. The boomerangs came on with the lights were turned to the parking lights or on/auto-on; the DRLs stay on then too. When the lights were turned to on/auto-on then the DRLs turned off.

When I got the Always-On module, the boomerangs were on all the time, and I am pretty sure the DRLs still turned on and off with the handbrake. The DRLs dimmed to 50% when the lights were in on/auto-on.

I just checked right now, and the boomerangs don't come on unless the lights are turned to the parking lights or on/auto-on. The vertical DRL's were custom wired into the existing harness for the Always-On wiring on my 2017+ BRZ bumper. They come on/off with the handbrake, and they stay on during any light mod, but I don't think they dim to 50%.
This sounds like the new boomerangs aren't wired to the Always On module correctly.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
This sounds like the new boomerangs aren't wired to the Always On module correctly.
The Always-On module is just a plug and play unit that plugs into the factory harness and the headlight harness, so if it worked for the OEM headlights then it should work for the Vlands, but it obviously doesn't because they must be pinned slightly different.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
sharpsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The Always-On module is just a plug and play unit that plugs into the factory harness and the headlight harness, so if it worked for the OEM headlights then it should work for the Vlands, but it obviously doesn't because they must be pinned slightly different.
Exactly. The Always-On no longer interacts with the correct wire for the boomerang. Fix that wiring and it'll work.

If that's the way the headlights wired up internally causing the problem, that might not be practical. Not sure how the VLAND wiring is, do you have to rewire anything from factory or are they plug-and-play?

EDIT: Also, if you can let me know what model year your BRZ is I can look at the wiring and try and figure out what should go where.

Last edited by sharpsicle; 06-23-2020 at 08:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #14
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Exactly. The Always-On no longer interacts with the correct wire for the boomerang. Fix that wiring and it'll work.

If that's the way the headlights wired up internally causing the problem, that might not be practical. Not sure how the VLAND wiring is, do you have to rewire anything from factory or are they plug-and-play?

EDIT: Also, if you can let me know what model year your BRZ is I can look at the wiring and try and figure out what should go where.
The wiring is plug and play on the Vland headlights and the module. 2013 BRZ.