follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
DrivingisReligion
Sleeper

Drives: WRB_BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wrap cat on ft86 catted UEL header?

I'm planning to wrap and DEI hi temp silicone spray my new ft86speedfactory UEL catted headers, question is, if I should wrap the cat? Or just wrap the pipes and leave the cat exposed but spray it with DEI spray when I spray the headers after wrapping?

Asking because I read somewhere, wrapping cat retains more heat in it.

Thanks!
DrivingisReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The purpose of the wrap is to keep the heat inside the pipe and out of the engine bay. If you race the car and are chasing 10ths of a second then wrap the cat. If not then don't worry about it.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
DrivingisReligion (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,143 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Did you opt for the ceramic coating they provide?
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
DrivingisReligion
Sleeper

Drives: WRB_BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Did you opt for the ceramic coating they provide?
Nope. Ceramic coating only protects from the rust, a wrap actually keeps the temps down but there are chances of getting rust, which is a risk I'm willing to take.
DrivingisReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,349 Times in 7,393 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingisReligion View Post
Nope. Ceramic coating only protects from the rust, a wrap actually keeps the temps down but there are chances of getting rust, which is a risk I'm willing to take.
Ceramic coating helps keep temps down too. Not as effective as wrapping, but it is effective. Most headers are stainless nowadays anyway so rust prevention isn't the issue that it used to be. I can't think of one that is not stainless anymore.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Ceramic coating helps keep temps down too. Not as effective as wrapping, but it is effective. Most headers are stainless nowadays anyway so rust prevention isn't the issue that it used to be. I can't think of one that is not stainless anymore.
Stainless is definitely not the same as rust proof. And header wrap definitely exacerbates that issue.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingisReligion View Post
Proper ceramic coating does work as a thermal insulator. Not the crap that comes in a can, but a local shop that does a baked on ceramic coating. It definitely carries a better finish and is leaps and bounds easier to maintain.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,349 Times in 7,393 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Stainless is definitely not the same as rust proof. And header wrap definitely exacerbates that issue.
Yes I am well aware. Most that I find are 304 and with hard running and header wrap you could easily put them into their transition temperature which also exacerbates the issue. I used to strongly be against header wraps on motorcycles since the extremely thin tubing they used would just disintegrate when you wrapped them after a couple years of hard use. You can hit it with a light pickleing solution which helps them out, since a lot of companies don't bother to properly passivate stainless parts.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,597 Times in 2,935 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No point wrapping your cat. Just leave it alone. It's going to get hot as hell. As for wrapping in general, if you are worried about rust, the wrapping will retain the moisture far more than ceramic coating. Besides, as long as you are not sitting in traffic for hours in hot weather, it will be fine. Trust me, I've never worried about melting something in my engine bay in the middle of the 105 degree Texas summer. Plus in Florida is more humid and rains more frequently.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
No point wrapping your cat. Just leave it alone. It's going to get hot as hell. As for wrapping in general, if you are worried about rust, the wrapping will retain the moisture far more than ceramic coating. Besides, as long as you are not sitting in traffic for hours in hot weather, it will be fine. Trust me, I've never worried about melting something in my engine bay in the middle of the 105 degree Texas summer. Plus in Florida is more humid and rains more frequently.

I just bought some stainless uncoated headers for my car and I'm a bit concerned given the amount of heat protection that the stock headers have. So I decided to wrap the headers up to the cat in the DEI Titanium stuff which is basalt and not fiberglass. I'm not too worried about moisture since it rarely rains in Cali and I have the option not to drive the car when it does.

How many folks out there run uncoated and unwrapped headers? It seems to me it's like 99% of the youtube and pictures I see are just bare stainless.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
Interflop

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by doku View Post
How many folks out there run uncoated and unwrapped headers? It seems to me it's like 99% of the youtube and pictures I see are just bare stainless.
I'm not running anything on my JDL UEL header. The only issues I've heard with aftermarket UEL headers are coil packs failing under heavy track use which I think is more a problem with the UEL design and not the header itself.
Interflop is offline   Reply With Quote