follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #85
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wouldn't the older cars without nannies be still easier and more fluid to handle with cable throttle, hydraulic steering, etc, than modern cars with the nannies turned off yet have all these laggy by wire stuff plus more overall weight? I never hear anyone mentioning these factors.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #86
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Interesting... I thought I would get more of a response when I am accusing the TC system of nearly killing me, even though it was "disabled"......
That's cause TC does intervene even though its off... I can 100% of the time make TC activate on the uphill intersection coming out of my house when I have all the nanies off...

I'm a nannies off all the time guy.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #87
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Wouldn't the older cars without nannies be still easier and more fluid to handle with cable throttle, hydraulic steering, etc, than modern cars with the nannies turned off yet have all these laggy by wire stuff plus more overall weight? I never hear anyone mentioning these factors.
These cars are quite light, and electronic systems aren't really laggy. The only part that's a bit annoying is that they never really turn off. Cable throttles sometimes have noticeably better throttle response, but IIRC the "lagginess" of the BRZ throttle (the part that I usually notice is how slowly the throttle seems to close when you get off the gas pedal) is an intentional behavior that can be eliminated with a flash.

IMHO the car isn't harder to control than an older car. There are analog cars with better throttle response and more steering feedback, but there are also analog cars with worse throttle response and steering feedback. Implementation has way more effect on the feel of a car than the type of system used. WRT our cars, yeah, the computers can be killjoys, but I've yet to experience a situation where the computers caused anything dangerous to happen.

In terms of controlling the car it's always seemed like-- when turned off-- the computers don't really intervene until they think the driver has lost control (and much of the time not even then). In my own testing I had a few strange incidents where the car would brake the outside front wheel to kill a slide that I felt like I was in complete control of, but for the most part the computers seemed to tolerate pretty big slides so long as you stayed on top of the car.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #88
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Even with it all off (hitting both TC and VSC simultaneously for several seconds) it is not all off -- there is something called auto LSD (Limited Slip Differential) that is still active. The only way to truly have Everything off is to do the 'pedal dance', which puts it into diagnostic mode.
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #89
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So I finally bought a BRZ, and I'd like to tell everyone that I actually drive with all the "Nannys" on. One of my reasons is that it's spring and in Tennessee during the spring time, it rains ALL THE TIME and randomly too. So it's better to be safe than sorry, I haven't actually had a chance to turn off everything and test it all out yet.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #90
Gilwith1l

Drives: stock brz. saving my money for ls1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nannies off all the time. The car does some weird things with them on and it is quite distracting
Gilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #91
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I usually drive in VSC sport when it's dry out. Let's me have some fun without getting crazy. It's still pretty limiting though. Tried to swing the tail out today for my brother and he wasn't impressed Traction control kicked in early.

If it's wet or snow, everything on.

I only turn everything off when I'm not around other cars.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #92
Formula Vee
Lando.Ricciardo.Hamilton.

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Everything off in dry weather, everything on in rain or snow.

The nannies are way too aggressive, even with relatively tame driving. Every once in a while I forget to disable them before I get going, and I often later get that "did I just lose a cylinder?" feeling in the middle of a turn. And then I find myself shouting "really?!" at the little yellow light.

Last edited by Formula Vee; 04-20-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Formula Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #93
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
I've driven mine for most of the winter with TC and VSC off (no pedal dance), and found it very manageable
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #94
Formula Vee
Lando.Ricciardo.Hamilton.

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I've driven mine for most of the winter with TC and VSC off (no pedal dance), and found it very manageable
I don't doubt that, but there's just no point as far as I'm concerned. I just don't push the car with snow or rain on the ground and so the nannies aren't going to ruin my fun. (But may very well save my ass.)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #95
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Vee View Post
I don't doubt that, but there's just no point as far as I'm concerned. I just don't push the car with snow or rain on the ground and so the nannies aren't going to ruin my fun. (But may very well save my ass.)
You're missing out. Of course, only do this in a nice big, empty (and well-lit) parking lot.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote