follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Release Bearing or Pilot Bearing

When I release the clutch (push the pedal to the floor) from a dead stop, I hear a squeaking/grinding noise and my car wants to stall.
I've done a lot of forum searches around the web and there seems to be a lot of confusion about which bearing causes this noise in this situation.

Any input?
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
When I release the clutch (push the pedal to the floor) from a dead stop, I hear a squeaking/grinding noise and my car wants to stall.
I've done a lot of forum searches around the web and there seems to be a lot of confusion about which bearing causes this noise in this situation.

Any input?
we call it a throw-out bearing.
but if clutch not releasing when depressed it likely to be damaged clutch and\or pressure plate unless the bearing is completly ceased. While its apart you might as well replace the lot with an uprated unit if not done already.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
+1^^^ Don't try driving it. Have it trailered to the shop if you're not doing the clutch job yourself.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+2^
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #5
Cal3000

I really have no choice as I don't have any other modes of transportation during the week. I just ordered a new clutch today and wont be getting it until Wednesday. From my research, it seems to be the pilot bearing which isn't as dangerous as a failing throw out bearing which can damage the transmission.

From what I see with my car, there is no noise after the car launches. Only at idle and launch. So the bearing doesn't seem to be in use when cursing. The release bearing(throw out) is constantly spinning when the clutch is engaged.
The Pilot bearing (seated in between the flywheel) connects to the input shaft. The main purpose is to guide the input shaft. So, when I start the car, input shaft has no rotation, pilot bearing begins spinning, then the pilot bearing is in use. When the clutch is engage, the pilot bearing is not in use, so no sound.
Delicious Tuning
Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
I really have no choice as I don't have any other modes of transportation during the week. I just ordered a new clutch today and wont be getting it until Wednesday. From my research, it seems to be the pilot bearing which isn't as dangerous as a failing throw out bearing which can damage the transmission.

From what I see with my car, there is no noise after the car launches. Only at idle and launch. So the bearing doesn't seem to be in use when cursing. The release bearing(throw out) is constantly spinning when the clutch is engaged.
The Pilot bearing (seated in between the flywheel) connects to the input shaft. The main purpose is to guide the input shaft. So, when I start the car, input shaft has no rotation, pilot bearing begins spinning, then the pilot bearing is in use. When the clutch is engage, the pilot bearing is not in use, so no sound.
Throw out bearing or thrust bearing is only in use when clutch pedal is depessed its the one that presses on pressure plate fingers to disengage clutch. when clutch pedal is released and your moving in gear it aint used.

see link below, unless we are getting our terminology all messed up due different countries

http://www.ehow.com/about_5456365_throwout-bearing.html

Last edited by steve99; 01-27-2015 at 05:51 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
86to86

Drives: FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To test throwout/release bearing:

Drive steady speed somewhere quiet

Push pedal part way down, not far enough to release the clutch

Throwout bearing will spin, pilot bearing will not.

(Is that right? My poor old brain can't work very well this morning)
86to86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86to86 View Post
To test throwout/release bearing:

Drive steady speed somewhere quiet

Push pedal part way down, not far enough to release the clutch

Throwout bearing will spin, pilot bearing will not.

(Is that right? My poor old brain can't work very well this morning)
Pilot bearing spins so the crankshaft can rotate around the input shaft when the clutch is disengaged. Neither pilot nor throwout bearing spin when clutch is engaged.

OP, I strongly advise against driving it but if you insist, learn to shift without the clutch. Refrain from depressing it except to start from a dead stop. This will be your <ahem> crash course in rev matching. It won't last long.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
86to86

Drives: FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Pilot bearing spins so the crankshaft can rotate around the input shaft when the clutch is disengaged. Neither pilot nor throwout bearing spin when clutch is engaged.
I was referring to that in-between condition where the stationary clutch fork contacts the throwout bearing, but clutch is still engaged and rotating. If the throwout bearing itself doesn't spin smoothly, it will make noise.

But you're right, this one sounds like it's gone too far and OP probably shouldn't be driving it.
86to86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I was referring to that in-between condition where the stationary clutch fork contacts the throwout bearing, but clutch is still engaged and rotating. If the throwout bearing itself doesn't spin smoothly, it will make noise.

But you're right, this one sounds like it's gone too far and OP probably shouldn't be driving it.
Oh, yeah! That makes perfect sense. Then if it starts to squeak or make noise when the clutch is disengaged - pilot bearing.

That's good stuff. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Cal3000

Quote:

From that, I believe it isn't the throwout bearing. There is no noise at constant speeds during shift. There is noise however when I hold the clutch down too long. The input shaft begins to slow down and the pilot bearing begins to spin.

Release bearing always makes noise when the clutch is engaged if it is damaged.
Pilot bearing makes noise when the clutch is pressed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boPbjotHSE0"]Clutch release bearing/throwout bearing squealing noise - YouTube[/ame]

I fear the throwout bearing more as that can disintegrate and get caught up in the transmission and cause failure.
Delicious Tuning
Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

I've never experienced a pilot bearing failure so I'm especially curious in hearing of the outcome. Good luck with the repair.