follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 07-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #197
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there no way to run a scope down from the top of the oil system to look at that filter from the top side? Meaning not having to drop the pan?
Old 07-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #198
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aon View Post
Another guy just dropped his pan... 01/22 Build Date. 6,XXX miles.

Maybe we need a "Show us your oil pickup!" thread.
So this guy dropped his pan to check or his engine took a poop already? If you drop your pan without observing problems:

1. If there is no blockage at that time, doesn't mean it can't develop later.
2. If you dropped the pan without observing problems and you do find some blockage, now what? Bearings could have been starved for a while but not enough yet to spin. Suby/Toyota is not going to replace your engine just because you "found" it. In this scenario, I rather let it blow and get a new engine. And no.1 still applies if you clean it up.
3. Any "unauthorized" work can lead to denial of claim later on.

While I also thought about dropping the pan myself initially learning about this, after some thought, I would highly recommend against it. Just send it hard and hope it blows (or not).
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
22 BRZ (07-31-2022), DylanJZA (07-31-2022), timurrrr (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 02:48 PM   #199
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Quote:

Another guy in the comments has shown his as well, build date 12/2021. He simply pulled his pan to check and clean all of it out :/

His motor is fine for now however.

One of the mods has put forth the theory that the QA hold earlier this year was to address this issue before cars made it to customers. I think someone had already mentioned that in this thread, but IMO it definitely could be the case.

Last edited by DylanJZA; 07-31-2022 at 03:00 PM.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:04 PM   #200
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Confirmed brz #2 with this issue
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:25 PM   #201
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Providing a summary of my situation via a copy-paste of my Facebook post.
If this asshole is a well known drifter then you should try to warn people in the community about him that he's essentially a narc. That should get him stigmatized.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #202
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Yogurt View Post
They already do this by the very nature of their shoddy manufacturing, apparently.

I'm sure Toyota is THRILLED they are having to shell out thousands of dollars per car again for a mistake they didn't make.
Ahhh but see that is the trick and where the conspiracy theories fall apart.
Toyota buys the cars from Subaru. That means costs due to factory defects will go right back to Subaru. Toyota wont be out a penny.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:43 PM   #203
22 BRZ

Welp, you sure can't see much from underneath with the pan flange being so wide, but the one area I could feel seemed to have more squeeze out than I'm used to seeing in my line of work (which is quite different to automotive, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much on that). I do think that this is one of those times Id rather the sealant was weighted towards the outside than the inside. At least then the worst thing would be an oil leak, which I could catch...

I thought about bringing this up with my dealer to see if they want to take a preventative look at it. However, since my car is exclusively road driven (and not very aggressively), I think I'd be at a very low risk of failure, and I'm not sure what I'd hope to accomplish...

I think @Petah78 makes a very good point. There isn't really a way to head this off. Just have to drive it, and let the chips fall where they may. And if my car is fairly gently driven, and I get a failure outside of warranty, and iot isn't covered by a TSB, that just means an excuse for the wife and I to EJ or LS swap it (not serious, but also very serious!)
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #204
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Subaru started delivering first. America saw BRZ's as early as July/August of 2021. GR86's didnt start to touch America until January/February of 2022.

Subarus have been on the road longer and likely have more miles than gr86's do.

If it has to do with early production models, id expect early model BRZ's to have already had issues, which i havent heard of any

UNLESS subaru is sabotaging gr86's
22 brzs started showing up in november in the US. ordering opened up at the end of july.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
Rustyoid (08-02-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #205
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
My car with a build date of 04/22 still have the hyperflash problem so that is not resolved yet. As such, I doubt the QC hold in Jan/Feb was related. I have been reading more about this Jan/FEb QC hold, do you have more info about this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The QC hold could have been just about anything. The most probable was that it was not to "repair" an issue but because they did not have all the parts to finish the vehicles at that time. There were thousands of vehicles waiting on QC hold and many more right this moment because they were waiting for needed parts.
Purely speculating: it's possible that the QC hold was in fact related and it was a stop production / stop sale order due to this discovered.
But after doing their bean counting they've decided the cost/risk is such that it's better for them to just sell the cars with the known manufacturing problem that might affect only a small % of a small total volume of cars produced, than to issue a recall and get bad PR.

Maybe they miscalculated ("My risk was calculated, but boy am I bad at math").

Or maybe they correctly guestimated that many of the early cars went to "enthusiasts" who are going to drive just hard enough to be able to deny warranty if needed; and the oil blockage/starvation is so much more likely to affect people who stay at the rev limiter for extended periods of time.

Also, a lot of early GR86s were automatics, and the AT doesn't like to go all the way to the rev limiter unless you're flooring it.

Quote:
GR86's didnt start to touch America until January/February of 2022.
I know people who got their GR86's in December.

Quote:
If it has to do with early production models, id expect early model BRZ's to have already had issues, which i havent heard of any

UNLESS subaru is sabotaging gr86's
You're assuming that all early cars had the same problem. It's possible that the earliest BRZs didn't have the problem, and then some robot got its calibration messed up, or they've "optimized" something incorrectly.
DylanJZA (07-31-2022), mycrors7 (07-31-2022), Opie (08-02-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #206
22 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
You're assuming that all early cars had the same problem. It's possible that the earliest BRZs didn't have the problem, and then some robot got its calibration messed up, or they've "optimized" something incorrectly.
That's what I'm thinking (or hoping for, given my car was in the first batch that came over here). The initial run is always going to have more scrutiny/qualifications going on it, but once that goes away, and all the parts go on to their sampling plans, the chances of a calibration issue going unnoticed go up. Again, I don't work in the automotive industry, but the general rules of production system design are pretty similar across industries.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #207
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
Welp, you sure can't see much from underneath with the pan flange being so wide, but the one area I could feel seemed to have more squeeze out than I'm used to seeing in my line of work (which is quite different to automotive, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much on that). I do think that this is one of those times Id rather the sealant was weighted towards the outside than the inside. At least then the worst thing would be an oil leak, which I could catch...

I thought about bringing this up with my dealer to see if they want to take a preventative look at it. However, since my car is exclusively road driven (and not very aggressively), I think I'd be at a very low risk of failure, and I'm not sure what I'd hope to accomplish...

I think @Petah78 makes a very good point. There isn't really a way to head this off. Just have to drive it, and let the chips fall where they may. And if my car is fairly gently driven, and I get a failure outside of warranty, and iot isn't covered by a TSB, that just means an excuse for the wife and I to EJ or LS swap it (not serious, but also very serious!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Purely speculating: it's possible that the QC hold was in fact related and it was a stop production / stop sale order due to this discovered.
But after doing their bean counting they've decided the cost/risk is such that it's better for them to just sell the cars with the known manufacturing problem that might affect only a small % of a small total volume of cars produced, than to issue a recall and get bad PR.

Maybe they miscalculated ("My risk was calculated, but boy am I bad at math").

Or maybe they correctly guestimated that many of the early cars went to "enthusiasts" who are going to drive just hard enough to be able to deny warranty if needed; and the oil blockage/starvation is so much more likely to affect people who stay at the rev limiter for extended periods of time.

Also, a lot of early GR86s were automatics, and the AT doesn't like to go all the way to the rev limiter unless you're flooring it.

I know people who got their GR86's in December.

The assumption that it’s will only be an issue with hard use and tracked cars is a bit of a trap.
Oil starvation due to blocked passages is every bit as possible sitting at an idle or just driving casually.
It isn’t as if the track driving is the cause.
22 BRZ (07-31-2022), ATL BRZ (08-02-2022), DylanJZA (07-31-2022), Opie (08-02-2022), Petah78 (07-31-2022), villainous_frx (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:48 PM   #208
22 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The assumption that it’s will only be an issue with hard use and tracked cars is a bit of a trap.
Oil starvation due to blocked passages is every bit as possible sitting at an idle or just driving casually.
It isn’t as if the track driving is the cause.
Yeah if enough of the inlet gets covered, won't matter how the car is driven, it's going bang.

I guess I was thinking if I only had a small blockage, and don't push it too hard (I'm never WOT for more than 7 or 8 seconds at a time), I would still get away with the amount of oil flow left. Or is that a fallacy as well?

I'm extremely frustrated by this. I know the old adage about not buying a first MY car, but I thought this one was safe given how much of a carry over it was. Although this issue does seem like more of a manufacturing issue than a design issue, but still...
Old 07-31-2022, 05:59 PM   #209
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
22 brzs started showing up in november in the US. ordering opened up at the end of july.
I know BRZ owners who got their cars in August and September
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:41 PM   #210
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know BRZ owners who got their cars in August and September
You know people who got their cars the month ordering opened?

Tags
oh no not again