follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #127
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi02 View Post
Hello. I'm a new owner of 2013 Toyota 86. I'm planning to change my brake calipers to an OEM Subaru 06-07 WRX Brake Calipers. will these fit? Should I change my rotors?
Any reason why your doing it? Just want the looks?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #128
ninzuh

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I have a MY2013 FR-S with 90k miles. I'm in the midst of a suspension refresh for the car but am looking ahead towards brakes. In addition to pads, my front rotors are slightly warped and will need replacing. The car is a DD first and foremost but sees a lot of use on weekends on back roads and a track day or auto-x session is on my mind come spring. The car is on stock all seasons.

Given this criteria, I was just going to replace the rotors with a new set of OEM rotors and go with the Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear. I will also be flushing fluid with a higher temp fluid.

Will the OEM rotors suffice given the car is primarily a DD? Are the Ferodo's too much much of an in between pad or do you think the "hybrid" nature of the pad will be up to the task?

Any input is appreciated.
ninzuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #129
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Rotors are fine just get centric parts. Cheaper and just as good. Your in the right track with that setup.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #130
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninzuh View Post
Will the OEM rotors suffice given the car is primarily a DD? Are the Ferodo's too much much of an in between pad or do you think the "hybrid" nature of the pad will be up to the task?

Any input is appreciated.
Centric high carbon content blanks are what you want. You can get these on rockauto. That's basically what I'd recommend from DD's to full track cars. Why blanks? Because you want as much useful thermal mass as possible. F1 runs blanks for a reason.
WOJO (05-23-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #131
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Centric high carbon content blanks are what you want. You can get these on rockauto. That's basically what I'd recommend from DD's to full track cars. Why blanks? Because you want as much useful thermal mass as possible. F1 runs blanks for a reason.
High carbon content rotors may reduce the bite, not sure how much increase you’re talking abour, but it is something to consider.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #132
God_speed

Drives: GT86/968CS
Hi guys!
I'm going to upgrade my GT86 ('13) braking system. I'll strictly be using it for the public road (sporty drives in the Adrennes / Eifel / Alps), but I'm looking for a bit more bite to reasure me whilst driving. I'm going to go for the PFC Z-rated pads (and PFC racing brake fluid). These pads are only available for the front. So at the back I intend to stick to the OEM pads (given that the Ferodo semi-racing that my 'performance shop' suggested me might be noisy). Where can I best get these OEM parts, at my Toyota dealer or somewhere online too? Dito for the discs, my 'performance shop' is advising me Zimmermann (294 x 24 mm at the front and 290 x 18 mm), or do you guys think that OEM dics are in this case still the better option?
Thx!
God_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #133
God_speed

Drives: GT86/968CS
Got the discs, fluid and pads and planning on doing the job with a friend on Saturday. Do you guys also always replace the wear indicator? Anything else I should specificaly know or look at for the 86?
God_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:02 AM   #134
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@JRitt just read your guide on brake pads - in your opinion what would be a good interval for rotating them? I suppose the intervals would differ whether the car is track-only/double duty/street only and between the fronts/rears.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #135
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
@JRitt just read your guide on brake pads - in your opinion what would be a good interval for rotating them? I suppose the intervals would differ whether the car is track-only/double duty/street only and between the fronts/rears.

You just have to do it by need. There is no set interval, and there are too many variables involved to have a set interval. Visually inspect, and always be sure to check the inner pads. If you haven't seen my other guide on track pads, this one has some valuable tidbits for you as well...link below. Thanks!

Essex Track and Racing Pad Owner's Guide
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
Compelica (12-16-2021)
Old 07-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #136
Will_

Drives: '23 GR86 Neptune PMT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
On track, do the front and rear brakes typically run at similar temps, or is there enough of a difference to justify different pad compounds?

On my previous track car (MK7 GTI) the rear brakes were practically disconnected, they ran about 300f cooler than the fronts and after 55k miles and 20 track days the rear rotor was only worn about .5mm. I assume on this platform however it is more evenly distributed.

My car will be dailied and see 8-12 track days a year. Since I live in an apartment and don’t have much space to work on my car, ideally what I would like to do is run the same rear pads year round (probably DS2500 or similar) and just swap fronts at the track same day. So my track setup would be DS3.12 front and DS2500 rear. Will be running at most a 245 200tw tire, but likely 225/40/18 street tires for the first 6-10 track days. Feasible? Or do I just suck it up and get to the track earlier to swap both front/rear pads?
Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #137
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
By my experience rears on average see half the wear the fronts. But still, i wouldn't do staggered pad choice front-rear unless i did lot of research/testing and my non-standard aero downforce setup or non-stock brake bias BBK requires bias shift back. Stock brakes (and most properly designed aftermarket BBKs) have specific brake bias that is close to optimal for our car weight distribution/aero balance, both braking path & braking safety wise. If you happen to still use electronic nannies (such as EBD), i guess they also may expect specific brake bias to be there. Just like how it's better on twins to stick with non-staggered square tire sizing, imho better stick with same pads all around too, as various compounds have various brake friction (even more so, changing differently at different temps) and have various temp operating windows.
I also live in apartment, so i bought some tools to ease switching pads. Like light alu hydraulic jack, electric with accumulators torque wrench to quicken work with lugnuts, adjustable torque wrench to not overtighten lugnuts, rachet with ends for undoing calipers, brake caliper spreading tool, syringe (to remove excess brake fluid if needed), extra brake fluid, wire brush for cleaning, boxes/bag to store all that, brake caliper grease/brake caliper cleaning aerosols, WD40 & kitchen paper towel roll to clean tools and hands .
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:24 PM   #138
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I do 3-4 track events per season. I leave my Carbotech xp8's on the car and take them off over the winter. I have a short commute to work. After work, the squeaking lets my wife know when I pull into my driveway.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #139
Stonehorsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
By my experience rears on average see half the wear the fronts. But still, i wouldn't do staggered pad choice front-rear unless i did lot of research/testing and my non-standard aero downforce setup or non-stock brake bias BBK requires bias shift back. Stock brakes (and most properly designed aftermarket BBKs) have specific brake bias that is close to optimal for our car weight distribution/aero balance, both braking path & braking safety wise. If you happen to still use electronic nannies (such as EBD), i guess they also may expect specific brake bias to be there. Just like how it's better on twins to stick with non-staggered square tire sizing, imho better stick with same pads all around too, as various compounds have various brake friction (even more so, changing differently at different temps) and have various temp operating windows.
I also live in apartment, so i bought some tools to ease switching pads. Like light alu hydraulic jack, electric with accumulators torque wrench to quicken work with lugnuts, adjustable torque wrench to not overtighten lugnuts, rachet with ends for undoing calipers, brake caliper spreading tool, syringe (to remove excess brake fluid if needed), extra brake fluid, wire brush for cleaning, boxes/bag to store all that, brake caliper grease/brake caliper cleaning aerosols, WD40 & kitchen paper towel roll to clean tools and hands .
The problem is that, at least on gen1, there is not much information regarding oem pad material. For Gen2, the setup is staggered with more apparent friction on fronts than on rears, therefore if you run a square aftermarket friction setup, it would move the brake bias 5-10% rearwards
If concerned about electronics, than this should be compensated with staggered friction or calipers.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:41 AM   #140
Stonehorsw

Gen2 brake bias - oem

Calculation for Gen2 distribution with original pads based on public available data for brakes and pads
Attached Images

Tags
brake, discs, lines, pads, rotors