follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #15
mycrors7
Senior Member
 
mycrors7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: zd8 brz
Location: United States
Posts: 155
Thanks: 66
Thanked 171 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakuzure View Post
I put in an order for a '23 a week or so ago and their quoted timeframe was "3-5 months, but up to 12" which is pretty damn broad
consider that there are 2022 orders that are still not fulfilled and are arriving as late as early August

if you ordered now, expect it at the end of the year if production goes as planned. The reason they give a broad range is because they dont know if Subaru will run into production issues like many other manufacturers have recently
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #16
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,127
Thanks: 61,189
Thanked 106,250 Times in 45,829 Posts
Mentioned: 2458 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakuzure View Post
I put in an order for a '23 a week or so ago and their quoted timeframe was "3-5 months, but up to 12" which is pretty damn broad
This is the same time range you will get if you order pretty much any model of any make right now. If it isn't sitting on a lot already the 2 months to a year is pretty standard.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Location: St. Louis metro area
Posts: 183
Thanks: 120
Thanked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is the same time range you will get if you order pretty much any model of any make right now. If it isn't sitting on a lot already the 2 months to a year is pretty standard.
So very true. I wonder what the current environment does to the traditional approach to model year production dates.

With the backlog of MY22 models still undelivered, do they continue to build those out until all orders are fulfilled which blows their internally established cut over dates, or do they stick to the production dates and roll all the unfulfilled MY22 orders over to MY23?
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #18
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,127
Thanks: 61,189
Thanked 106,250 Times in 45,829 Posts
Mentioned: 2458 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
So very true. I wonder what the current environment does to the traditional approach to model year production dates.

With the backlog of MY22 models still undelivered, do they continue to build those out until all orders are fulfilled which blows their internally established cut over dates, or do they stick to the production dates and roll all the unfulfilled MY22 orders over to MY23?
They won't care about the "undelivered" vehicles and will just roll orders into the next model years.

The industry is a little different than others and sometimes can be hard to understand the way it works.

The Tier 1 suppliers (that send the final product directly to the OEMs) generally work on a three or four year contract system. The are contracted to make X amount of parts for each model year. This is actually why you usually see a refresh or other bigger changes after 3 or 4 years. This plan is set up as much as two years before production is scheduled.

If the OEM wants more parts within that contracted period they can up the order but it costs them a small fortune as the unit price was set for that original X number. If they cut back orders then normally they still pay for parts that they cancelled as again the price was set for X amount. This means under normal conditions they are going to stick as close to that X number as possible and neither make more nor less than plan.

The parts manufactures for automotive work almost exclusively on the Just In Time system. There are no big warehouses full of ready to go parts but instead they are all made and shipped to literally arrive at the plants "just in time". This system can work well for flexibility but also cause total chaos both at the same time depending on where the parts are in the pipeline when the order is increased or decreased.

Now... I said that under normal conditions the OEMs have to pay for cancelled parts whether they are used or not but there is one standard clause in the contracts that rarely comes into play. That clause is that the OEMs can cancel parts orders without penalty or payment in the event of an uncontrol able disaster or interruption. So if a vehicle just isn't selling they are going to pay for all the parts whether they stop making it or not (looking at you Aztec) but if there is some reason beyond their control they can reduce orders without cost. Of course this clause has come into effect many, many, many times over the last two years. Since they are not paying to not make cars they will adjust the numbers for each model year to meet what they can build not to what they have orders for or even what the original plan said they would build.

The thing that is apparently coming out of this current situation is that most of the car companies are looking at a customer preorder build system even when all this shit clears up so ordering a car and waiting months to get it is the likely wave of the future.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #19
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,610
Thanks: 531
Thanked 976 Times in 549 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ordered April 26th. Got a message from the dealer last week that it was expected in August, but still no VIN.

So I'm skeptical the car will be built, get on a ship, make it across the ocean, get the port installed short shifter, and make it to the middle of the country in two months.
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #20
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,127
Thanks: 61,189
Thanked 106,250 Times in 45,829 Posts
Mentioned: 2458 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Ordered April 26th. Got a message from the dealer last week that it was expected in August, but still no VIN.

So I'm skeptical the car will be built, get on a ship, make it across the ocean, get the port installed short shifter, and make it to the middle of the country in two months.
That does seem a bit optimistic.
Took Subaru a month to ship my wife's new car the 6 hour trip from Indiana to Ontario!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:10 PM   #21
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,610
Thanks: 531
Thanked 976 Times in 549 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That does seem a bit optimistic.
Took Subaru a month to ship my wife's new car the 6 hour trip from Indiana to Ontario!
I mean, I'd love for it to be true. But I just don't see it. Unless it's already headed for the ship in Japan and they just haven't relayed the VIN yet.

But that's OK with me. I've already ordered all my suspension stuff. So now just saving up for a partial PPF and ceramic coat and the tag/tax/title. Which I'll have at the end of the month with my bonus.
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #22
dawsonj87
Member
 
dawsonj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: 2023 GR86 Base MT
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 20
Thanks: 20
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Ordered April 26th. Got a message from the dealer last week that it was expected in August, but still no VIN.

So I'm skeptical the car will be built, get on a ship, make it across the ocean, get the port installed short shifter, and make it to the middle of the country in two months.
Ordered mine on the same day! Still have heard nothing from my dealership. I don't think they have any information either, unfortunately. Just reached back out to my dealer to inquire about more information. I'm surprised that I don't even have an ETA yet. I was originally told 3-4 months which I do not anticipate-- I'm thinking more like 6-8 months.
dawsonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #23
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,610
Thanks: 531
Thanked 976 Times in 549 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonj87 View Post
Ordered mine on the same day! Still have heard nothing from my dealership. I don't think they have any information either, unfortunately. Just reached back out to my dealer to inquire about more information. I'm surprised that I don't even have an ETA yet. I was originally told 3-4 months which I do not anticipate-- I'm thinking more like 6-8 months.
Yeah, I'm not sure if that's some dealers are/aren't getting info. Some are too lazy to relay it. No idea.

When I went in, I thought the same thing. They are going to give me an Oct/Nov Delivery date. Which I still wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, so you can imagine my surprise when they gave me the August/Sept timeline.

The fiance and I have been sharing a car for the last year and a half (since we both work from home), so the wait isn't a big deal. Although she has a third interview coming today with a big company based here in OKC, which if she gets it, means she will be back in an office full-time.

Which will leave me without a car during the day until the BRZ gets here. The only case in which it would be a big deal is a pet emergency.
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:58 PM   #24
WRBRZk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Drives: potential 2023 BRZ
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 26
Thanks: 8
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just a little update. I have now receieved my VIN for my 2023 order. Still same estimated time period. Hopefully another 6-8 weeks!
WRBRZk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRBRZk For This Useful Post:
H380 (06-23-2022), Tcoat (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #25
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,610
Thanks: 531
Thanked 976 Times in 549 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBRZk View Post
Just a little update. I have now receieved my VIN for my 2023 order. Still same estimated time period. Hopefully another 6-8 weeks!
Nice! That means you should be able to download the MySubaru app, register and follow it's progress now, right?
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:10 PM   #26
WRBRZk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Drives: potential 2023 BRZ
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 26
Thanks: 8
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Nice! That means you should be able to download the MySubaru app, register and follow it's progress now, right?
Unfortunately not in Canada, it requires you to have proof of ownership to create an account which I obviously don't have yet. I'm pretty sure you can only track it on Subaru of America website unless I'm mistaken.
WRBRZk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRBRZk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #27
dawsonj87
Member
 
dawsonj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: 2023 GR86 Base MT
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 20
Thanks: 20
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if that's some dealers are/aren't getting info. Some are too lazy to relay it. No idea.

When I went in, I thought the same thing. They are going to give me an Oct/Nov Delivery date. Which I still wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, so you can imagine my surprise when they gave me the August/Sept timeline.

The fiance and I have been sharing a car for the last year and a half (since we both work from home), so the wait isn't a big deal. Although she has a third interview coming today with a big company based here in OKC, which if she gets it, means she will be back in an office full-time.

Which will leave me without a car during the day until the BRZ gets here. The only case in which it would be a big deal is a pet emergency.
Called my dealer yesterday after asking them to reach out to SoA. All I got was no VON or ETA yet, however it's confirmed that my car will be the second BRZ allocated to my dealer. Irks me because my order was their first... but I understand that production doesn't always work that way, especially in the manufacturing plant that I work at.

The wait continues. Hopefully not for too much longer!
dawsonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:17 PM   #28
bestsw20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: BRZ (ZD8)
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got the vin number too, I ordered it back on nov last year. I am from Ontario too
bestsw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I know we have all heard it before, but once more? BBDGriptonia BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 102 05-22-2015 06:30 PM
Anyone heard about this? Simplicity Southern California 8 02-26-2015 06:13 PM
Dealer allocation vs built-to-order? Rubadub AUSTRALIA 11 06-26-2012 05:27 PM
Estimated delivery based upon order date vs. order at dealership? bloomy116 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 3 04-06-2012 12:51 AM
Changing order, does it require a new order? xwd BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 11 03-21-2012 01:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.