follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #71
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is a little something that I ordered from Yospeed and just received today. I had been toying with the idea of going to carbon fibre, but, I just thought the metal would be much more robust. The empty spot where the seat heater switches are on the BRZ and GT86 and obviously absent on the FR-S has been somewhere it needed filling. I was also going to try and think of something creative, but, I just kept it clean and simple. Install was a piece of cake. Just peel the covering off of the double sided tape and put it in place. It was crazy fast sticking. Good thing it pretty much fits perfectly.
Attached Images

Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #72
Demandred7

Well, it has been quite a while since I have last posted in my thread and a lot of that was due to heading to Florida to take the Family to Disney World.

No, I didn't take the FR-S, I had the In-laws with me in addition to my 2 kids and my wife. 6 people simply just don't fit.

I really missed my car since the trip provided plenty of opportunities to exploit the FR-S' attributes especially through Virginia and the Carolinas, but, unfortunately, we had the van. Lots of space and good passing power, but, wallow in the corners - big time.

I was honestly expecting to see more FR-S around, but, I saw hardly any more than I do around the Kitchener-Waterloo area in the run of a week. In the entire trip down, in Kissimmee, and on the way back, I only saw two Whiteout (one on I-95 on May 5th and the other in Kissimmee (I think on the 9th at an outlet mall) and one Firestorm with a Five Axis rear spoiler on Poincianna Blvd (I can't remember the day). I guess we are still a rare breed.

Now comes the task of paying for the trip and subsequently resuming my build. Sorry I don't have much more to update, but right now, just looking forward to jumping back in the saddle of my car.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #73
Demandred7

Just did my cheapest mod to date. I plugged my sound tube using the Canadian Tire door and trim fastener mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ound+tube+plug

The engine sound is no longer in your face all of the time. It only cost $3 and the sound seems so much more natural and less harsh. I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #74
Demandred7

I am not crazy about the stripes on the side and it obviously has a body kit on it, but, for $1.37 at Walmart, I had to get it. I guess I will have to get a larger scale model to get a more accurate representation. Hot Wheels cars have been hit and miss for their accuracy.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-08-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #75
Demandred7

Decided to drop some coin on the GrimmSpeed Strut Tower Brace. I know, I know, why didn't you the get wrinkle red colour for a Firestorm FR-S? Well, I liked the understated stock-like look of the black. Also, pardon the lack of quality to the pics (combination of dirty cell phone lens, my trying to lean into some sort of yoga pose to take the pics in my garage, and not very good lighting).

Definitely a well engineered piece and an immediately noticeable difference. The front end is substantially stiffer. I never realized how much flex was going on prior to the install. Throw the car into a corner and it is even more noticeable. Loving the way the car handles now. Much more solid.

From end-to-end the whole experience with GrimmSpeed was pleasurable. Just wishing now that I had gotten in on earlier group buys with them on both the master cylinder brace and hood struts (not to mention the oil filler cap). I guess I have Christmas and my next Birthday already planned out.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #76
Demandred7

Ok, so, this isn't a mod to my car, but, I tripped on this little baby on a trip to Vegas. Certainly a step up from Hotwheels and only cost $7. Bought one for my son too. Only the doors open (hood and trunk do not). It also can be pulled back and it has a spring motor to make it go.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #77
HotLeopardMama
Hello Kitty FRS ^_^

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
Ok, so, this isn't a mod to my car, but, I tripped on this little baby on a trip to Vegas. Certainly a step up from Hotwheels and only cost $7. Bought one for my son too. Only the doors open (hood and trunk do not). It also can be pulled back and it has a spring motor to make it go.
Where? I'm prolly head to LV this coming weekend!

2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout AT owner since June 2, 2012 - #2803
RS*R Sports-i Coilovers & LCAs|OEMaudio+ Reference|Milltek Exhaust|OZRacing FormulaHLT Wheels|Downforce CF Lip Kit|Beat-Sonic Fin & Roof Spoiler|Cusco Rear Subframe Brace
My Build Thread|Tuesday Night Irvine DJ Meet|@HotLeopardMama
HotLeopardMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #78
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLeopardMama View Post
Where? I'm prolly head to LV this coming weekend!
I found them at Wallgreens. There are a couple of them on the strip. There may be other places that carry them, it just happens to be where I found them.
HotLeopardMama (11-14-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #79
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I prefer non colored engine parts too unless they are factory paint matched even then black is always good in engine bay. good job.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #80
Demandred7

It has been a while since my last post. I had meant to keep a more consistent journal, but, sometimes life intervenes. For the longest time, I have been only using VSC Sport mode to catch any of my mistakes, but, I have graduated to the dark side and now turn off the nannies every time I drive. With enough seat time as my daily driver, I find that I am better able to modulate the rotation of the back end than the computer. I am finding that the balance of the car is so good that I am easily able to control a drift and it seems so much more natural than the stability control stepping in and trying to maintain a straight line.

With the exceptionally frigid and snowy winter that we have had has made it necessary and more appropriate to keep the nannies off. Unfortunately, with this, I have zero desire to go out to the garage to install my latest car part that I bought at Christmas - a GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace. The frigid temperatures have left garage almost as cold as outside (minus the wind). I am still looking forward to the install, but as I mentioned, sometimes life intervenes and now nearly three months have passed. Hopefully with the warming temperatures, I'll get my butt back in the game and continue the mods as well as report out on the improvement that it will hopefully make.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #81
Demandred7

Finally got around to installing my GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace. I can hardly believe I bought this thing about 4 months ago. I know, I know, what kind of petrol head waits 4 months to install a car part. Well, the first thing is that the weather has been mostly garbage and I just couldn't get the get up and go to start installing car parts in miserable weather. Yes, I know I have a garage, but, there is very little room at the nose and/or side of my car to allow space for tools and such. Secondly, the days that were good weather, I have been busy (not to mention putting in 53-60 hour work weeks).

Anyhow, it is finally done. I downloaded the .pdf file and watched the YouTube video a few times and had at it.

When the video says it is a lot easier to install if you take off your driver's side triangulation bar, they aren't kidding. Of course I had the added challenge of having also already installed the GrimmSpeed Strut Tower Brace (I didn't want to remove it because it was perfectly torqued (and it also rests on top of the triangulation bar)), so, obviously I like to challenge myself - either that, or I must be masochistic. It is further complicated by the fact that the video and the instructions don't really tell you that the automatic is a lot harder to install on than the manual. There are more brackets in use and holes already used. The fuel lines bracket is also not captured in the video (albeit is talked about), but, essentially, one has to remove the bracket and place over top of the bracket and then install the bolt - it does not work between the bracket and the strut tower. There is also another wire harness that the automatic has that is also clipped right where the brace needs to go. I eventually realized that if I take off the one bracket that holds the wire harness in one spot and unclip a clip in another spot, the job then gets a little easier. In the end this wire harness is still clipped in the one spot, but, I had to completely leave off one of the brackets and rest the wire harness on top of the Master Cylinder Brace. It doesn't appear to move and the wire harness has a ribbed plastic sheath over top of it.

About 30-40 mins later for a job that should have taken 10, I was able to go out for a spin. The brake pedal feel is noticeably firmer (even under light braking, but, especially under harder braking). I am definitely pleased with the product (although instructions for the automatic would have helped considerably) and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

I bought the brace off FT-86 SpeedFactory when they had a sale on, otherwise, I would have bought directly from GrimmSpeed themselves since they are a top notch company. The next GrimmSpeed product on the slate will be either the hydraulic hood struts or (depending on when it is released) the GrimmSpeed air intake that is currently under development.

Of course, there are so many wants when it comes to car parts and not all of them are particularly cheap, but, I am happy to plug away at the incremental pace that I have so far. And since I am not expecting any large sums of money to drop into my lap, tires/rims, exhaust, retrofit HID's, fog lights, etc. will have to wait. Until then......
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #82
Demandred7

Fogs!

Finally the front end of my car looks as it should have from the factory. Took my time (ok took a lot of extra time (pretty much double the estimated time to install)).

As I have mentioned in the past, I am by no means experienced at this sort of thing, but, I have been chomping at the bit to finally have fog lights installed. After some searching and talking with others about it, I finally bought them, but, not from Scion as I had always expected. The OEM ones are so flipping expensive ($597 dollars on the Scion.ca website (although they also have one that is around $700 (not sure what the difference is))). I actually ended up getting them from Diode Dynamics as a kit which includes the OEM bezels as well as glass lenses and all the necessary wires and hardware to make it happen. And the best part at a 1/4 of the price.

The biggest struggle was with getting the bolts that hold the rubber shroud to the bumper. They were rusted in place and even with some WD40, they were tough to remove. Although, I did notice that on the passenger side bolt, it was already buggered before I ever got to it. Not too sure how that would have happened, but, it wasn't me. Other than that, just had to follow the YouTube instructions and it came together. Zip tied the harness and wires to my liking and presto. I now have fogs and am so happy to have a more JDM look.

Not too sure what the next mod will be, but, it may have to wait for a little while since my wife and I decided to finally replace our/my mattress that has finally outlasted its useful life. For the kind of money it cost, I could have bought a Phantom Electric supercharger. So, other than one group buy that I have been keeping an eye on, I will have to starve the mod bug for a while.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #83
Demandred7

So, after some discussions with a fellow member and friend @mountainside, finally pulled the trigger on some Weathertech digital fit floor liners to properly protect the footwell area. I had some birthday money that I suppose could have gone to other mods, but, I really felt that the OEM all weather mats did not do a satisfactory job during the last 2 winters. I had to scrub the living crap out of the carpet to get the salt residue off of the carpet. I am hoping that they are worth the money (because they were not cheap). Everyone says that they are the best and I guess I will find out this winter.
Here is before and after:
Attached Images

mountainside (09-27-2014)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #84
Demandred7

Well, I thought it would never happen to me (I refuse to call it the curse), but, I had an accident. Spun and hit a guardrail. No other vehicles involved and paid for most of the repairs (front bumper has a crack and a chunk out of it that I won't be replacing). Had to replace the rear bumper and bend some the rear back in place. The good news was that the body shop didn't need to work the rear qtr panel and there doesn't seem to be anything mechanical or suspension related damaged. I need to get her buffed in several places due to the tow equipment scuffs, I have to troubleshoot why my fogs aren't working and I have to replace one of my exhaust tips.

I didn't know how much I would miss my car until I didn't have her for the better part of two weeks. Honestly, I was borderline depressed for the first week. Thankfully no one else was in the car with me and I wasn't hurt other than my ego (although if I hit my head, I don't remember it). At this point I'm working on getting my confidence back - the day I got her back, I left all of the nannies on. I don't think that will last, but, I'm working my way back - I'll maybe start with VSC Sport again and go from there. So happy to have her back.

Last edited by Demandred7; 02-19-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling