follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 62,969
Thanks: 55,868
Thanked 92,797 Times in 40,837 Posts
Mentioned: 2272 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Instead of OEM intake, you can install the TRD intake which is OEM as well. Installation of TRD intake could be easier (and cheaper) since we don't know how much of the sound generator was left in place.
Not sure how it would be "cheaper" really. TRD stuff costs. If they go with a stock intake they could pick one up from a wrecking yard and get the whole works or we can point them to the sound tube delete DIYs and they can just do that.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-22-2016), Lonewolf (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 26,754
Thanks: 23,390
Thanked 26,199 Times in 14,148 Posts
Mentioned: 626 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Points for picking an appropriate username
........like YOURS ........



humfrz - jest ah messen wich ya.....
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (11-23-2016), go_a_way1 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #17
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: North Indiana
Posts: 3,328
Thanks: 2,101
Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,319 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got a trd intake you could put on. Save you some money over dealer parts and still be "modded."
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 AM   #18
MechanicallyChallenged
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: Red 2014 FRS
Location: Utah
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Why would you ever buy any car throwing codes?

Life lesson.
Yeah lesson learned. At the time I test drove the car, the check engine light wasn't on. It was a couple days after that paperwork had already been processed to finance the car that it came on. Took it back to the same dealership and they pretty much just told me I was SOL but in a slightly nicer way.
Anyways guys. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
MechanicallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicallyChallenged For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #19
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore
 
go_a_way1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 9,826
Thanks: 14,918
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,796 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
........like YOURS ........



humfrz - jest ah messen wich ya.....
Hahahaha!! That backfired on me real quick
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GiantTurtle View Post
This thread got de-railed quick now it's just about Penis guitars
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-23-2016), Ultramaroon (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,757
Thanks: 998
Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,888 Posts
Mentioned: 546 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged View Post
Hey guys, first post, so here goes.
To make a long story short, got my car first FRS from a dealership recently. It had an aftermarket intake that made my check engine light on.
Took it to get diagnosed and they said both banks are running rich and it is throwing off the mass air flow sensor.
I have pictures of the intake that i'll try to post as soon as I can. It also has an electric fan in the intake piping if that means anything.
My poor googling skills made me come across this forums and something called unichip. Just wondering if using something like that will allow me to use the aftermarket intake without having to go back to stock.
Sorry about the long first post. Thanks guys.



Hmmm it sound like its got the electric supercharger ?


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719


so it might already be "tuned"
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #21
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep
 
Luftwaffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 604
Thanks: 281
Thanked 454 Times in 236 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged View Post
It also has an electric fan in the intake piping if that means anything..
Uh... wat. Like a shitty eBay electric supercharger? How did that pass inspection at a dealer? Get rid of that shit right meow.
__________________
SBD400X Turbocharged 2016 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
JoeC (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #22
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 62,969
Thanks: 55,868
Thanked 92,797 Times in 40,837 Posts
Mentioned: 2272 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hmmm it sound like its got the electric supercharger ?


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719


so it might already be "tuned"
Or one of these dumb ass things!








15HP for $75. This is how the car should have come from the factory!


3inch Universal Supercharger Magic Electric Fan Cold Air Intake Kit
Feature:
  • Works on any engines.
  • Adds more power on top of all existing modification.
  • It provides and increase of 1PSI to your intake.
  • Up to 15 more horsepower guaranteed.
  • Develop 5% HP gain througout the RPM range.
  • Safety draws over 833 watts from the battery wen activated at full-throttle.
  • All accessories are include
  • No instructions include
Packing Size:
  • Length:18cm
  • Width:16cm
  • Height:25cm
Packing Include:
  • 1×air filter.
  • 1× electric fan.
  • Exactly shown please look at the pictures blow.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #23
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep
 
Luftwaffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 604
Thanks: 281
Thanked 454 Times in 236 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or one of these dumb ass things!


This was the first thing that came to mind.

We need pictures.
__________________
SBD400X Turbocharged 2016 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!
 
MuseChaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: CNY
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 1,200
Thanked 1,685 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged View Post
.. At the time I test drove the car, the check engine light wasn't on. It was a couple days after that paperwork had already been processed to finance the car that it came on. Took it back to the same dealership and they pretty much just told me I was SOL but in a slightly nicer way...
I don't understand this. If you bought it from a licensed dealership (Toyota, Subaru, Uncle Bob's House of Ill Repute and Used Cars, whatever,...) that car usually comes with SOME form of protection for at least the first 30 days.. usually 60 or 90 for newer model years. If the problem surfaced truly in a matter of days, I would still be nice, but a little firmer with the dealership. If that doesn't work (and don't let it escalate into a shouting match or hurtful argument), contact your state's DMV and/or your county's district attorney and find out what the law is where you are. They may offer to help.

Swapping out an intake isn't a real expensive or difficult proposition. I'm surprised the dealership isn't more willing to help you out, unless there's more to the problem, they already know about it, and don't want it become obvious to you. Start making some calls.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
86Boyz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: on the highway to hell
Location: SoCal
Posts: 307
Thanks: 60
Thanked 177 Times in 98 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The irony of you two's avatars right now is astronomical!



I was thinking the exact same thing after looking at their avatars and reading their posts.
86Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #26
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: North Indiana
Posts: 3,328
Thanks: 2,101
Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,319 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I don't understand this. If you bought it from a licensed dealership (Toyota, Subaru, Uncle Bob's House of Ill Repute and Used Cars, whatever,...) that car usually comes with SOME form of protection for at least the first 30 days.. usually 60 or 90 for newer model years. If the problem surfaced truly in a matter of days, I would still be nice, but a little firmer with the dealership. If that doesn't work (and don't let it escalate into a shouting match or hurtful argument), contact your state's DMV and/or your county's district attorney and find out what the law is where you are. They may offer to help.

Swapping out an intake isn't a real expensive or difficult proposition. I'm surprised the dealership isn't more willing to help you out, unless there's more to the problem, they already know about it, and don't want it become obvious to you. Start making some calls.

Barry


Probably "used car, bought as is" but they should definitely cover the engine lights. If it was found to be caused by something they sold with the vehicle....it could get muddy but I'm sure there is recourse for the purchaser.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #27
KoolBRZ
Senior Member
 
KoolBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Location: Vancouver, WA.USA
Posts: 965
Thanks: 86
Thanked 449 Times in 277 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What kind of electric fan? Post pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged View Post
Hey guys, first post, so here goes.
To make a long story short, got my car first FRS from a dealership recently. It had an aftermarket intake that made my check engine light on.
Took it to get diagnosed and they said both banks are running rich and it is throwing off the mass air flow sensor.
I have pictures of the intake that i'll try to post as soon as I can. It also has an electric fan in the intake piping if that means anything.
My poor googling skills made me come across this forums and something called unichip. Just wondering if using something like that will allow me to use the aftermarket intake without having to go back to stock.
Sorry about the long first post. Thanks guys.
Post pics before going any further! If that is a Phantom Electric Supercharger, (electric fan) it is worth upwards of $1500 used. If not, you'll be better off with a stock intake and an after-market filter.
__________________
If I say yes, will that make you think I understand?
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #28
SlammedSilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 382
Thanks: 550
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged View Post
Thank for the quick response guys! You guys know of a good website to order OEM parts? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first real dive into getting to know all the ins and outs of my baby. And I'll definitely check out that OpenFlash Tablet. Thanks again!
Edit:
@Lonewolf I'm partly to blame for not bringing someone more mechanically inclined with me when I made the purchase. They diagnosed it for free but wanted 700$ out of me for the parts and labor to take care of that issue.
TOYOTAPARTSDEAL.COM that is the place to get all toyota oem stuffs
SlammedSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to buy factory intake or aftermarket Gvegaz Want-To-Buy Requests 2 09-30-2016 03:11 PM
Vortech with aftermarket intake? Sniper2606 Forced Induction 2 01-24-2014 03:17 AM
WTB aftermarket intake Vlady Want-To-Buy Requests 3 10-23-2013 06:30 PM
Aftermarket Intake Mani. usptwins Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 14 10-10-2012 04:57 AM
FR-S/BRZ aftermarket intake thread usptwins Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 09-03-2012 07:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.