follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #169
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
Ok,let me rephrase it in case it comes across as me saying "better" driver and replace it with "more attentive.

Furthermore,it IS popular opinion (so take that for what it's worth) that learning to drive MT makes for better drivers,just search ANY article on the subject.Admittedly,the empirical data isn't very clear as there are too many variables to determine which has better or worse accident rates.

Even with that,your responses tell me that you are going against the opinion that many people are putting in front of you.There's an overwhelming feeling of many drivers that they feel that they are better drivers when in a MT car,yet because of your personal opinion,you want to discount all of theirs.
"Feel they are" sums it up nicely.

Can it be more fun? Certainly. There is nothing quite like rowing through the gears.
Does it require more attention? Not once you get used to it. It just becomes second nature with no more thought then pulling a shifter into drive.

I will repeat. There are good and bad points to each but neither makes you a better or worse driver.
Bergen23 (09-05-2015), Dadhawk (09-05-2015), soulreapersteve (09-05-2015), strat61caster (09-05-2015), Ultramaroon (09-06-2015), why? (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #170
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
Ok,let me rephrase it in case it comes across as me saying "better" driver and replace it with "more attentive.

Furthermore,it IS popular opinion (so take that for what it's worth) that learning to drive MT makes for better drivers,just search ANY article on the subject.Admittedly,the empirical data isn't very clear as there are too many variables to determine which has better or worse accident rates.

Even with that,your responses tell me that you are going against the opinion that many people are putting in front of you.There's an overwhelming feeling of many drivers that they feel that they are better drivers when in a MT car,yet because of your personal opinion,you want to discount all of theirs.
Listen, I'm not upset. I like hearing what you have to say. I just don't agree with the idea that MT are "better" or make drivers "better" than AT. You don't even have anything to back that up, like you said.

I like to think that at the end of the day people have their own preferences and one is not better than the other. It's just a different driving experience.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk
jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycee842 For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (09-05-2015), why? (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #171
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
"Feel they are" sums it up nicely.

Can it be more fun? Certainly. There is nothing quite like rowing through the gears.
Does it require more attention? Not once you get used to it. It just becomes second nature with no more thought then pulling a shifter into drive.

I will repeat. There are good and bad points to each but neither makes you a better or worse driver.
Well said. Now, can we start off the weekend with a funny gif? Share one!

jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #172
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee842 View Post
Well said. Now, can we start off the weekend with a funny gif? Share one!

Sorry dude on phone so no gifs. Apple makes it just to hard to do to be fun.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #173
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Man, this thread is still alive haha

Automatic is great for vans and suvs
cvt's are great for gas mileage
paddle shifting is great for quick lap times.

But for overall best experience behind the wheel, manual will always be the best.
Can you prove that? Is there any data for "best experience"? Or is that simply a personal thing? The best driving experience I've ever had has been behind the wheel of 2.5 tonne trucks and up, doing donuts in an 11 tonne 6x6 truck on ice has to be up there as the most fun/awesome experience I've ever had while driving.

What's the difference between shifting a gear with paddles or the gear selector in M and and in a manual? A third pedal, that's it. The only disadvantage(maybe, what I'm about to say here makes it more of an advantage) that an auto has, is that in M mode, you can't over rev, or under rev the engine. Apart from that, I can use the paddle or the selector level to pick the gear I want, and it's the same experience as a manual tranny, minus the third pedal.

As I said before, the third pedal doesn't require extra concentration, unless you're brand new to driving. (as MR. @Tcoat has covered in great detail)

For what my car has become (a weekend car, that maybe gets 1000KM put on it in a month) I could have either transmission and be equally happy. But what gets on my nerves is when people come in here with an elitist attitude that it seems only a third pedal brings. I'm not calling you out on it, and you'd only have to read a page or two to see who I am referring to.

I could go way more in depth here, but that won't change a lot of people's attitude (not opinion, those are harder to change) about the AT in THIS car specifically. But yeah, it does make me chuckle to myself when I see people say "you're an idiot if you get this car with an AT", regardless of what the magazines, blogs or reviewers say they aren't the end user.

One last point, it's always the elitist third pedal bro dudes who come in with negative things to say and not be able to form an intelligent point/argument and that is really just the icing on the cake for someone like me, who owns an AT, but can drive a manual fairly well (not amazingly, but possibly a touch better than the average bear)
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-05-2015), soulreapersteve (09-05-2015), why? (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #174
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
One last point, it's always the elitist third pedal bro dudes who come in with negative things to say and not be able to form an intelligent point/argument
Dude, you're the one who brought d!ck length into the discussion.
joe strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joe strummer For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #175
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have been driving stick for 40 years and using an extra foot and hand does not increase squat. if using more limbs makes you feel superior that is dandy but I am afraid that is all in your head.
i'm going to disagree with ya here, Tcoat. it's not all in the head. when i'm eating, I smirk at other people I see eating only with a fork, or just one hand because I know they're missing out. They might be smiling and saying 'yummy!' and think their food is delicious, but they don't know what they don't know.

I always use TWO hands to eat, to enhance my eating experience. you CANNOT taste a good steak properly unless you have a fork in one hand, and a knife in the other. the moment you put your knife down after cutting off that medium-rare piece of filet mignon, you've lost half the enjoyment of eating. plus, making wild hand gestures with utensils is more effective when you're trying to talk with your mouth full. if you tap your feet on the floor while eating, the food tastes even better. try it. it's all part of the eating experience, man.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2015), soulreapersteve (09-05-2015), Tcoat (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #176
Missy
Blue Nose

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series
Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,017 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
cause it's the same username!
Oh....wait, I thought I already accepted it before.. maybe that's why? You deleted me then expected me to add you again, huh!? Pfft, let that be a lesson!
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:
KellieRahne (09-09-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #177
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The issue though that i find with Auto is lets take an example a R35 GTR.
Anybody can buy it and just floor the gas pedal and drive fast and act like they are race car drivers.

I find cars that are manual, you have the joy of actually trying to improve better shifting points, working for that power etc...

It's why i like the FRS/BRZ/86...you have to work the car to get that power out of that little engine unlike my previous bmw.

I actually bought my bmw in auto thinking it would be better cause of traffic etc...and i discovered that i didn't feel connected with the car at all. Sure, floor the gas pedal and the car goes...but there was no special feeling like i had at the time with my subaru which was manual. It just becomes like a normal car for me....i don't know....there is just something special about changing your own gears.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #178
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
I find cars that are manual, you have the joy of actually trying to improve better shifting points, working for that power etc...
that's precisely what I do with the paddle shifters. the novelty of stick shift wore off a long time ago after daily driving one for the past 30 years. I learned on a stick, drove a stick/RWD so that was 'normal' to me. it's just how gears were changed. now, I just do it with my fingers. I still listen to the engine and feel the torque curve/acceleration through my butt which tells me when to shift; not the tach.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (09-05-2015), Dadhawk (09-05-2015), Hoahao (09-10-2015), soulreapersteve (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #179
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Oh....wait, I thought I already accepted it before.. maybe that's why? You deleted me then expected me to add you again, huh!? Pfft, let that be a lesson!
no I didn't. I meant you didn't accept my party invite. you're already on my friends list lol
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #180
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The issue though that i find with Auto is lets take an example a R35 GTR.
Anybody can buy it and just floor the gas pedal and drive fast and act like they are race car drivers.

It's why i like the FRS/BRZ/86...you have to work the car to get that power out of that little engine unlike my previous bmw.

I actually bought my bmw in auto thinking it would be better cause of traffic etc...and i discovered that i didn't feel connected with the car at all. Sure, floor the gas pedal and the car goes...but there was no special feeling like i had at the time with my subaru which was manual. It just becomes like a normal car for me....i don't know....there is just something special about changing your own gears.
only if you leave it in auto mode though.....
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #181
Missy
Blue Nose

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series
Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,017 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
no I didn't. I meant you didn't accept my party invite. you're already on my friends list lol
Oooh, dude I probably didn't see it. I'm always on netflix and chill. Lol
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:
KellieRahne (09-09-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #182
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
i'm going to disagree with ya here, Tcoat. it's not all in the head. when i'm eating, I smirk at other people I see eating only with a fork, or just one hand because I know they're missing out. They might be smiling and saying 'yummy!' and think their food is delicious, but they don't know what they don't know.

I always use TWO hands to eat, to enhance my eating experience. you CANNOT taste a good steak properly unless you have a fork in one hand, and a knife in the other. the moment you put your knife down after cutting off that medium-rare piece of filet mignon, you've lost half the enjoyment of eating. plus, making wild hand gestures with utensils is more effective when you're trying to talk with your mouth full. if you tap your feet on the floor while eating, the food tastes even better. try it. it's all part of the eating experience, man.

Pffttt. If you don't eat with chopsticks or don't know how to use chopsticks, you don't deserve to eat at all. Especially when it comes to rice and noodles. If you use a fork, please do yourself a favor and stop enjoying the food that'll make you happy. Forks make it easier for the masses and it takes no training at all. Just scoop up the thing and put it in your mouth.

Chopsticks on the other hand, it takes finesse. It takes some training. It takes skill. Everytime I see someone using forks to eat noodles, I smirk and laugh and think, "man, this person is a mindless drone. They just want to eat the food, not enjoy it. Using chopsticks make food taste better."
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-05-2015), Ultramaroon (09-06-2015), why? (09-06-2015)