follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Jdmuscle

Drives: Supra, Viper, Z06, GT350 and GX460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Performance pack brakes

Gents.. I知 looking to get a base model BRZ or 86 in the near future and I知 wondering how involving of a swap is it to get the performance pack brakes to work on my future base model?

- I知 sure I壇 need new wheels to clear them.
- cost .. anyone know what those calipers cost?

Thank you much in advance for your feedback. I did do a search but I wasn稚 finding any particular info on what it値l cost and how involving a swap it is.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sourcing the parts directly from Subaru or Toyota I believe will cost almost as much as just upgrading your vehicle purchase to one that already has these components unless you’re getting a very good deal on a base model or Perf Package used. I’d rather just go and find a used PP car and save the hassle/time to install all the components but that’s just me.

These components can be found on this forum topic along with prices directly from Subaru and they are pretty expensive:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109786

It doesn’t seem TOO involving of a swap if everything is literally going to be a direct PP swap. Rotors, brake adapters, calipers, brake pads, removing dust cover, etc. I’m sure there’s DIY’s in this forum. Even FT86speedfavtory has a video on upgrading base model brakes to a Brembo BBK here:

I haven’t weighed the PP calipers myself, but I hear they’re pretty heavy for what they are. If you’re wanting a BBK to replace base model ones, there are cheaper and lighter options in AP Racing and Wilwood. Or if you want to go big time, just go 6 piston front and 4 piston rears with the other aftermarket Brembo GT kit.

The wheels to clear them are usually around +38-+45 offset depending on width but usually any wheel that clears STI’s will clear these. Even the stock PP wheels barely clear in the fronts... Any base model wheels I believe will not clear the Brembo’s, so yes aftermarket wheels will be needed.

Hope this helped! I bought my 17’ BRZ with PP new. Only thing I hate about this package is the amount of brake dust it generates, but just a part of living with a BBK. Next step for me would be to just make the jump to the 6/4 piston GT Brembo’s because I like stopping power. In conclusion, any 4 piston front, 2 piston rear setup is plenty for the twins.
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Getting MY2017 with PP is good deal and worth it. Not so with getting parts separately, which will run in very high cost, making it more worth to turn to aftermarket.
I guess, that if PP comes specced in car, there might be some "package deal", also you pay just difference of price/cost, deducting stock parts cost at their full price (not that low. Try buying from subaru or toyota new OE twin wheels. Damn expensive for cast wheels). Parting out from old used calipers/wheels will net you just small fraction of their cost new. IIRC full set of PP brakes alone with rotors, calipers and rest of hardware was about $2.5-3K, not counting new wheel set to clear new brakes. So unless there is any specific reason to getting exactly PP brakes (here in LV such reason might be PP brembos being only MOT-passable street legal BBK choice), better buy eg. Essex APR Sprint BBK kit. Imho will be cheaper and even more track-capable then PP brembos.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
also consider the Baer BBK-- after talking to a number of different people about it, a few picked them specifically because they have the same performance as wilwood's or brembo's but use commonly stocked pads in multiple variations at many auto parts stores instead of the more specialty pads that the oem pp or aftermarket options.

it's the method i'm going simply for the options.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmuscle View Post
Gents.. I知 looking to get a base model BRZ or 86 in the near future and I知 wondering how involving of a swap is it to get the performance pack brakes to work on my future base model?

- I知 sure I壇 need new wheels to clear them.
- cost .. anyone know what those calipers cost?

Thank you much in advance for your feedback. I did do a search but I wasn稚 finding any particular info on what it値l cost and how involving a swap it is.
What is the motivation for the brake system? What application will you be subjecting your driving to? What will the car be doing? What tire compound will you be using? Goals for the car and your driving?
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (03-09-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
Jdmuscle

Drives: Supra, Viper, Z06, GT350 and GX460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for your feedback.

My purpose for this is..

1) lots of back roads duty
2) looks .. hate those stock non PP units
3) match my other vehicles.. lame.. I know. Lol
4) some track duty
Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 AM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Hey, my only purpose is looks!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmuscle View Post
Thank you all for your feedback.

My purpose for this is..

1) lots of back roads duty
2) looks .. hate those stock non PP units
3) match my other vehicles.. lame.. I know. Lol
4) some track duty
1 & 4 - For strictly performance based, a change to a proper brake pad does wonders for "stopping power", fade resistance, pedal stiffness, and consistency. In many cases, a proper brake setup outperforms the stock BBK setups. Going to a stiffer caliper will always increase noise.

2 & 3 - You can always order a complete PP setup from Subaru (while we can order this easily, it's more of a support your local dealership or a shop that actually develops the BRZ/FR-S). Noise is present even on the stock pads in the PP. Still recommend a track pad for track application.

Either way, we can always facilitate the exact pad application and setup accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Hey, my only purpose is looks!
The PPs do look good. OEM is great for stockish tires and for spirited driving. It's still less than ideal for any reasonably paced track application.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-11-2019)