follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
If you have fog lights turn them off. I don't run mine in rural areas or I get flashed.

Unless mine are aimed for shit, my fog lights don't seem to do anything in fog for me. I never run mine as they are useless.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:56 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Do you use it often?
yes. every time i have more than one person in the car, or load up for a weekend away.

of course, my adjuster is a little more forgiving than everyone else's...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81277
Spuds (11-09-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 02:58 AM   #17
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Unless mine are aimed for shit, my fog lights don't seem to do anything in fog for me. I never run mine as they are useless.
I don't think it's your aim. White light only bounces back at you in the fog, and more so with a brighter white light. If you want them to help in fog, put yellow film over the lens or swap the bulb.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:21 AM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah, fog lights partially work with toned light color as certain light wavelengths reflect a bit less, but mostly what's work in fog lights against reflecting off small particles in the air is low placement of foglights and highly limited from above light beam.
Imho people that expect for foglights to be magical replacements for main lights are not too well informed of how foglights are designed to provide light that doesn't reflect much. It's their design bit that they don't illuminate far but have focused close and wide. In light fog one should drive with normal lights, and in very heavy fog or snow storm, when main far lights form "white wall" just ahead of car, they should reduce speed and drive with fog lights, that do the job enhancing illuminating road close by.
Fog lights are not supposed to illuminate road as well & as far as main lights. And if they do, with some chinese aftermarket wonder magic kit, that will compromise their functionality of providing specific focused light beam that doesn't reflect off particles. In countries, that not just regulate, but also check lightbeam of fog lights, it would be MOT fail.
Obviously, chinese aftermarket will make/provide/sell to one whatever one wishes. And if uninformed ones are ones that "vote with wallet" .. well, such life/rules of market. I'd just point, that "Unless mine are aimed for shit, my fog lights don't seem to do anything in fog for me. I never run mine as they are useless." is often due wrong expectations of how specific product is designed to actually work and how/when it should be used.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (11-20-2020), x808drifter (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Yeah, fog lights partially work with toned light color as certain light wavelengths reflect a bit less, but mostly what's work in fog lights against reflecting off small particles in the air is low placement of foglights and highly limited from above light beam.
Imho people that expect for foglights to be magical replacements for main lights are not too well informed of how foglights are designed to provide light that doesn't reflect much. It's their design bit that they don't illuminate far but have focused close and wide. In light fog one should drive with normal lights, and in very heavy fog or snow storm, when main far lights form "white wall" just ahead of car, they should reduce speed and drive with fog lights, that do the job enhancing illuminating road close by.
Fog lights are not supposed to illuminate road as well & as far as main lights. And if they do, with some chinese aftermarket wonder magic kit, that will compromise their functionality of providing specific focused light beam that doesn't reflect off particles. In countries, that not just regulate, but also check lightbeam of fog lights, it would be MOT fail.
Obviously, chinese aftermarket will make/provide/sell to one whatever one wishes. And if uninformed ones are ones that "vote with wallet" .. well, such life/rules of market. I'd just point, that "Unless mine are aimed for shit, my fog lights don't seem to do anything in fog for me. I never run mine as they are useless." is often due wrong expectations of how specific product is designed to actually work and how/when it should be used.
The BRZ fog lights are useless. Unlike what you said, I don't expect them to magically brighten everything above the main beams. The only thing they enhance in fog for me is about a foot on either side of the car and that is it. They add no illumination to the front of the car whatsoever. Its nice to see that you have done my thinking for me though.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's interesting. The fogs on my 86 are quite good, I think.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote