follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My TOB is going, started making noise last winter. Been quite for a while, got loud today. Unfortunately, I can't DIY this time. What's the cost at dealer to replace clutch/TOB? Should I consider a local shop?

Thanks.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
My TOB is going, started making noise last winter. Been quite for a while, got loud today. Unfortunately, I can't DIY this time. What's the cost at dealer to replace clutch/TOB? Should I consider a local shop?

Thanks.
Did you replace the TOB once?

I suggest you call your local dealer and a couple of auto shops for an estimate.

Either way, make sure they use the new and improved TOB.

I wouldn't wait too long -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #17
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post

Thanks.
I had my TOB replaced a few weeks ago at the dealer for $820. I opted to leave the clutch, pp, and flywheel alone because I want to install a lightweight flywheel (diy) sooner rather than later

Weird thing is, a few weeks before that I went to the same dealer service department just to get an estimate and was told $1600. Not sure why such a huge discrepancy...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #18
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
My car is at the dealer now, TOB, clutch disc and PP being replaced with new. Pricing similar to what's been quoted above. Thanks.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #19
FRSFather

Drives: Silver 10 series
Well my daughter called me tonight saying her car started smoking and she smelled a burning smell coming through the ac and said the clutch was acting weird ��*♂️. I went to her work and thought maybe the line was leaking clutch fluid or something because she said the reservoir was a little low, but not below the min line. So I started the car and it sounded fine, until I pushed in that clutch pedal. Squealing and sounded like metal on metal grinding, not good. I was able to get it home. I guess that means a TOB and new clutch for me too. 2013 FR-S 50k miles. So I should expect around 1500?
FRSFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:21 AM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSFather View Post
Well my daughter called me tonight saying her car started smoking and she smelled a burning smell coming through the ac and said the clutch was acting weird ��*♂️. I went to her work and thought maybe the line was leaking clutch fluid or something because she said the reservoir was a little low, but not below the min line. So I started the car and it sounded fine, until I pushed in that clutch pedal. Squealing and sounded like metal on metal grinding, not good. I was able to get it home. I guess that means a TOB and new clutch for me too. 2013 FR-S 50k miles. So I should expect around 1500?
Well, at least your daughter made it to work and didn't break down on the side of the road -

It does seem that about 50,000 miles on a 2013 FR-S, is about when the TOB can start acting up -

Just make sure they replace the toasted TOB with the new and improved one.

humfrz
Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #21
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
2013 FR-S 50k miles. So I should expect around 1500?
I got just over 100k out of mine but I was stubborn and put it off until it wasn't possible to go any longer. I paid $1200 at Aamco and it seems to be working reasonably well but needs to be bled again.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
FRSFather

Drives: Silver 10 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, at least your daughter made it to work and didn't break down on the side of the road -

It does seem that about 50,000 miles on a 2013 FR-S, is about when the TOB can start acting up -

Just make sure they replace the toasted TOB with the new and improved one.

humfrz

I’ve seen that the old part is faulty and there is a new one like you’re talking about, but will shops know what I’m talking about? How will I know if it’s the new part or not? I wonder if I shouldn’t just take it to a suburu dealer to get it fixed?
FRSFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
humfrz

Quote:
I’ve seen that the old part is faulty and there is a new one like you’re talking about, but will shops know what I’m talking about? How will I know if it’s the new part or not? I wonder if I shouldn’t just take it to a suburu dealer to get it fixed?
Well, when and if the TOB in my FR-S goes out, my plan is to search this forum and get the part number for the new, improved TOB and purchase it from the dealership. Then check it (to see if it has a white dot).

Then ask an automotive shop, or the dealership to replace the TOB with the one I give them.

humfrz