follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion FRS aftermarket upgrade opinions!

Hey you guys. I have a black 2013 scion FR-S. It is stock except for the radio and I have painted the brakes red. We were planning on trading it in after the lease was up but have decided to keep it, and that means upgrading it. I have come up with a list of stuff I want done to in in the coming year and would like opinions, suggestions and any advice from you guys! Thanks!

• Full exhaust- Magnaflow Cat Back
• Turbo- Not sure (suggestions?)
• Brake pads- Not sure
• Coil overs or lower the car- Not sure if I want coilovers or just a drop in the car
• Sound System- Not sure, probably only 1 speaker in the back because of space
• Window Tint-35%
• Tires- Not sure, want some high performance tires, 18" and wide.
• Wheels- Avant Garde M310
• Intake system- Perrin Cold Air Intake
• Widebody- Not sure about this what do you guys think? Pretty expensive
• Bodykit- ALso not sure, very pricey.
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Now go back through your list and say why you want each. Not "to get more HP" or "go faster" but think really, really deep as to exactly what is driving your decision for wanting it. There seem to be an awful lot of the "not sure" category on your list for somebody that wants to do so much.
You may just find that you don't actually want it as much as think you should do it because that is the in thing to do.
Chrisgalactic (10-01-2015), El Guapo (09-21-2015), funwheeldrive (09-21-2015), humfrz (09-20-2015), HunterGreene (09-21-2015), kch (09-20-2015), meWant (09-23-2015), RustySocket (09-21-2015), soulreapersteve (09-21-2015), strat61caster (09-21-2015), tslyw (09-21-2015), why? (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome. So what's the question again? You laid down a lot there and you can go a thousand different ways here depending on the time and money put in and also what you will use it for. I would visit each subforum in here and search a while and you will probably find exactly the answers that fit what you need specifically.
For instance my answers would be:
-Full exhaust, yes with header
-Turbo, nope, kills warranty and adds unreliability and wear on cars engine
-Brake pads, stock is fine unless you are racing
-lower car with TRD(factory warranty) springs
-soundsystem, just add amp and subwoofer, leave the rest
-window tint 5% rear, 15% front windows
-tires, michelin pilot super sports
-wheels, lightweight and black
-intake, add silicone inlet hose and change air filter to K&N
-no widebody
-No body kit

That only answers what I want and not what you want. Only you know that for sure.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-20-2015), MisterSheep (09-21-2015), soulreapersteve (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Welcome. So what's the question again? You laid down a lot there and you can go a thousand different ways here depending on the time and money put in and also what you will use it for. I would visit each subforum in here and search a while and you will probably find exactly the answers that fit what you need specifically.
For instance my answers would be:
-Full exhaust, yes with header
-Turbo, nope, kills warranty and adds unreliability and wear on cars engine
-Brake pads, stock is fine unless you are racing
-lower car with TRD(factory warranty) springs
-soundsystem, just add amp and subwoofer, leave the rest
-window tint 5% rear, 15% front windows
-tires, michelin pilot super sports
-wheels, lightweight and black
-intake, add silicone inlet hose and change air filter to K&N
-no widebody
-No body kit

That only answers what I want and not what you want. Only you know that for sure.
Dude! Other than the tint (I went 30% all round) you just described my car when I am finished!
Impureclient (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can easily blow 10K in trying to upgrade your car. Going turbo alone is going to run between $4500~$7k.

Personally,unless you are going to be taking your car to the track,most of the mods just aren't worth it to me,but hey,it's your money and your car to do what you like with it.

I guess you have to ask yourself what you want out of your car.Do you want to take it to the track? Do you want a show car? Are you just trying to look like a big shot? What every you do,just do your research and commit to what suits you and your lifestyle best.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-20-2015), why? (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Scion FRS aftermarket upgrade opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
Hey you guys. I have a black 2013 scion FR-S. It is stock except for the radio and I have painted the brakes red. We were planning on trading it in after the lease was up but have decided to keep it, and that means upgrading it. I have come up with a list of stuff I want done to in in the coming year and would like opinions, suggestions and any advice from you guys! Thanks!

Everything you've listed is all up to you and your budget.
This is currently my daily and under factory warranty so it'll be how it sits for a while but future ideas for it on my side are as follows.

•Full exhaust yes but unsure which I'll end up with had 3 different setups this far.

•Turbo- SPD

•Brake pads- im actually probably going to do a BBK due to extra power from turbo

•Coil overs - tein flex z

•Sound System- oem audio +

•Window Tint-done at when purchased 5% rear 15% front

•Tires- will change season to season .

•Wheels- not sure can't make up my mind

•Intake system- none will be needed because of the turbo, but right now I have k&n drop in and silicone intake hose

•Widebody/body kit: put them in the same category. I want seido works front fenders already have cs style front lip sides and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
HELLO, Chase1996 and WELCOME to posting to ...... The Forum .......

Lots of sage advice in the previous posts ...... I have little to add.

Just enjoy your car ...... if you want to change something, I suggest you make the change for YOU and not because of someone else .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NOS
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
FERATU
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Abraxus (09-23-2015), funwheeldrive (09-21-2015), LucidMomentum (09-21-2015), meWant (09-23-2015), Reign (09-22-2015), Tye300 (09-21-2015), why? (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 AM   #10
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
You can easily blow 10K in trying to upgrade your car. Going turbo alone is going to run between $4500~$7k.

Personally,unless you are going to be taking your car to the track,most of the mods just aren't worth it to me,but hey,it's your money and your car to do what you like with it.

I guess you have to ask yourself what you want out of your car.Do you want to take it to the track? Do you want a show car? Are you just trying to look like a big shot? What every you do,just do your research and commit to what suits you and your lifestyle best.
That's completely false. I installed the SBD kit and the total cost (including the ECU turbo flash) was around $3700. Its been very good. Totally changes the nature of the car for the better. Car is kind of a beast now. Installed it about 7000 miles ago, still works great. Easy to maintain if you install the kit yourself and know what each of the turbo components does.

The SBD turbo kit is pretty good. Just make sure you wrap the downpipe in heat wrap and put heat insulation on the wires and rubber hosing.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 AM   #11
Jake360

Drives: 2013 10-Series FRS, 1993 Yota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i look at that list and just think you put zero effort into it. it kinda just says "i want things"

also, i hope you have a good job or rich parents. that's alot of money to drop in a years time
Jake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake360 For This Useful Post:
Cole (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
That's completely false. I installed the SBD kit and the total cost (including the ECU turbo flash) was around $3700. Its been very good. Totally changes the nature of the car for the better. Car is kind of a beast now. Installed it about 7000 miles ago, still works great. Easy to maintain if you install the kit yourself and know what each of the turbo components does.

The SBD turbo kit is pretty good. Just make sure you wrap the downpipe in heat wrap and put heat insulation on the wires and rubber hosing.
That is great for people like you who can install and tune it yourself, but the second you add labor in the price can easily double.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
• Full exhaust- Header is most gains.. Everything else is just noise.
• Turbo- This should be the last upgrade. Enjoy the car stock. Add power when needs be. when N/a power isn't enough then consider a FI kit. Have you considered any superchargers?
• Brake pads- Stock are fine. Racing brakes creates a lot of dust and will squeak. If you want to have racing brakes I would suggest and I have heard hawk have good pads. Stainless steel lines are also a good upgrade.
• Coil overs or lower the car- Easily able to spend lots of money here. Do you just want looks or functionality. I have lowering springs with camber bolts and it helps. But wont do the same as coils. Do some research if you want either drop or race. Check out tein's line of springs to coils. They have inexpensive options. Camber in the front reduces the factory understeer mid corner, adding throttle also fixes this.
• Sound System- New headunit. Stock sucks. Probably a sub and amp truely. You could try Oem Audio +. Also would fix the door rattles because when bass hits they will annoy the f*ck outa you.
• Window Tint-35%
• Tires- Michelin pilot super sports. Squared is better than staggered. I think anything over 9 inch wide is too much for this car (n/a of course, FI will prob need more meat.)
• Wheels-personal preferance.
• Intake system- Drop in. anything else doesnt give any gains
• Widebody- not needed
• Bodykit- Up to you.. lips/ addons are cheaper and everything is personal preferance.

Theres lots of information on this forum. Just look through every thread if you can. and really READ the contents.

Also. Just go out and drive the car stock and appreciate what it is and the intentions of the car from the factory.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post

• Full exhaust- Magnaflow Cat Back
• Turbo- Not sure (suggestions?)
• Brake pads- Not sure
• Coil overs or lower the car- Not sure if I want coilovers or just a drop in the car
• Sound System- Not sure, probably only 1 speaker in the back because of space
• Window Tint-35%
• Tires- Not sure, want some high performance tires, 18" and wide.
• Wheels- Avant Garde M310
• Intake system- Perrin Cold Air Intake
• Widebody- Not sure about this what do you guys think? Pretty expensive
• Bodykit- ALso not sure, very pricey.
Don't replace the header if you are going turbo because the turbo header replaces whatever header you already have installed (stock or aftermarket). You will just be throwing money away on an aftermarket header if you decide to install a turbo later.

If you install the turbo yourself, make sure you have a backup car and your own garage because it will take a few days or 1-2 weeks to install depending on how busy your schedule is. The car will be on jackstands almost the entire time. And take time to wrap the downpipe and headers in thermal wrap and wrap the rubber tubing and wires in thermal tape.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote