follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #43
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Increasing water mass/volume will increase capacity, but only means it will take even longer to shed. Even with a large volume of water, the cool and less-cool water will still mix, leading to intercooler efficiency loss, and heat exchanger loss. This is actually why unless you are only dealing with huge bursts of intermittent heat output (e.g. a drag car, or a drift car), water tanks/reservoirs are not used for air-water intercooling outside of a swirlpot for self-bleeding.

You can increase the surface area of the heat exchanger, but very quickly hit diminishing returns on depth, because the water's temperature delta to ambient is very small, unlike an air-air intercooler, or engine radiator. Using a very typical exxample, at 70mph, going from a 1" thick heat exchanger to a 3" thick heat exchanger will have.... zero increase in actual heat exchange from the water to the atmosphere, and given identical fin densities, actually hurt cooling, as now restriction has significantly increased.

I've done a looooooooooooooooooooot of water cooling for both vehicular and industrial applications.
I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing....I'm already was partly agreeing with you.

You're correct, the water will eventually mix, but intercooler and heat exchanger efficiency loss wouldn't be an issue. The volume of water is large and if you got a good heat exchanger with a decent water pump water temps will be fine.

Your 1" to 3" thick heat exchanger doesn't make sense since you want to increase surface area more than volume by increasing thickness.

I believe the OP is using his car as a street car for now. If its for the track, yea just switch to A2A if you want to really work to keep you
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #44
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
a 3" thick heat exchanger would have roughly 3x the surface area of a 1" thick heat exchanger.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, forced induction, help me, question, tips