follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTroy View Post
My high speed run was down a hill. I suspect the starvation happened at the bottom of the hill, but it seems weird.

Both cars are BRZs. Mine is a 2013, my friend's had a previously supercharged 2014 (we found this out after it failed).

Both of us use the OEM oil temp sensor read via OBDII. As far as I am aware, there isn't an OEM oil pressure sensor. I haven't invested in an aftermarket sensor yet.
My guess is that your oil starvation had nothing to do with the position of the car and more to do with the known excess silicon found in some of the 13 engines. Did you tear the engine down and check the oil passages?
NoHaveMSG (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #16
MassTroy
Subaru BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The OEM pressure sensor is next to the OEM temp sensor.
Do you know the OBDII PID for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My guess is that your oil starvation had nothing to do with the position of the car and more to do with the known excess silicon found in some of the 13 engines. Did you tear the engine down and check the oil passages?
Ahh, I know there are issues with the 2013-2014 engines, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was. I didn't tear it down, had it repaired under warranty
MassTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Do you know the OBDII PID for it?
No, I am running a gauge for it.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
MassTroy
Subaru BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So I guess I'm concluding that baffles and/or a dry sump are my only real options if I'm worried about it. And potentially an aftermarket oil pressure sensor and gauge so that I can know when I'm about to blow up
MassTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Garage
The oil level is above the lower pan, so baffles really don't do a whole lot.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #20
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
My guess is that your oil starvation had nothing to do with the position of the car and more to do with the known excess silicon found in some of the 13 engines.
Are you sure about this? Has there not been instances of this happening with later engines?
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I run the recommended 0w20...
There's your problem. Where did you see 0w20 recommended for track use?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Sniepster (02-08-2021)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Are you sure about this? Has there not been instances of this happening with later engines?
As sure as I can be without more info or tearing down the engine.
No. It was pretty much restricted to the early 13s. Someplace on here are a pile of pictures of the issue. There was a LOT of chunks of silicone sealant that blocked the channels. The cars with it didn't stand a chance and all that were affected have likely failed by now unless they were hardly driven or never pushed hard enough for the stuff to gather and block the channel.
There have been bearing failures on later engines but they are rare and none have been traced back to this issue.
Varelco (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #23
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
No. It was pretty much restricted to the early 13s. Someplace on here are a pile of pictures of the issue. There was a LOT of chunks of silicone sealant that blocked the channels. The cars with it didn't stand a chance and all that were affected have likely failed by now unless they were hardly driven or never pushed hard enough for the stuff to gather and block the channel.
There have been bearing failures on later engines but they are rare and none have been traced back to this issue.

So, I keep hearing about the silicone issue, and the longer I have my car (2013), the more worried I am that I'm sitting on a time bomb. Is there a range of production dates or serial numbers that were affected by this issue, or has that not been figured out? I've got ~48K miles, run 5W-30 with a Forester oil cooler, and change it at 5K miles. 2-3 track nights/year, and maybe a few autocrosses sprinkled in there. The rest of my driving is pretty sedate - commuting a few miles to work in traffic, running errands, etc. I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to drop the pan and see if there's any silicone worms gathered around the pickup screen..?
Takumi788 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #24
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Quote:
Reassuring, well for me anyway. Cheers Tcoat!
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
So, I keep hearing about the silicone issue, and the longer I have my car (2013), the more worried I am that I'm sitting on a time bomb. Is there a range of production dates or serial numbers that were affected by this issue, or has that not been figured out? I've got ~48K miles, run 5W-30 with a Forester oil cooler, and change it at 5K miles. 2-3 track nights/year, and maybe a few autocrosses sprinkled in there. The rest of my driving is pretty sedate - commuting a few miles to work in traffic, running errands, etc. I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to drop the pan and see if there's any silicone worms gathered around the pickup screen..?
First off I want to be clear that is only a thesis formed by a few of us and has never been confirmed or even acknowledged in any form by Subaru. Myself and others have followed the failures very closely over the years but we only have the limited data of this forum in which to form that thesis. That said, I am very comfortable in putting my thoughts out there.

Soooo... If I was in your shoes I would not be worried at all by this point in time.
Here is why:
1) The chunks that were found were exactly that, they were very large. They could block the pickup but the more common issue was they seemed to gather at the #4 bearing channel. Most of the failures involved that #4 bearing and since it is the last in line it is more than coincidence. A good and relatively simple check would be to pull the pan and check the pickup although you should be able to see pieces in an oil change if they are that bad.

From one thread:
Oil at pickup

Blocked channel

2) Most of these failures happened at under 50K miles. If you drive the car hard enough the stuff would travel through the system pretty quick and either block the channels or get caught up in the filter or intake. Any of these would reduce the overall oil pressure to a point that you may be alerted but the more likely result is sudden, catastrophic failure. By this point you should have changed to oil enough that unless it is stuck in a channel you would have removed all or most of the chunks.

3) Although I am convinced that this is the main failure mode there were certainly some others. The first tune had some VVT issues which could cause low oil pressure. This were corrected by an ECU update back in late 13. This was a known cause for a couple of failures but I would hope everybody has had the flash done by now since it usually threw CELs like mad. The other cause that was reported several times was low oil levels. Now of course the guys with that issue always swore that they checked it but I have some doubts as to how accurate those statements were. These guys usually came here looking for support for their court cases but never, ever came back to say how they made out. Unfortunately that info my be skewed since we only have one side of the story on each case.

This is my take on it based on the info available and I still maintain that if it is likely to happen it already would have. The reported cases have dropped off to almost nothing in the last year.
Clipdat (03-23-2018), NoHaveMSG (03-23-2018), Tristor (03-27-2018), Varelco (03-26-2018), venturaII (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Reassuring, well for me anyway. Cheers Tcoat!

Fun fact: for every post I have made on here I have probably read 200. Sort of sad and scary really.

My car is a very early 14 and as such was potently subject to some of the issues of the 13s so I had a vested interest in following this concern.
At 120,000 trouble free (other than my own negligence in replacing my TOB when it started yelling at me) miles I have pretty much dismissed this as a probable failure in my case.
Varelco (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #27
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Soooo... If I was in your shoes I would not be worried at all by this point in time.

Yeah, obviously the more time passes, the less likely it is that I could get caught by this. Still, there could be that one last piece that had been hanging on. Then again, an asteroid could hit me, too...
Tcoat (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
The other cause that was reported several times was low oil levels. Now of course the guys with that issue always swore that they checked it but I have some doubts as to how accurate those statements were. These guys usually came here looking for support for their court cases but never, ever came back to say how they made out. Unfortunately that info my be skewed since we only have one side of the story on each case.
I can confirm that even oil showing up on the low end of the dipstick will create erratic oil pressure and starvation. With as much oil as the car holds I didn't think it was a big deal but it caused erratic oil pressure above 6k rpm and drops in oil pressure under hard cornering.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-23-2018)

Tags
oil, oil change, oil pressure