follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2016, 02:30 AM   #1
Ryan_86

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS - Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought the car today! Quick questions

After months of waiting I finally got my FRS! 2016 Steel with 10,000 miles.

Car is more fun to drive than I could imagine!

Im new here and was wondering some first easy mods you veterans would recommend on this car??

It already has the Borla touring axle back exhaust which sounds fantastic! but you can never add enough to your car.

O also can you get a replacement owners manual if the previous owner lost it?

Thanks! ill post some pics
Attached Images

Ryan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan_86 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (04-27-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase and WELCOME to ....The Forum......

Mods? What do you want your car to do better .. ??

To answer that, I suggest you drive it for a while.

The manual is on line in this forum.

(I can't seem to locate it, but someone will be along shortly to show you where it is.)

Meanwhile, just put premium gas in it and follow the maintenance schedule.

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 04-25-2016 at 02:57 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-27-2016), p1l0t (04-27-2016), soulreapersteve (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
Ryan_86

Thanks! glad to have a huge forum like this with dedicated owners!, Your right, I have only had it for a day so I got time to see what mods would be cool to add

I was thinking getting a replacement manual at the dealer but they could charge a ton...
Old 04-25-2016, 03:14 AM   #4
Ryan_86

Do you think adding borla headers and mid pipes to finish the full exhaust system would be a good start for a small performance increase?

I am thinking more suspension and aero instead of pure power, and have a budget XD.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
Sosa
[||]--(86)--[||]

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S
Canadian manual:

http://m.scion.ca/scion/en/m/owners/manuals

Mods: listen to @humfrz and put some premium fuel in and get to know your new car! :-)
humfrz (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:18 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_86 View Post
Do you think adding borla headers and mid pipes to finish the full exhaust system would be a good start for a small performance increase?

I am thinking more suspension and aero instead of pure power, and have a budget XD.

Don't do borla headers, there build quality is still hit and miss for the money, get the gruppe s:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81839

Also you can't just swap on headers on this car, you'll get a check engine light P0420, that's why you'd need a tuning solution openflash is the most user friendly flash and go wise and if you plan to stay NA, also running the tune unlocks a lot of power from the header and the torque dip this car has completely disappears:

http://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/oft-frs-brz-gt86/

That's the best place to dump $1000 on this car from the start, for no more torque dip and noticeably better power and throttle response
Nothing else exhaust wise really nets more power, in fact they usually net more noise than power.

There is nothing necessary aero and suspension wise for the street and going that route will simply either rice the car out or make ruin it's daily drive-ability, you actually need to drive and beat the car to find out what it needs, I have yet to find the stock suspension setup for street use to have anything lacking, in fact maybe only these stock pads and brake fade a bit but that's about it. The biggest mod will be getting in the car and driving, and keep driving whether it be autox, hpde, track days and choosing mods according to what you've learned about the car.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 04-25-2016 at 05:08 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:38 AM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Seat time; autox, hpde, driving instruction.

If you slap the average guy on here into a supercar of choice, built GTR C7 La Ferrari 918, whatever, and a truly talented driver in a stock 86, odds are the guy in the stock 86 will walk all over you or me in the supercar on any course.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-27-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-25-2016), humfrz (04-25-2016), kch (04-25-2016), khantran04 (04-25-2016), soulreapersteve (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khantran04 View Post
Okay firstly I want to clarify. head and tun isn't consider small performance increase. it's best BANG FOR THE BUCK. for example intake,pully,tbs, exhaust syst will probably not get you the pwr gain header and tuning does. so for performance get that done first but this isn't legal since the only CARB LEGAL headers are the OEM.

and yes it is a great start for performance but not Borla as mentioned above.

HOWEVER!! If you do plan to turbo charge the legal way down the line. if save for the WORKS STG2 Turbocharger which is carb compliant and it using stock header to provide nearly 300hp on top of that you won't have an issue when time come to smog check in addition you won't have to wait that 30yr period until you no longer need smog check on the car.

I personally haven't change headers but went with intake and exhaust and the minor engine mod with suspension upgrades for handling and minor boost in performance because I'm waiting on the turbo to make sure I don't get that $1000+ fine than having a state ref inspect the car (they could fail you for just having none oem exhaust syst) for getting pulled over having illegal mess in the engine.

UP2YOU

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You need to read into posts better:

1) Stop using short words such as "pwr, pully syst" it takes two seconds to right the full word out, also ending with UP2YOU makes you lose a bit of credibility, also pulleys yield no gains it's mostly hogwash of performance numbers and unconfirmed dynos, maybe increases the free revving nature but not under load
2) CARB doesn't matter shit to him, he's based in texas and whats done for emissions and inspection is done by a county by county basis.
3)You "went with intake and exhaust and the minor engine mod" I can almost guarantee you any power you did make was a placebo effect if you don't have a tune
4) Headers are not an illegal "mess" as you described, with a tune in most other states than cali, it will pass in fact I've already seen people with catless uels pass inspection here in PA as a tune will disable any OBD-II codes that will arise related to the cat. Also visual check with most mom and pop garages or non toyota/subaru dealers will pass as long as the front pipe has a cat, most normal techs are still clueless as to how many cats this car has.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 04-25-2016 at 12:40 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (04-25-2016), Cole (04-25-2016), extrashaky (04-25-2016), MisterSheep (04-25-2016), mixtape (04-25-2016), soulreapersteve (04-25-2016), thecarfilmer (04-26-2016), weederr33 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #9
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't discount left of field mods. I'd view a final drive ratio and lighter drive shaft to be pretty up there, bang for your buck wise.

If you are more interested in staying NA and, what the most common mods yield on our platform, then this will be of some help http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493

As others have said. I'd start with seat time and get a better feel of where the car is at now and what you believe it needs to make you love it that little bit more.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think I'd start with a drop in air filter. K&N or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fridayfrs For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #11
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khantran04 View Post
Maybe you need to read a bit more careful and look where I am.

when I said intake exhaust etc I also include "minor" meaning very small..

I use short words because I don't want to type it all bc I trust the OP to understand or he can look it up its not hard. if you don't know these short words look it up or stop messing with the car.

headers are illegal and won't pass smog in if smog inspection is required, texas no smog good for them bc I've never state a certain area state or city but isn't true the only OEM headers will pass smog and I wasn't implying headers are a "mess" I'm implying the fines you could possibly get is a mess when they check your engine for some reason and find things that art originally suppose to be there. also I did say "header and tune" did I not?

no offense but stop trying to bag on what I say. just because some rule may or may not apply to you doesn't give you rights. if you have better knowledge let the OP know instead of trying to prove people wrong using harsh language.

we're a community trying to share info to our best knowledge. it's the best of mines, so I wouldn't try to send OP the wrong direction.

FYI: UP2YOU doesn't loose credibility. it just answers his general question what to do first. performance,looks,handling, etc.

please show some respect like I would you again I mean no offense

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
LOL right the fully word out

And he's tanking on you for using shorthand? Really
khantran04 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's like trying to read something written by an inmate in a mental hospital.
texas no smog good for them bc it puts teh lotion in teh basket an I've never state a certain area state or city to bury 2 neck an lik face only not cawt but monkey apple carburetor i come for you win i get out.
It's a fucking assault on the English language. I blame "smart" phones for turning an entire generation into morons.

Back on topic, OP, drive the car. It will tell you what you and it need. Most of my mods have been for comfort and convenience, like padded knee rests, center console arm rest, Emdom seat belt pads, phone mount, etc. That's because I would be driving along and think, "Man, I wish my phone was mounted up here next to the stereo where I could see it easier." I didn't install any performance mods because I drive long distances for work, and it hasn't been worth the money and the additional risk of mechanical failure that comes with pulling more power out of a motor.

You might have a different need. You might drive along and think, "Man, the torque dip really pisses me off. I have to do something about it." Or you might look at the car and think it would look better with a particular cosmetic mod. None of us can tell you what mods to spend your money on, because we're not you.

The danger in your question is that right now you're excited about the car, and you risk getting caught up in the hype over certain mods and deciding you want them even though they're not really right for you. People go mod crazy here sometimes and end up with a build they're never really satisfied with because they didn't listen to the car.

So don't mod the car just to mod the car. Mod the car because there's a specific result you want to achieve.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-27-2016), Abraxus (04-25-2016), BirdTRD (04-25-2016), brandonblt2 (04-26-2016), Cole (04-25-2016), El Guapo (04-25-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-25-2016), fumanchu1 (04-25-2016), humfrz (04-25-2016), Kimsey47 (04-25-2016), Lelantas (04-25-2016), mdm (04-25-2016), MisterSheep (04-25-2016), mixtape (04-25-2016), new2subaru (04-25-2016), Scenic Driver (04-25-2016), soulreapersteve (04-25-2016), strat61caster (04-25-2016), Tcoat (04-25-2016), wireman957 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #13
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
For Power;
K&N Drop in filter
Header of your choice (EL or UEL) catted or catless, good brands: Tomei, JDL, ACE, Gruppe-s, Openflash.
Open Flash Tablet

Suspension/handling;
Lighterweight wheels, enkei rpf1's in 17x9 seem to be really popular
Stickier tires
SPC camber bolt
alignment
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-27-2016), BirdTRD (04-25-2016), BRZHarley (04-26-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #14
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
It's like trying to read something written by an inmate in a mental hospital.
texas no smog good for them bc it puts teh lotion in teh basket an I've never state a certain area state or city to bury 2 neck an lik face only not cawt but monkey apple carburetor i come for you win i get out.
It's a fucking assault on the English language. I blame "smart" phones for turning an entire generation into morons.

Back on topic, OP, drive the car. It will tell you what you and it need. Most of my mods have been for comfort and convenience, like padded knee rests, center console arm rest, Emdom seat belt pads, phone mount, etc. That's because I would be driving along and think, "Man, I wish my phone was mounted up here next to the stereo where I could see it easier." I didn't install any performance mods because I drive long distances for work, and it hasn't been worth the money and the additional risk of mechanical failure that comes with pulling more power out of a motor.

You might have a different need. You might drive along and think, "Man, the torque dip really pisses me off. I have to do something about it." Or you might look at the car and think it would look better with a particular cosmetic mod. None of us can tell you what mods to spend your money on, because we're not you.

The danger in your question is that right now you're excited about the car, and you risk getting caught up in the hype over certain mods and deciding you want them even though they're not really right for you. People go mod crazy here sometimes and end up with a build they're never really satisfied with because they didn't listen to the car.

So don't mod the car just to mod the car. Mod the car because there's a specific result you want to achieve.
Seriously, I couldn't understand half of what the hell he was typing,
if Texas no smog good then no have do it better you?!?!?!?!?
texas no smog good for them bc I've never state a certain area state or city but isn't true the only OEM headers will pass smog and I wasn't implying headers are a "mess"... wtf did I just read
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (04-25-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-25-2016)

Tags
car, cats, frs, mods, scion, women