follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2022, 02:18 AM   #1
soilent

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone installed an amp in their '22 yet?

If so, where did you pass the power wire through the fire wall? Does the hole on the right side where sound tube used to be still exist? I would love to use that location for my future install. I need someone to confirm and unfortunately I don't have my car yet!
soilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i don't know specifics on this car, but in the past, across a number of other makes of cars, there's usually a main wiring harness on the drivers side that passes through the firewall with a grommet that's about 2-3x's the size of the wiring harness that goes through it.

i'll cut an 'x' in the side of that grommet- slightly smaller than the size of the wire that i'm passing through, so that it seals around the wire once i pass it through.

been a foolproof method.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:53 PM   #3
mini

Drives: 2022 Brz base manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've looked for this same thing. There is a grommet on the right hand side of the car that looks large enough to pass at least a 4awg through. Seems there are several other areas available.

My main question so far has been how to take out this head unit, and if there is any digital out for easy aftermarket amp access?
mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
soundman98

wait, does any car in the last 20 years have a digital-out for aftermarket gear?

i wasn't even aware it was ever a thing, especially on lower-tier vehicles like subaru or toyota. i know some mercedes and lexus had optical/digital going to their oem amps, but was under the impression that it was a proprietary protocol. never cared, as i'd never own either, so never gave it much thought besides that.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
I've looked for this same thing. There is a grommet on the right hand side of the car that looks large enough to pass at least a 4awg through. Seems there are several other areas available.

My main question so far has been how to take out this head unit, and if there is any digital out for easy aftermarket amp access?
You have to disassemble a good part of the dash to get the head unit out. It is also not a standard head unit. The screen is separate from everything with some telemetry stuff as part of the stack behind.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
You have to disassemble a good part of the dash to get the head unit out. It is also not a standard head unit. The screen is separate from everything with some telemetry stuff as part of the stack behind.
Correct,

The schematics would show that it plugs into the stack behind it. This would probably not have any sort of aftermarket specific outs. Would have to tap into the high levels.

To be fair - there aren't really *any* important features I've found in the head unit that are not available to be changed via the dash cluster, so It gives me hope that we might have easy aftermarket transitions. Looks like it could be standard Double Din / 1.5 Din size.

My previous car had only optical out but it was a Volvo.

If someone would like to take out their head unit for science...that would be cool. I am too clumsy and for sure will damage something in the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to mini For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 02:35 PM   #7
soundman98

interesting. didn't know volvo did optical as well. was it all standard toslink connectors?
Old 02-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
mini

sort of. Depends on the year. Mine for example used a codec that only a small number of devices could natively decode. I forget the standard it uses, but it may as well be useless for the average install as it is incredibly hard to do a factory integration in those cars. I never ended up doing it.

Sure glad I have this car now
Old 03-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
STLBRZ66

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Sapphire Blue
From diagrams I've seen and everything I've uncovered so far in my disassembly it is analog signal in copper wires. If it is of any use to anyone, I did find that the rear speakers receive a full spectrum signal. I played the three levels of test tones from Rockford Fosgate and got the three individual readings on my multimeter at the rear speaker connector. I can't say anything about the flatness of the signal but I didn't want to drag an O-scope home from work and play pink noise. I'm gonna hope it is a fairly unadultered signal. I plan to use this signal with a low pass for my door woofers. The plan is to fade the rear out to remove bass for podcasts or other spoken content.
STLBRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #10
Master Jedi

Drives: gr86
yeah I added one, its the same as the 1st gen, the wiring, the stock amp etc, now for the base 6 speaker system I don't have an answer.
Master Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote