follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Quite a lot of people have had the same experience. Do you also have trans/diff bushing / stiffer engine/trans mounts?

Current thinking is that the 2 shaft design was paired specifically with the potential NVH of 86 platform to remove vibrations and break potential resonance. Carbon fiber provided some dampening and people generally got better results compared to AL

It could be a self selection bias here where the only people that get one piece driveshafts are the ones that want stiffer response everywhere in the drivetrain by add stiffening, more NVH is added as input and the chassis + one piece driveshaft gives the resonant vibration transfer function. I also have a DSS aluminum without any bushing/mounts and its fine even to 105mph. Just a datapoint.

This is also assuming the tail bushing on your trans isn't wiped
Are you MT or AT?
Old 08-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #16
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
2015 FR-S MT
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Quite a lot of people have had the same experience. Do you also have trans/diff bushing / stiffer engine/trans mounts?

Current thinking is that the 2 shaft design was paired specifically with the potential NVH of 86 platform to remove vibrations and break potential resonance. Carbon fiber provided some dampening and people generally got better results compared to AL

It could be a self selection bias here where the only people that get one piece driveshafts are the ones that want stiffer response everywhere in the drivetrain by add stiffening, more NVH is added as input and the chassis + one piece driveshaft gives the resonant vibration transfer function. I also have a DSS aluminum without any bushing/mounts and its fine even to 105mph. Just a datapoint.

This is also assuming the tail bushing on your trans isn't wiped
Yes I have Perrin engine mounts and trans support and the Whiteline diff bushings and shifter insert. The fact that it appears at precisely the same speed every time (unless I'm driving uphill or downhill - then it's sooner) kinda makes me think it's got an inherent flaw. Then again the previous owner didn't say he had any NVH issues. I don't remember who he was now, would've been useful to ask him if he had any bushings. Perhaps we should create a poll

Last edited by StraightOuttaCanadaEh; 08-26-2021 at 06:30 PM.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #18
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I'd wait for Verus to come back to you before stressing too much.

Ok, story time! I bought a 2nd hand CF Driveshaft Shop one and had vibrations from the start. I ended up taking it to be balanced, which was difficult as here in Aus no one I spoke to had balanced a Cf driveshaft before. The first place just shimmed the unis which helped a little but I still had vibrations. The next place I found did a much better job but they weren't sure on how to attach the balance weights. They ended up just taping them on the shaft, leaving it to me to attach them permanently. I was ok with this as they didn't even charge me, in fact they nerded out quite a bit about the CF. I contacted Loctite about gluing steel to CF, bought the product, borrowed an applicator from work and here I am 3 years later with a light ass drive shaft that is as smooth as silk at any speed that I have been brave enough to drive at.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-27-2021), Thefalls (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I contacted Loctite about gluing steel to CF, bought the product, borrowed an applicator from work and here I am 3 years later with a light ass drive shaft that is as smooth as silk at any speed that I have been brave enough to drive at.
Is the driveshaft clearcoated in some way? Or is it bare CF? Did you sand/scuff the CF before gluing?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I'd wait for Verus to come back to you before stressing too much.

Ok, story time! I bought a 2nd hand CF Driveshaft Shop one and had vibrations from the start. I ended up taking it to be balanced, which was difficult as here in Aus no one I spoke to had balanced a Cf driveshaft before. The first place just shimmed the unis which helped a little but I still had vibrations. The next place I found did a much better job but they weren't sure on how to attach the balance weights. They ended up just taping them on the shaft, leaving it to me to attach them permanently. I was ok with this as they didn't even charge me, in fact they nerded out quite a bit about the CF. I contacted Loctite about gluing steel to CF, bought the product, borrowed an applicator from work and here I am 3 years later with a light ass drive shaft that is as smooth as silk at any speed that I have been brave enough to drive at.
What max speed?

I have one that may be a culprit of a harmonic vibration at around 130. Talked with Verus on it and with my gearing it was balanced at a speed of 165 mph. Have not worried about it, all the tracks I drive on 110 is about the max speed.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #21
billstock67

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billstock67 View Post
Not unexpected, Verus has requested that I rotate 90° and retest.

Will report back.

Rotated 90°, no apparent change.
Verus has shipped replacement.
billstock67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #22
orz

Drives: Halo
In the 2nd picture the flange looks bent right where you see that burnt blemish mark. I suspect that if the mating surface isn't flush then that would cause severe vibration issues.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
billstock67

Quote:
Originally Posted by orz View Post
In the 2nd picture the flange looks bent right where you see that burnt blemish mark. I suspect that if the mating surface isn't flush then that would cause severe vibration issues.

I believe that is an optical illusion, due to camera lens angle. The outside of the flange is scalloped, so anything other than 90° appears as less than flat.
Surface checked perfectly flat prior to install.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #24
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
You can try to back out your mounts/bushings and inserts to see if the vibrations shift or go away. I suspect that it will but could be PITA to do again. if it does alleviate the problem, have to decide which of the two things you want to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Yes I have Perrin engine mounts and trans support and the Whiteline diff bushings and shifter insert. The fact that it appears at precisely the same speed every time (unless I'm driving uphill or downhill - then it's sooner) kinda makes me think it's got an inherent flaw. Then again the previous owner didn't say he had any NVH issues. I don't remember who he was now, would've been useful to ask him if he had any bushings. Perhaps we should create a poll
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #25
billstock67

Quote:
Originally Posted by billstock67 View Post
Rotated 90°, no apparent change.
Verus has shipped replacement.

Installed replacement shaft, unfortunately same at 80mph + as first one, plus experienced an even greater amplitude vibration when slowing, in the 75-65 mph range.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #26
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Did you do the install or shop with experience did?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #27
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
You can try to back out your mounts/bushings and inserts to see if the vibrations shift or go away. I suspect that it will but could be PITA to do again. if it does alleviate the problem, have to decide which of the two things you want to keep
Problem is - which bushing/insert do I target. And yeah the diff bushings, I'm not sure what those do, but the trans insert, shifter bushing and engine mounts I like a lot.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #28
billstock67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
Did you do the install or shop with experience did?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I did.