follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
gconron_86

Drives: 2016 Raven Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lowering spring FAQ- stock FR-S

Hello all, as you probably realize I am new here. Before I get flamed for starting a new topic, I will say that I did use the search button and looked all over for this question but could not find it! If I am wrong and it does exist, well then my bad Anyway, I am interested in a set of Eibach sportline springs for my 2016 FR-S. I am concerned about the longevity of the rest of the suspension components upon doing this mod, mostly because my car has about 750 miles on it at the time of writing and I don't want to be replacing things out of pocket due to the springs causing wear on other components. So, if I were to do the sportlines, what type of performance increases/decreases would I experience? And what other parts would it put wear on/damage? Also, are there better springs out there that have about the same amount of drop (1.4" or so all around) but are better fit for the car for a decent price? I do know about the TRD springs, but I have heard they are just rebranded Eibachs and they only drop the car about 0.9". I plan on keeping the stock wheels on the car for a while with the exception of possibly running spacers with them to get a slightly cleaner look. Thanks to all who read this and want to help out a new 86 owner
gconron_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
-Review's for Sportlines:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15079
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14674

I would read this too:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9936

And there is a ton of good info here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45554

And here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

With as much drop as the sportlines provide, you will bring on some negative camber, which can be fixed if you don't want it with camber bolts (front) and lower control arms (rear). From what I understand, anything more than about 1" drop will effect the longevity of the strut but I do not know how much.

The general consensus seems to be that proper coilovers are the best bet for both longevity and performance, especially if you plan on tracking and/or doing a lot of spirited driving. With that being said, my car is still at stock height so I cannot speak from personal experience. I know that I am going to be purchasing the Tein Flex Z coilovers here pretty soon. They have gotten really good reviews and aren't too expensive.

IMO if you are looking to get more than 1" of drop, I would hold off until you can buy proper coilovers.

Hope this helps!

-J.B.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
definitely go with height adjustable coilovers if you want a 1.4" drop. however, even if you do get springs that drop close to 1.4", your shocks won't blow right away. you will just decrease their lifespan but how much exactly you decrease it by depends on the roads you drive. with springs that drop that low, you won't get full travel out of the shock and bottom it out more. our shocks in the rear already don't have much travel stock.

also don't forget to factor in a proper alignment after your drop. otherwise, your toe will chew up your tires bad.

Tags
eibach, fr-s, lowering springs, stock, trd