follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Primal Sabbath

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trouble Codes + possible knocking? Help

It's a 2013 FRS automatic stock.
Got it used with under 38k miles from some Chevy dealership. Out of state. (Just can't find these cars for sale in Louisiana it seems)... Anyway. It arrived to me in "limp mode" -- CEL + TC lights on. At the time I didn't know what it was. Dude from the dealership said it was throwing emissions codes. Which I thought no big deal. Worst case I'd replace gaskets if I had to. I pulled the codes myself using Torque Pro on my phone with the Bluetooth obd2 scanner and it threw me the following:

P0455 - current fault
P2096 - current fault
P0441 - historic fault

Also I did the uhh diagnostic thing? And these were red. Any one familiar enough with what exactly this means??

After enough googling and thread searching here before I signed up I was like okay. So gaskets, maf sensor, gas cap are all likely culprits. Took it to a mechanic that lives on my street (he's retired. Works on cars for extra cash from time to time). I told him it was probable exhaust leak to see if he can help me find it. I'm not super car smart. I know enough to get by and how to replace stuff... Anyway. He asks me to give it some gas and claims he hears a knocking noise coming from the engine. He said it was "deep" sounding - but it's too subjective of a term for me to say. Then he tells me he mostly only knows Fords/Chevys. Tells me if I get a foreign car it should be a Toyota. (I mean I guess he ignored the F'n Toyota logo on the engine above the Subaru logo. Whatever).
So I did some MORE digging on these forums. Saw where it could just be the vacuum pump; which was apparently a common problem with the 2013s...

Now. My question is; would the faulty vacuum pump also throw either the P2096 or P0455? Or contribute to the historic P0441??? I know limp mode supposedly makes the thing run like shit (honestly this is the only car I've ever owned with less than 90k miles or made after 2010) so it runs better than anything I've driven as-is. I was more or less just annoyed by no cruise control and weird 2nd gear downshifts coming to a stop.

I honestly don't have the ear for the knock he said he heard and tried comparing video I took of mine running after after switching to DI to others I've seen here or on YouTube it sounds somewhere in the middle of a "normal one" and one that had the vacuum pump issue.

Alternatively if the vacuum pump isn't contributing to what's throwing those codes is there something else, or do I just need to look for a Toyota guy in a sea of a bunch of damn chevy/ford guys? Lol

More or less I wanna fix whatever is throwing the codes. I have probably read 200 times these are supposed to sound like tractors. I just know when I did the battery-disconnect reset I got to use cruise control and down-shifting into 2nd was smooth as glass. And that's all I'm aiming for. Got a feeling the dealership i bought from will be little to no help (I don't think Oklahoma lemon laws will help me here since the vehicle is 7 years old) and I've got a car note to show for it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Primal Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Primal Sabbath For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Primal Sabbath

Bump for help?
Old 09-01-2020, 01:54 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Sabbath View Post
It's a 2013 FRS automatic stock.
Got it used with under 38k miles from some Chevy dealership. Out of state. (Just can't find these cars for sale in Louisiana it seems)... Anyway. It arrived to me in "limp mode" -- CEL + TC lights on.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Well, Primal Sabbath, welcome to our forum -

Looks like you have a few messes on your hand. Since you have limited experience with these engines, I suggest you take it to a dealer or a shop with experience with this platform and ask then to "fix it".

Meanwhile, maybe someone will come along that can lead you through the fixes.

Good luck.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Primal Sabbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, Primal Sabbath, welcome to our forum -

Looks like you have a few messes on your hand. Since you have limited experience with these engines, I suggest you take it to a dealer or a shop with experience with this platform and ask then to "fix it".

Meanwhile, maybe someone will come along that can lead you through the fixes.

Good luck.

Thanks! I wanted to avoid the Toyota dealer since I plunked down a lot to just get the damn thing and register it (Louisiana sucks! Lol) but I think I found a shop that's certified to look at and work on it. They have the necessary hardware to pinpoint the causes of the issues. So. Fingers crossed it's just an exhaust leak and a gas cap or something.
I'll report back whatever they find in the event someone in the future has this issue on a bone stock that they purchased.
Thanks!
humfrz (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
humfrz

Yes, let us know what was ailing your machine.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
Primal Sabbath

So! Update time.

Turned out an evap hose under/near the intake manifold was just unplugged. The shop owner said he just got in there and reconnected it with needle nose pliers; it was a tight fit and he doesn't seem to think it could have come out on its own.
Probably put 60 miles on it since then. No more CEL or limp mode (so far).
Also no more "knock/rattle" sounds coming from the passenger side engine bay (which I thought was vacuum pump). That said; it wasn't consistent to begin with.
Anyway. Back to the evap hose... He seems to think someone tampered with it. My guess is whoever the previous owner was had some aftermarket performance stuff on the car and just swapped it all back to factory when they sold it, and forgot to reconnect the hose, I'm guessing.
Just to make sure; I put my whole ass on the gas pedal on the way home yesterday and to work this morning just to kind of "make sure."

Anyway. This is a fun car as it is stock (I'm well beyond my "gotta go faster than fast" phase). I can't wait to do some aesthetic mods to it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Primal Sabbath For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-10-2020), humfrz (09-10-2020), JesseG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
So! Update time.

Turned out an evap hose under/near the intake manifold was just unplugged. I can't wait to do some aesthetic mods to it!
Thanks for the update.

Here ya go fer a started aesthetic mod -
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
Primal Sabbath

Turns out I spoke too soon. Coming home from work. Cruise control since it's at least 20min on interstate (and I literally JUST got cruise control aaaaaand check engine light
P2096 (post catalyst fuel trim lean) returned as current fault with P013F (O2 sensor delayed response) as a pending fault. Checked the diagnostic thing while it was running on Torque. Downstream O2 sensor was reading something like 65k (whatever that means) and max is (I guess) supposed to be somewhere in the 35k range. So. My guess is either an exhaust leak, or the downstream O2 sensor is gone; but back to the shop on Monday. What a drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks for the update.

Here ya go fer a started aesthetic mod -
Haha fuzzy dice are definitely still on the table.
humfrz (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
humfrz

Quote:
Turns out I spoke too soon.
Well, poooooo -
Old 09-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Primal Sabbath

Update time, thanks for hanging in there with me, @humfrz lol

Shop told me it's a bad downstream O2 sensor. Which explains the P013F that was thrown the first time I pulled the codes after getting it back.
So. They also confirmed it is running rich and not lean (which the computer thinks it is lean, due to the malfunction). So beyond having to put an extra $5 in the tank this week isn't an awful inconvenience compared to if it was running actual lean I suppose lol
So. Repairs scheduled for Friday in the event they get the part in on Thursday as they suspect.
I'm just ready to have cruise control back
That said, in the meantime he said I can keep wiping the code until then so it doesn't keep down-shifting too hard going into 2nd from the nanny mode or whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Primal Sabbath For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-14-2020), JesseG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
humfrz

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like your car is on the road to recovery -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hope everything gets sorted out with this set of repairs! I agree, this sounds like a classic case of a modified car that was quickly returned to stock. And unfortunately some people aren’t that concerned about putting everything back together correctly.
Good news is you can get everything back in working order.
Yes they do sound like little tractors at lower rpm, slower speeds. My FR-S makes all sorts of noises. The up side to that is you are super connected to these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #13
Primal Sabbath

Heh! I hope so! I'm definitely ready to enjoy cruise control on a long term scale lol
I just wanna know what "normal" sounds and feels like for this car. Unfortunately my local dealership doesn't have any 86s or BRZs I could have test-driven to compare sounds/feels to... I'm living in Mustang/Camaro country lol!
Well. Hopefully the bookend update is coming this Friday.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Primal Sabbath

Wanted to wait a week to make sure it was all well; after the O2 sensor was replaced there have been no further issues! Super excited to have cruise control again!
bcj (09-27-2020)