follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2020, 11:54 PM   #15
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont agree with that one bit. Xxr's are perfect for 70% of the population.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
FinallyGot (02-20-2020), scotto79 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #16
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Broke ass college student? You should buy the most expensive rims you can find!
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
sugoi (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:09 AM   #17
FinallyGot

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Broke ass college student? You should buy the most expensive rims you can find!
LMAO and get them stolen in my campus parking lot
FinallyGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #18
FinallyGot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I don't understand people who say they want reps because they can't afford real wheels and at the same time get defensive about it thinking that people say reps are bad just because they're cheaper...
I got a whole life lesson haha. You got a point though. When i say broke college student i mean it as a joke lmao. But yeah Im going to opt for some flow formed wheels over cast forsure.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:15 AM   #19
FinallyGot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
I dont agree with that one bit. Xxr's are perfect for 70% of the population.
Yeah forsure. Not everyone tracks yfm. I know plenty of people who claim they track but never do lmao.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #20
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
LMAO and get them stolen in my campus parking lot
Where are you, San Jose State?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #21
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
I got a whole life lesson haha. You got a point though. When i say broke college student i mean it as a joke lmao. But yeah Im going to opt for some flow formed wheels over cast forsure.

I meant the lesson in earnest. I prioritized other things in my life over cars even though I have always been an enthusiast, and it set me up in the financial position to really get to enjoy this hobby. I've been able to watch Le Mans in person, dump a decently sized yearly budget into mods and project cars, and go from playing Forza and wishing to actually getting on track on a regular basis and it being something I can afford.

Cars are a very expensive hobby, but when you're young and in school is probably not the time to indulge in expensive hobbies. My good planning had me buy a house at 25 and now at 35 I can do more or less whatever I want. Sure, it's not as much fun at the time, but it can be a sort of fun to engross yourself in other interests or focus on aspects which don't have such a high cost (for instance learning the mechanical engineering behind racing and learning useful skills like fabrication/welding).

Don't make the mistake I've seen many of my fellow enthusiasts make and blow what little extra money you have on car modifications every time your account balance ticks up. That's a recipe for driving barely running shitboxes and still being relegated to hardparking at parking lot meets well into your 30s. People like to joke the only way to afford properly modifying cars is to be a drug dealer, but the real answer is to focus on your schooling and get a good professional job and be smart with your money and then you can budget your hobbies.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
FinallyGot (02-20-2020), soundman98 (02-20-2020), why? (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:33 AM   #22
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
yes i like reputable wheels
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:37 AM   #23
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I prefer round wheels
Old 02-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Secondly, generally speaking you get what you pay for in pretty much everything, and that's especially true in aftermarket car parts. Rep wheels are cheap for a reason.

I have worked as management in Tier One (OEM) automotive parts manufacturing for 30 years now and truly do not understand how people do not get this very basic concept.

Here are some FACTS on "rep" or unbranded parts be it rotors, wheels, wings or any other part:

1) Most rep companies do not make what they sell. They farm out the manufacturing to who ever will do it the cheapest at that point in time. Sticking with wheels it is very possible that you could order 4 and no two of them were made in the same place at the same time since they just stock pile them in a cheap warehouse someplace. The other way is they just have them made when you order them. Ever wonder why it can take so long to get those cheap wheels they said were "in stock"? The problem with made to order is that it can be rushed and since they are just making a few they will let defects pass that they would not in a larger run.

2) The specs (if they exist at all beyond make us a wheel this big) on any product are determined by the ordering company not the manufacturer. We can make you a rotor with a tolerance of 500 microns and gauge, inspect one in every 1,000, skip any rust resistant coating and throw it in a plastic bag for shipping for dirt cheap even in our more costly North American plants. Or we can give you a 5 micron tolerance, 100% gauges, zinc coated, individually packed in a cardboard box rotor but it will cost you three times as much. It all depends on what the customer wants. If any product is far cheaper than the rest you can be assured that the very minimum QA and manufacturing went into it.

3) The brand name companies may make parts in China, Mexico, India, etc but their employment, quality and overall standards are the same as in North America. These things are all tightly controlled so that no matter where the products are made you can expect them to be the same. These standards do not apply to many (all?) of the rep and knockoff "companies". Would you rather have a wheel/body kit/engine component made by a guy with 20 years experience, in a reasonably up to date facility or a 13 year old kid using 1950s tech in a shack someplace? This comparison is not some bleeding heart child labour concern but a simple fact of how some rep/knockoff products are made. It is why they can be so much cheaper.

4) This is a short one. Try to collect on a warranty claim for a manufacturing defect on a rep/knockoff. Go ahead I dare you. Those cheap wheels are not so cheap when you have to replace one or more due to a manufacturing issue. And before I get 100 "well I rand XXX with no problems". Well good for you. You got lucky.

So... Many people defend the rep/knockoff industry saying that the only reason that the brand names cost so much more is because they are indeed brand names. That is not the reality. They cost more because they are made better and that costs more!
churchx (02-20-2020), HaXx (02-20-2020), NoHaveMSG (02-20-2020), soundman98 (02-22-2020), Tristor (02-20-2020), why? (02-21-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tcout: in addition to last sentence i'd add also bit that rep companies don't have to recoup R&D costs unlike brand ones that do, not just because manufacturing & QA costs. Not always the case and not always R&D costs make up large enough share of retail price, but often that share that needs to be recouped might be high enough especially in cases of narrow-niche/small runs of products, as many of carmod parts often are.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2020), Tristor (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Tcout: in addition to last sentence i'd add also bit that rep companies don't have to recoup R&D costs unlike brand ones that do, not just because manufacturing & QA costs. Not always the case and not always R&D costs make up large enough share of retail price, but often that share that needs to be recouped might be high enough especially in cases of narrow-niche/small runs of products, as many of carmod parts often are.
Oh there are several factors I didn't go into or just sort of implied.
R&D engineering and testing
Overhead such as business licenses, taxes, permits, insurance
Warranty costs (warranty claims are not free to the company)
Proper waste disposal/environmental costs
Oh I could probably add 20 more lines but the message is clear

The sad part is that the companies selling those dirt cheap products are probably pulling in a much larger profit margin than the legit bigger company they are copying.
soundman98 (02-22-2020), Tristor (02-20-2020), why? (02-21-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
FinallyGot

Quote:
I meant the lesson in earnest. I prioritized other things in my life over cars even though I have always been an enthusiast, and it set me up in the financial position to really get to enjoy this hobby. I've been able to watch Le Mans in person, dump a decently sized yearly budget into mods and project cars, and go from playing Forza and wishing to actually getting on track on a regular basis and it being something I can afford.

Cars are a very expensive hobby, but when you're young and in school is probably not the time to indulge in expensive hobbies. My good planning had me buy a house at 25 and now at 35 I can do more or less whatever I want. Sure, it's not as much fun at the time, but it can be a sort of fun to engross yourself in other interests or focus on aspects which don't have such a high cost (for instance learning the mechanical engineering behind racing and learning useful skills like fabrication/welding).

Don't make the mistake I've seen many of my fellow enthusiasts make and blow what little extra money you have on car modifications every time your account balance ticks up. That's a recipe for driving barely running shitboxes and still being relegated to hardparking at parking lot meets well into your 30s. People like to joke the only way to afford properly modifying cars is to be a drug dealer, but the real answer is to focus on your schooling and get a good professional job and be smart with your money and then you can budget your hobbies.
Hell yeah, I feel you man. This would be my second mod aside from coils. I'll be done for a while until I graduate lmao.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #28
FinallyGot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh there are several factors I didn't go into or just sort of implied.
R&D engineering and testing
Overhead such as business licenses, taxes, permits, insurance
Warranty costs (warranty claims are not free to the company)
Proper waste disposal/environmental costs
Oh I could probably add 20 more lines but the message is clear

The sad part is that the companies selling those dirt cheap products are probably pulling in a much larger profit margin than the legit bigger company they are copying.
Thats facts. Thoughts on cosmis? I believe theyre a mix of flow formed and cast?