follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #29
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
My excuse was pretty straightforward, it cost me $9k less because nobody else wanted it off the dealer lot and I could drive it home that day vs paying $9k more and waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery of an MT car.

To each their own.

Makes sense! Today there will not be an issue like this anymore, at least in New England. I just checked Subaru of New England website and there are around 90 Brz and more than half is Manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #30
Mase123y

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I tried to do the same thing with my Automatic. I couldnt get the PP either. No matter what I did Subaru just doesnt offer it. I asked the dealer to quote me on swaping the stock brakes for the brembos after delivery and it was like 5k.
Mase123y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mase123y For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #31
JR

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
My excuse was pretty straightforward, it cost me $9k less because nobody else wanted it off the dealer lot and I could drive it home that day vs paying $9k more and waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery of an MT car.

I took the $9k I saved and put it into aftermarket upgrades. From a performance perspective you can solve most of the issues of the AT by swapping your final drive to a shorter ratio, since the difference in wtq and 0-60 is mostly due to gearing.

To each their own.
If it was that big of a discount, I would have bought the auto, ordered the manual and traded it in when the manual arrived. Aftermarket upgrades are not going to change the fact that it is an auto.

Last edited by JR; 02-25-2019 at 06:53 PM.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #32
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I took the $9k I saved and put it into aftermarket upgrades. From a performance perspective you can solve most of the issues of the AT by swapping your final drive to a shorter ratio, since the difference in wtq and 0-60 is mostly due to gearing.

To each their own.
$9k less than the MSRP of one with a MT or $9k less than the best negotiated price of one with a MT? Many on this forum have bought new MT Premium BRZs for $24-25k and MT Limited PP BRZs for $26-27k. It’s hard to imagine that they sold you a brand new AT BRZ for $9k less than that... It’s also likely that they could trade with another lot to get a MT car faster than 6-8 weeks or you could just buy from a different lot.
Yes, some performance gap can be made up by throwing money at the AT car and swapping parts... but I for one would still prefer a MT even if the performance were identical. The MT is just more involving and fun IMO, especially in a small 4 cylinder car like this.
As you said though... to each their own.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #33
NeverInTime

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
I test drove an auto BRZ and a PP BRZ when I was initially shopping around. The PP is noticeably a bit stiffer over the bumps compared to the stock car. On the flip side I haven't minded manual in traffic as the clutch is pretty light, and all of the complements that I've gotten on my car have been from the PP visual add-ons (wheels, brembos, wing). The auto's manual mode is pretty decent, but it's nowhere near as fun having the actual stick.
NeverInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverInTime For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
So, what's in a name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
“Pretty good deal” is an understatement for the performance package as it includes Brembo brakes, wider wheels and Sachs dampers for a mere $1,100 upcharge...
Name brands are just name brands.

Would it matter if the brakes were Stoptech,Powerstop, Baer, or Willwood? No, I don't think so as all of these companies make excellent brake products. "Brembo" is just one of those names that gets thrown around as "high-end" when in actuality, a lot of OEM brake pieces/parts are made by Brembo, but not advertised as such as they are a company that also makes just "regular" parts too.

Same goes for Sachs. Why does it matter if the dampers are made by Sachs? My 04 GTI came with dampers made by Sachs, but it wasn't on the brochure. It was just listed as a "sport suspension".

Sachs makes a lot of OEM stuff, just like Brembo, but just because it says "Sachs" on the part doesn't mean it is automatically "high-end".

What if the dampers were Koni, Bilstein, Tein, or Ohlins? Would it matter what name is on the part? With their (Sachs) name on the part, all it means to me is that they (Sachs) made the part to Subaru's specification.

In reality, it could have been made by any shock/suspension company. Who's to say that Sachs doesn't make the regular BRZ suspension? Do they?

Brembo, Sachs, BBS, etc. are just manufacturer name dropping companies that have some cache in the automotive landscape and it looks cool in the brochure.

It is good that the parts are made by these companies, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are better than the same parts made by another reputable company.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #35
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
Name brands are just name brands.

Would it matter if the brakes were Stoptech,Powerstop, Baer, or Willwood? No, I don't think so as all of these companies make excellent brake products. "Brembo" is just one of those names that gets thrown around as "high-end" when in actuality, a lot of OEM brake pieces/parts are made by Brembo, but not advertised as such as they are a company that also makes just "regular" parts too.

Same goes for Sachs. Why does it matter if the dampers are made by Sachs? My 04 GTI came with dampers made by Sachs, but it wasn't on the brochure. It was just listed as a "sport suspension".

Sachs makes a lot of OEM stuff, just like Brembo, but just because it says "Sachs" on the part doesn't mean it is automatically "high-end".

What if the dampers were Koni, Bilstein, Tein, or Ohlins? Would it matter what name is on the part? With their (Sachs) name on the part, all it means to me is that they (Sachs) made the part to Subaru's specification.

In reality, it could have been made by any shock/suspension company. Who's to say that Sachs doesn't make the regular BRZ suspension? Do they?

Brembo, Sachs, BBS, etc. are just manufacturer name dropping companies that have some cache in the automotive landscape and it looks cool in the brochure.

It is good that the parts are made by these companies, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are better than the same parts made by another reputable company.
I see that you are “waiting on a 19 Premium BRZ”, so I can see where the rant above is coming from. You are acting as if the PP parts are exactly the same as the Premium trim parts, only with a different brand name on them. Did I say that Brembo is better than “Stoptech,Powerstop, Baer, or Willwood”? No I did not. Are the Brembos included with the PP an upgrade over the stock brakes on the Premium BRZ? Yes... only a fool would claim otherwise. Are the Sachs dampers with the PP the best in the world? No... nobody is claiming that. Are they an upgrade over the Premium model BRZ? Again, yes they are.
The upgrades that you get for $1,100 (in reality they don’t even add that much to the price of the car unless you pay MSRP for some unknown reason) with the PP are better than what you could source yourself for the same money and are a steal for the price... and they are upgrades compared to the Premium parts, that was my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #36
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Hi guys
Maybe it is a silly question but what is the reason the limited Automatic can not have the PP? Is there a way to have it originally on the Automatic BRZ. I just like the look of the Brembo and the alloys for the price. Thanks

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7CK_jxV_U[/ame]
Busybee (02-26-2019), DaBoBo21 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #37
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It’s hard to imagine that they sold you a brand new AT BRZ for $9k less than that...
@Tristor and I bought from the same dealership just a couple weeks apart and I too got a pretty good deal on my AT BRZ (which was brand new). I didn't get as much off as he did, but if I remember correctly it was as much as $7.5K off MSRP. It was at the time the '18's were rolling onto the lots, so they wanted the '17's gone I suppose.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #38
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
@Tristor and I bought from the same dealership just a couple weeks apart and I too got a pretty good deal on my AT BRZ (which was brand new). I didn't get as much off as he did, but if I remember correctly it was as much as $7.5K off MSRP. It was at the time the '18's were rolling onto the lots, so they wanted the '17's gone I suppose.
You two seem to have gotten sizeable discounts... but what I was saying is that even if he got $9k off of MSRP, that doesn't mean that it was $9k less than what somebody could buy a MT BRZ for unless they are dumb enough to pay MSRP. If he actually paid $9k less than what most people actually pay for a MT BRZ ($24-27k depending on options) that would mean that he only paid $15-18k for his AT BRZ... which I seriously doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #39
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You two seem to have gotten sizeable discounts... but what I was saying is that even if he got $9k off of MSRP, that doesn't mean that it was $9k less than what somebody could buy a MT BRZ for unless they are dumb enough to pay MSRP. If he actually paid $9k less than what most people actually pay for a MT BRZ ($24-27k depending on options) that would mean that he only paid $15-18k for his AT BRZ... which I seriously doubt.

To put any questions to rest, I paid $22630 for it before taxes, title, and registration. My out the door price was just under $26k, which included all mandatory (state) fees as well as an additional service contract that I specifically asked for (it wasn't sold on to me). I have a good relationship with that particular dealership and have bought from the exact sales person before. The car was exactly as I wanted with the exception of being a Limited AT vs a PP MT. But it was the correct color (which is actually very important for me) and there were only two in the state in that color at the time, the other was at a dealer in Dallas I didn't want to deal with (bad history). It had 3 miles on the odo when I got in for my test drive, and 7 on the paperwork. MSRP was somewhere in the neighborhood $32k. I paid all my fees and the service contract out of pocket and placed and additional $5k down and financed through my credit union at 1.35%, figuring I could take my cash and invest it elsewhere at a higher rate of return. Seems to have worked out okay for me, since the value on the car is higher than what I owe on the loan, which is more than I can say for most owners of this platform.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-26-2019), ermax (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
JR

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Seems to have worked out okay for me, since the value on the car is higher than what I owe on the loan, which is more than I can say for most owners of this platform.

SHOTS FIRED!
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #41
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Woow! That’s an amazing deal. Do you remember what was Kile blue book giving as a extreme fair price at that time?

Great deal!

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #42
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
That's great and all....

But I can't imagine how much less fun this car would be with an auto trans. Price and all other factors aside, transmission choice is #1 for me. I got a great deal on mine, don't owe much on it, etc etc. But I have that third pedal and a shifter that requires my attention. That's more important than anything else. This car completely loses its appeal to me with an auto trans, just like about any other car, for that matter.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imped4now For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-26-2019)