follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #183
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
IIRC people in Fukushima didn't die cause of the plant, they died cause of the earthquake and the tsunami it caused
yeah the plant itself didnt kill the population.

nuclear is probably one of the safest and one of the most deadly plants to have. All it takes is one disaster to happen and things go REAL bad. And unlike other plants you cant just clean it up and fix it, its pretty much containment, then a slow controlled cleanup in order not to kill anyone, assuming you can actually get close enough to get it under control without the radiation killing you.

I think the Fukushima plant was made to withstand huge tsunamis already, but the one that hit it was even bigger than it was designed to withstand. One of those 1 in a thousand situations that no one can really see coming. I mean they could have designed for such a scenario from the start but based on how old the plant is and when it was designed they likely thought the current criteria was already on the high side of things.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #184
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
IIRC people in Fukushima didn't die cause of the plant, they died cause of the earthquake and the tsunami it caused
The nuclear-related problem is that nobody can live there anymore, and all those people had to leave literally all of their property behind. One minute you are at work or school, the next you are a homeless refugee with nothing. Better than killed by a tsunami, but still pretty shitty and makes for a bad public image of the cause.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-02-2020), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #185
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
yeah the plant itself didnt kill the population.

nuclear is probably one of the safest and one of the most deadly plants to have. All it takes is one disaster to happen and things go REAL bad. And unlike other plants you cant just clean it up and fix it, its pretty much containment, then a slow controlled cleanup in order not to kill anyone, assuming you can actually get close enough to get it under control without the radiation killing you.

I think the Fukushima plant was made to withstand huge tsunamis already, but the one that hit it was even bigger than it was designed to withstand. One of those 1 in a thousand situations that no one can really see coming. I mean they could have designed for such a scenario from the start but based on how old the plant is and when it was designed they likely thought the current criteria was already on the high side of things.
It hasn’t been that deadly. Compared to other forms of energy, it is the least deadly or something. Watch the videos above.

Unfortunately the failure at Fukushima was more of a reflection of not meeting the safety standards of a barrier that was in place at other plants. Obviously a nuclear disaster is worse than a coal shaft that collapses or a wind turbine that catches on fire. This is why the smaller type of reactors that can’t melt down are nice.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:31 AM   #186
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post

The Fukushima plant ("generation 2") required cooling water circulation after reactor shutoff, and the tsunami knocked out the diesel generators powering the pumps. "Generation 3" reactors are supposed to be safer, with passive cooling built in.

Gen 4 MSRs and pebble bed reactors are inherently safer yet, where the fuel is incapable of exceeding some reasonably low temperature by design, and there's no radioactive water coolant.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-03-2020 at 03:45 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #187
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Production of the pebbles still generates a significant amount of highly ionizing waste materials.

There is currently NO facility in the US capable of accepting these. NIMBY

Yucca Mountain

The business plan for the last 300 years of toxic material manufacturing is to spin off a holding company to lease the property from.
Once the plant wears out or becomes inefficient and dangerous, the holding company goes bankrupt and leaves it behind.

Looking out for the shareholders. Good for business.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-05-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #188
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Production of the pebbles still generates a significant amount of highly ionizing waste materials.

There is currently NO facility in the US capable of accepting these. NIMBY

Yucca Mountain

The business plan for the last 300 years of toxic material manufacturing is to spin off a holding company to lease the property from.
Once the plant wears out or becomes inefficient and dangerous, the holding company goes bankrupt and leaves it behind.

Looking out for the shareholders. Good for business.
That doesn’t sound like a good or necessary business plan.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #189
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Welcome to our legal system. By bankrupting the 'company', it leaves the shareholders off the hook from having to pay for site cleanup expenses to do anything else with the land.

We get nuclear power, they get money, and future generations get the fallout. Literally.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #190
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Welcome to our legal system. By bankrupting the 'company', it leaves the shareholders off the hook from having to pay for site cleanup expenses to do anything else with the land.

We get nuclear power, they get money, and future generations get the fallout. Literally.
Seems unnecessary. The public could own and operate the operation.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:25 AM   #191
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is interesting, maybe there is hope yet...

https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-dev...bustion-engine
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #192
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
This is interesting, maybe there is hope yet...

https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-dev...bustion-engine
This is old chemistry and has been known for a long time. The two key things here are first, using renewable energy (e.g. wind) to power the process, and two, making it cost-effective with fossil fuels.

Hydrogen has been touted as a 'miracle' fuel for a while. One of the (several) problems with it is that it takes more energy to make than you get out of it (pesky laws of thermodynamics). Reacting it with carbon to make liquid methanol solves one of hydrogen's problems (though also takes more energy), that of transport (since most of the world has infrastructure in place to transport and store stable liquid fuel, but not either gaseous hydrogen, or hydrogen compressed and cooled to -253 deg C in liquid form).

The principle is sound, and would theoretically be carbon-neutral - IF the power source for the process was renewable, and IF the final product could be made cost-competitively with fossil fuels. That second point has been a problem for so many alternative liquid fuels, such as hydrocarbon or alcohol based fuels from algae. They're great ideas and work in principle. But if the final product is more expensive than fossil fuels, it doesn't work in the real world.

At least not in a culture like the U.S. where making money is always the highest priority, and often the only priority.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #193
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I guess that’s neutral in the sense of stoichometry. I couldn’t afford a new Mirai and I’m not holding my breath my financial futures afford me a fuel cell Porsche.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #194
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Banning ice is just talk for now. They can't even get rid of tiktok
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:28 AM   #195
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Banning ice is just talk for now. They can't even get rid of tiktok
California is way better at being Authoritarian compared to the Federal government
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #196
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
California is way better at being Authoritarian compared to the Federal government
Is it authoritarian to say I can't take my garbage down to the local lake and dump it there?

The fact that there are laws doesn't inherently make something authoritarian.
Lantanafrs2 (12-13-2020)