follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjoy77 View Post
Been thinking about how much I love this car and honestly I'm not sure if I can pick a better DD. So go ahead what car do you think could possibly be a better DD?

All things DD considered, cost, milage, gas, maintenance, tires, ect.
My FR-S is my daily driver, average commute per day (round trip) just short of 90 miles. I couldn't think of a car I'd rather drive more that wouldn't cost me twice as much.

The fuel economy (I average 30+ MPG), the fun factor, and the ability to have a little driving "Fun" at the posted speed limits all adds up to a win for me.

That said, the FR-S could not be my ONLY car, is perhaps that what you are asking?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
chickdigger802

Drives: 1997 Geo Prizm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I get confused by the term DD. When I think DD, I think of a vehicle used for work commute with enough space for a grocery run. For travel trips or Costco runs, a van or SUV would do, but I wouldn't drive those around for work (well unless those are related to your work).

86 seems like a fine DD for my definition, but if you carpool a lot, something bigger might be better.
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
nedmundo

Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As others said, it all depends on what you need from a daily driver. I have a sizable commute on noisy, rough concrete highways, and often cart my kids around with their friends. I also play bass guitar in a band, so I sometimes haul instruments and amplification. (I could probably get instruments and a small rig into the FR-S, but that doesn't always cut it.) So, for me, the FR-S wouldn't be a great DD. Several cars would be better, including my 2010 TSX. My pick of current cars would probably be the Focus ST, but I'd wait until it's been "debugged" another year or two.

I'm soon getting rid of my commute though, so maybe...
nedmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
bdub85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FR-S is my DD. It works great for me, and I drive around 60 miles a day. My low MPG average is around 32, and the highest I've got is 35.
bdub85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmundo View Post
As others said, it all depends on what you need from a daily driver. I have a sizable commute on noisy, rough concrete highways, and often cart my kids around with their friends. I also play bass guitar in a band, so I sometimes haul instruments and amplification. (I could probably get instruments and a small rig into the FR-S, but that doesn't always cut it.) So, for me, the FR-S wouldn't be a great DD. Several cars would be better, including my 2010 TSX. My pick of current cars would probably be the Focus ST, but I'd wait until it's been "debugged" another year or two. I'm soon getting rid of my commute though, so maybe...
That goes back to my question (and yours) about do you mean Daily Driver, or Only Driver. In my daily driving (what I do 80% of the time) the FR-S is fine. I commute in it, can share a ride or pick up a kid in it, I even make grocery and Sam's runs in it on a "normal" day.

My wife is in a similar situation as you. She uses her Mustang convertible for her daily use, but she plays in a band (keyboard) and uses our Suburban for that. In the end though the Mustang is her DD, and the Suburban acts as the exception.

In an "Only Car" scenario, I wouldn't have the FR-S, I'd DD the Suburban instead.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
In an "Only Car" scenario, I wouldn't have the FR-S, I'd DD the Suburban instead.
In an only car scenario I'm going with a sporty hatchback or sedan, though gas mileage will certainly be a problem for long commuters driving something like a WRX. Have to sacrifice something IMO; you can't have sporty, fun, spacious, AND fuel-sipping.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
It does depend on whether you have another car or not and what your lifestyle is. My FR-S is my only car, but I am 25 and single. I do grocery runs and occasionally have a passenger. I do not carry guitars, camping supplies, or home depot rebuilding projects, if you were doing that then you would need another vehicle, but you already knew that. My commute is 80 miles a day for work of mostly highway driving and I get 33 MPG average.

The fun factor of driving the car everyday is top notch, my favorite part of the day is coming out of my office and realizing that shiny red car is mine. Really depends on what your goals are if this is a good DD or not. The real expense of this car is not what requires it to stay on the road, it is all the stuff you end up buying from browsing this forum.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Brianjoy77

Drives: 2013 FR-S Silver 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone the replies were great a lot of good points were made.

Just got one more question.

If I don't really want to mod, would the base FR-S with the manual transmission be good enough? Or is the extra money for the AT worth it?

No mods and DD aspect in mind.
Brianjoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Realistically, there I no need to have a manual car if you’renever gonna see the track. (And even then, if you’re not chasing the championtitle then you can bomb around the track in an auto just fine).

So it’s entirely a personal matter.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjoy77 View Post
Thanks everyone the replies were great a lot of good points were made.

Just got one more question.

If I don't really want to mod, would the base FR-S with the manual transmission be good enough? Or is the extra money for the AT worth it?

No mods and DD aspect in mind.
The base fr-s makes a very pleasing daily driver. There's really no need to mod, unless you plan on tracking it or get a "need for speed" .

And go with whichever transmission you prefer, they are both great. I highly recommend the M/T, as it just gives a lot more sense of engagement that the A/T does not. But, for a daily driver, either would be fine. I still prefer my M/T daily driver over the A/T 100% (I've owned both, so just make sure you pick the right one and don't go down my road....)

Either way its a great car
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote