follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, KR-S, Tcoat

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #127
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
HI,

May I ask you what your opinion to upgrade the stock break to big brake system is?
I saw one which can fit the OEM wheel and also streetable.
http://www.essexpartsblog.com/news/New-product-ap-racing-ft86-formula-road-car-brake-systems
How do you think?
Thanks.
From what I recall the reviews were saying a weak point of this car is the clamping force of the brakes softens after a bit of aggressive driving (I believe a video review from MotorTrend said that after a couple laps around Laguna Seca). So any kind of brake upgrade would be valid (AP Racing is reputable and the kit looks great with stainless steel braided lines and everything) especially if you plan to do some repetitive hard braking. For regular street driving - though the stock brakes would suffice - better, more durable brakes will always be better. Just make sure you get grippy tires to match the brake upgrade to maximize the benefit - clamping power means nothing if you don't have traction. I've actually never upgraded brakes myself (just changed replaced old stock pads for new stock pads) and for my purposes I don't see a pressing need to.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #128
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
HI,

Did you feel any different after installing the TRD CF strut tower bar?
I also saw a lot of people install the TRD door stabilizer.
What’s your option for that?
My BRZ just for daily drive and street application (not for race and track).
I am not sure these stuffs still useful for me or not.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #129
cslntuee

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
From what I recall the reviews were saying a weak point of this car is the clamping force of the brakes softens after a bit of aggressive driving (I believe a video review from MotorTrend said that after a couple laps around Laguna Seca). So any kind of brake upgrade would be valid (AP Racing is reputable and the kit looks great with stainless steel braided lines and everything) especially if you plan to do some repetitive hard braking. For regular street driving - though the stock brakes would suffice - better, more durable brakes will always be better. Just make sure you get grippy tires to match the brake upgrade to maximize the benefit - clamping power means nothing if you don't have traction. I've actually never upgraded brakes myself (just changed replaced old stock pads for new stock pads) and for my purposes I don't see a pressing need to.
How about only upgrade the direct brake line?
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads..._002_798_0.pdf

Do you think that is useful or worth to do that?

Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #130
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
How about only upgrade the direct brake line?
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/7d769da3-c8c0-4ff5-a864-aa0d89120061/GT86_Direct_brake_line_MS227_18001_AIM_002_798_0.p df

Do you think that is useful or worth to do that?

Thanks again.
SS braided brake lines are always better than not because it will firm up the brake feel. According to Car and Driver:
Quote:
SUBARU BRZ • 3:18.6
There is one thing the BRZ lacks. It's not power, though it wouldn't hurt to have more. It's not grip, though we wouldn't turn down stickier tires. It's brakes. We could barely crack off  a single flying lap before the middle pedal had all the firmness of a goose-down pillow.
But the weakness seems to be in the pads. A company only modified the pads and brake fluid for their Nurburgring rental cars:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMash View Post
The guys at rent4ring have kept the brakes but changed the brake pads (Endless MA45B) with Motul fluids and reckon that will be fine for a full day of action round' the ring.

Could be a slightly cheaper option than changing the full brake kit.
Quote:
HI,

Did you feel any different after installing the TRD CF strut tower bar?
I also saw a lot of people install the TRD door stabilizer.
What’s your option for that?
My BRZ just for daily drive and street application (not for race and track).
I am not sure these stuffs still useful for me or not.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
I think the door stabilizers are a cool feature that improve rigidity. But you should research what people who own it say about it and form your own opinion because that would be more meaningful than mine. A reason I chose the TRD strut bar is because when going slowly over bumps/driveways at an angle I can almost feel the front end flexing as one front wheel goes over followed by the other front wheel. It might be psychological. Either way, I wanted to minimize the wear of this torsional force (if any) with the bar. With it, the flex seems to be reduced now (though it may be psychological). But I do feel an improvement when turning fast and hard. I chose TRD because it looked like they only used a necessary amount of materials (doesn't need much since there are already the "V" bars going to the firewall and CF reduces weight further). And the design looks different compared to other TRD bars (I've had TRD bars for 2 other Toyotas) which tells me they didn't just take a blanket design then adapted it to fit. Meaning it looked less like a generic tower bar design (particularly at the mounting points) and more like one specifically for this car.

And for the sake of my wallet, I try to limit myself to mods that folllow the formula below. The door stabilizers don't fit in that category so I'll save them for those times if/when the mod bug hits me uncontrollably hard.
Attached Images

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (03-03-2013), chanomatik (03-07-2013), clzzical (03-08-2013), cslntuee (03-03-2013), Pascal_TTH (03-04-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #131
Jeffboyarrdee

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited wr blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
it makes sense...because the car is of both!
Jeffboyarrdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #132
Burrcold

Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
And for the sake of my wallet, I try to limit myself to mods that folllow the formula below. The door stabilizers don't fit in that category so I'll save them for those times if/when the mod bug hits me uncontrollably hard.
LOL that's pretty awesome!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #133
cslntuee

Thanks a lot for your comment and feedback.
I did try to survey related to door stabilizers.
Most of articles which I read here sound not too much different for daily driver.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=door
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=door

However, I read the post from Taiwan forum ( I come from Taiwan).
All of the posts are very positive. I am totally confused.
http://86-club.tw/forum.php?mod=view...t=%AA%F9%A6%A9 (In Chinese)

Thank you.

Quote:
SS braided brake lines are always better than not because it will firm up the brake feel. According to Car and Driver:

But the weakness seems to be in the pads. A company only modified the pads and brake fluid for their Nurburgring rental cars:

I think the door stabilizers are a cool feature that improve rigidity. But you should research what people who own it say about it and form your own opinion because that would be more meaningful than mine. A reason I chose the TRD strut bar is because when going slowly over bumps/driveways at an angle I can almost feel the front end flexing as one front wheel goes over followed by the other front wheel. It might be psychological. Either way, I wanted to minimize the wear of this torsional force (if any) with the bar. With it, the flex seems to be reduced now (though it may be psychological). But I do feel an improvement when turning fast and hard. I chose TRD because it looked like they only used a necessary amount of materials (doesn't need much since there are already the "V" bars going to the firewall and CF reduces weight further). And the design looks different compared to other TRD bars (I've had TRD bars for 2 other Toyotas) which tells me they didn't just take a blanket design then adapted it to fit. Meaning it looked less like a generic tower bar design (particularly at the mounting points) and more like one specifically for this car.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #134
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Shouldn't it have been called STD instead?

STD = Subaru Toyota Development.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #135
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Too funny!

Subaru Toyota Tecnica Racing Development International would be awesome! (STTRDI)

Switch, any desire for STI driving gloves? Do you have driving gloves already?

I just spoke with Yuki and they have the gurney flap, driving gloves, blue engine cover, under panels and STI sports filter in stock. I need to jump on those soon...
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #136
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Too funny!

Subaru Toyota Tecnica Racing Development International would be awesome! (STTRDI)

Switch, any desire for STI driving gloves? Do you have driving gloves already?

I just spoke with Yuki and they have the gurney flap, driving gloves, blue engine cover, under panels and STI sports filter in stock. I need to jump on those soon...
Lol too many letters >_<

I have other gloves that are good enough for now but STI gloves are damn lustworthy.

Jump on it thennnn!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #137
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Small update. Installed the optional JDM underbody aero package panels a couple weeks ago. Didn't notice any drastic change but it is assuring to know that my car slips through air more efficiently and is somewhat more insulated from road noise. Also been meaning to post this size reference of the TRD Sound Changers which I've had installed for awhile.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-12-2013 at 01:54 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #138
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
FYI - I have no shame, and I totally stole your License plate idea for my state.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #139
clzzical

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT SWP
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
FYI - I have no shame, and I totally stole your License plate idea for my state.
LOL nice
clzzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #140
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
Haha go right ahead, buddy. I got no plans to move to ND and already got my dad in CA taking care of a plate in his state should I ever move back there.