follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How did you get into cars?

How did you guys/gal(s?) become car people? And if you got a love for a certain brand feel free to include

Mine was when I was 9 and we went to my uncles place. My uncle had just bought himself a new car and when the grown up were all busy talkin he didnt want me to get bored so he asked me if I wanted to take a spin in his new car which turned out to be a black mkIII supra turbo.

one ride in that thing and I was hooked soo amazed by what it could do and was and of course that developed my love for Toyota
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know anything about cars until I turned 18 and got my first car. I literally was car-stupid. I couldn't name a Camry if you pointed to one on the road.

Now I'm proud to say I've learned a lot and made significant improvements. I was previously into computers so I don't blame myself for not knowing anything.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Since I was 15, and heavily in to mechanics since I was 16 and got my 1st car and rebuilt the engine
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I kinda.. just got into cars this year. I didn't know anything about cars (still somewhat am lol) I seriously... couldn't tell apart from a Celica and a supra. Most of my friends are car enthusiast or racers and they would ALWAYS talk about it. Me? I was the person who is majoring in the health field and wasn't so interested. Especially since I was more into the PC gaming rigs and.. computers. (I also hate driving because of my car. I was involved in a 5 car accident because some crazy Persian girl decided to not break at a stop light.) So I hated it. Lol

Then.. when I went to a few car meets due to my friend dragging me... I met some mixed Japanese girls who drifted and ever since I've fallen in love with drifting. Went to some canyons/mountain runs and BAM. Got me hooked. Also didn't help that I got caught up in photography as well... Going to different places to take photos and cars or even attend photoshoots.

I learned somethings here and then but never really fully understood everything. I picked up stick shift on my own. Mostly by watching my friend's drive and talk about it, so when I got to drive the 180sx it was pretty easy. Until they asked me if I wanted to pick up drifting.. and well I learned it but.. all I can say is.. I'm still learning. LOL don't have a proper car to drift (yet.)

So you won't see me in this forum putting my 2¢ in engine/drivetrains etc. I'm not educated enough in cars to say anything; although I would love to learn. Ask me about different diseases.. how to treat broken bones.. what happens in an x-ray lab etc and I can help with that, but cars? Lol I struggled to find the water cap in my car for my windshield wipers. hahaha

Sorry long post.
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
When I was 17, I was really interested in cars and bikes. I kinda like cars more than bikes. I'm not knowledgeable about mechanical stuff, but that doesn't mean I can't do it. Some regular stuff like change the coilover and s*** should be no problem. I like seeing people drifting, but never attempt once. Hopefully, I will soon( out of the road, of course).
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
^pretty much the same as dark but it was since i was real young like 9 because my dad would always take me to my 4 uncles seperate workshops, kind of the same reason i dont know much about cars is because everytime something went wrong all i had to do as take it to one of their shops and the problem would be fixed
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
For me, it's in my DNA. My father's side is pure Racing-holic. My father & uncle used to race in Wangan here's the pic of my father's SKyline Ken & Mary Edi. w my mother

Currently my uncle is still car-mania (my dad converted into bike-mania). He own several GT-R (two R32, he just love R32). Here's a pic of my uncle's "show car". That GT-R is he's baby, so he didn't even let me sit inside

Mother's side is just power-mania. Never seen grandfather driving 4 cylinder cars. He always had I6, v6, & currently own v8 Nissan Cima. When mother was young, she drove Honda City Turbo. w City Turbo she ran Irohazaka several time (so she claims).

I'm both racer & mechanic (try to be anyways). Went to several events & do almost all the work on my car (as long as it doesn't need special tools). Here's a pic of current car when I finish overhauling the engine.

& me & my friends waiting to get into the track

I did several touge races... and I mean "touge" & not a "canyon" w my cousins, but I learned my lesson and stop racing in touge (in night time).

So I was born to love cars & born to race.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Back in the early 90s i was about 10 or 11 while i still lived in Jamaica i remember my neighbors friend drove a white turbo supra...was clueless back then...then i payed more attention to the cars i saw around me...it was a love for the EG6 civic si, early integras/and DC2s, then turbo starlets and the ford sierra cosworth (best thing ford ever made), by the mid 90s i was hook. then came to the states my dad had a 88 celica i think i know it was FR thats when i learned how to drive then in 02 i bought my first new car a Blue RSX-S...now waiting on the FT86 lol

Last edited by Shevon; 03-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
For me, it's in my DNA. My father's side is pure Racing-holic. My father & uncle used to race in Wangan here's the pic of my father's SKyline Ken & Mary Edi. w my mother

Currently my uncle is still car-mania (my dad converted into bike-mania). He own several GT-R (two R32, he just love R32). Here's a pic of my uncle's "show car". That GT-R is he's baby, so he didn't even let me sit inside

Mother's side is just power-mania. Never seen grandfather driving 4 cylinder cars. He always had I6, v6, & currently own v8 Nissan Cima. When mother was young, she drove Honda City Turbo. w City Turbo she ran Irohazaka several time (so she claims).

I'm both racer & mechanic (try to be anyways). Went to several events & do almost all the work on my car (as long as it doesn't need special tools). Here's a pic of current car when I finish overhauling the engine.

& me & my friends waiting to get into the track

I did several touge races... and I mean "touge" & not a "canyon" w my cousins, but I learned my lesson and stop racing in touge (in night time).

So I was born to love cars & born to race.

Nice GTR your uncles got man. I wish I had one LOL

I prolly got into cars when i was 17 since I had a few friends who were enthusiasts and went to car meets and such.
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Grew up with dirtbikes and quads so I knew motors. Once I got old enough to drive, the fast and furious and need for speed game were huge and got me into the import scene (haha don't hate) I went to school, found a good job, and now I'm a certified tech.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevon View Post
ford sierra cosworth (best thing ford ever made)
woah woah I believe that belongs to the Ford GT40 followed by the Mach 1 Mustang then the Cosworth but yea awesome car

@ichitaka05

Its more like if you weren't into cars you would be disowned hahaha
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikostC View Post

Nice GTR your uncles got man. I wish I had one LOL
Yeah that GT-R was crazy! It was so clean too. underneath was well kept & I didn't see one spot of rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
@ichitaka05

Its more like if you weren't into cars you would be disowned hahaha
Hm... idk, in both of my family, never seen family member that doesn't like cars (specially father's side). My lil brother might be odd one of the family cuz he like American cars more than Japanese car... but other than that seriously both side of family is car fan.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I was given a little plastic '30's looking Ford sedan toy car from someone in the family (can't remember who) the day I was born.

Rest is history.

Oh ichi, I agree with your Uncle: R32 > All modern GTR's, especially black R32's...

I say modern, because the best GTR ever, is the one, the only, the Hakosuka!

I'd give both balls to own a KPGC10. Kids be damned, I want one! I'd say limbs, but then I couldn't enjoy it.

Last edited by OldSkoolToys; 03-13-2011 at 07:31 PM.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My uncle bought me my first road & track magazine when I was about 10, and then I instantly loved cars. I still get the magazine today, but I read autoblog on a daily basis instead.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote