follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an aero Kit designed by me?
Yes, I would if i was considering a kit. 82 43.16%
No, I would not buy a kit from you if i was considering a kit. 16 8.42%
No, I am not considering a kit. 35 18.42%
Undecided, Not Sure if I want a kit or not 17 8.95%
Undecided, I am considering a kit but I would like to look at my options first. 40 21.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #29
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3scapist View Post
Only functional aero kits for me, splitters/airdams and a functional spoiler.
Side skirts are sorta functional, they prevent air from "leaking" in from the sides especially if you are using diffuser/smooth underbody.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #30
JDM-dono

Drives: WRB BRZ '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
It would sound cool if someone saw your bodykit on a car and the owner would say. "I got that wings of war body kit." Sounds cool. Will you have a logo or a decal?
JDM-dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #31
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Josh, you fixed that grill. Your work is awesome as always.
The fake vent on the fender should go away if it's not functional or you can remove the black plastic insert on the fender vent.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #32
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I voted the last one. For me it is important for the kit to be agressive but functional, and not just some vulgar RICE looking kit. I want it to stay in the same design language/style as the OEM however, and with good quality and OEM fitments.
I will fisrt need to look at other options before deciding on one, I am thinking about 5-Axis, Vorsteiner, Amuse, TRD/STI if they are not bumper add-ons.

Details: LED bar can be accepted if nicely intergrated, but important to have functional brake ducts instead and no fog lights.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #33
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Good job on the front grill man. Might be just the angle but it makes the BRZ look way more menacing. Where's the FR-S body kit by wings =D I would totally consider driving all the way to Seattle to get one of your custom kits for the FR-S. You are like soul of the Photoshop forum and now your making kits from all the suggestions you got over the year, I'm sure almost everyone here will love your kits.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #34
Sato Tatsuya

Drives: 2002/2003 Toyota Camry
Will you be making a FR-S kit as well? I am curious how that one will turn out if you do end up making one.
Sato Tatsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #35
Rampant

Drives: Always looking for the next one
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post

-The Front bumper shape is virtually unchanged from the factory bumper. However i have tightened up the front air damn for more popular style found in the current impreza/GTR/Evo. Iv have also added a 3inch carbon lip that can attach to this modified or stock bumper.

-Sidesteps have a simple 3in drop with a carbon rear splitter.

-Quarterpannel and Fenders have been oversized 10mm and 20mm to fit larger 5x100 with lower offset wheels.

The entire kit gives the illusion of having a lower car while keeping near stock ride height. Which was inspired by RWB built Porsche 911.
I have several questions:
- how will the oversized rear fenders be attached? If it is to be blended, it will be much more expensive and might have problems blending and getting the paint to work on mixed materials.

- I think the 3" drop seems too extreme. If you drop the car, it will be scraping and not very usable on public streets.

- I would prefer to see a more "interesting" front end. If you want me to spend $2k+ on a kit, I want it to look different. The lip itself would be just fine on that render and would be a lot cheaper

- If you are going the RWB route, I would try to bring more RWB elements into it (extreme flares, extreme drop, extreme wings, etc.). Personally, I don't think the RWB approach is right for this car. Also, the RWB front lip is not carbon, but a more pliable material so it can be driven on the street.
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #36
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Beautiful work man, you have great taste. Im interested to see how you interpret the other type!

The only thing I would reconsider is the location of that sidemarker/blinker. Im sure the blub and wiring can be relocated to the main headlamps to forego having to fit that there; plus I dont really like looking at a lamp near there.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #37
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
I have several questions:
- how will the oversized rear fenders be attached? If it is to be blended, it will be much more expensive and might have problems blending and getting the paint to work on mixed materials.
Much like the GT300 quarter panels are attached, by a riveted panel. This way is a very popular option among current kits without having to do extensive body work. You can see the rivets and panel outline in my render. The Fenders will be a direct replacement so no bodywork is necessary aside from the obvious.

Quote:
- I think the 3" drop seems too extreme. If you drop the car, it will be scraping and not very usable on public streets.
3in is steep, but the philosophy behind the aero im building is to maintain a low sporty stance without the need to drop the suspension. AKA Ride High but look low. The actual dimensions are subject to change once iv double checked the my 3D model is 1:1 scale and accurate.

Quote:
- I would prefer to see a more "interesting" front end. If you want me to spend $2k+ on a kit, I want it to look different. The lip itself would be just fine on that render and would be a lot cheaper
Thats cool, everyone has their own personal styles. "Interesting" is not what i was going for. I want really, focus on bringing OEM elements forward, providing a clean non-aftermarket look. I believe there are going to be plenty of "Interesting" kits in the future, i want to play on the other side of those tracks.

Quote:
- If you are going the RWB route, I would try to bring more RWB elements into it (extreme flares, extreme drop, extreme wings, etc.). Personally, I don't think the RWB approach is right for this car. Also, the RWB front lip is not carbon, but a more pliable material so it can be driven on the street.
I never said i was going RWB route...I was merely inspired by one RWB build which had the 911 look like it was scraping the ground..but in fact was still at stock ride height. The other parts you bring up such as (extreme flares, extreme drop, extreme wings, etc.) are counter-intuitive to my direction.

I hope this answers all your questions Rampant, I know my style and flavor in automotive aesthetics tuning isn't up your ally. But thanks for the inquiry.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #38
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
Great render, however, for me the front lip just doesn't suit the car. It looks heavy (if thats the right word).

The 86 is supposed to be about lightness and agility as much as anything else, and for me the front lip gives the appearance of weight. Its just a bit bulky looking.

Hope thats constructive in some way as not intended to put your work down!
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
nrclptcnsmniak
Professional Athlete

Drives: Marty's Hover Board
cool stuff. where can i find actual pictures of your finished products? I am assuming youve made some before?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #40
Kage

Drives: 2000 Celica Gts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kage
Idk how to respond. I'm not nessarily looking for a kit but if I saw one i thought looked better than stock I'd probably go for it. That said your design is very nice for the brz. But, I hate the way the brz looks to begin with and would prefer an frs kit. If you made an frs design Id openly consider it.
I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people. I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #41
nrclptcnsmniak
Professional Athlete

Drives: Marty's Hover Board
Im a simple person as well. A lip is all I need and its always better if things dont need to be cut. the BRZ looks good WOW
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
meWant

Drives: '16 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
WOW. this looks amazing. after seeing this i'd buy a kit you make in a heartbeat
meWant is offline   Reply With Quote