follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #939
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
I've heard absolutely great things from James @HRITuning about the injector dynamics 1000 injectors. Apparently they are THE thing to use when tuning with ECUTek.

I haven't heard the best things about DW injectors, but I've never used them, so grain of salt, etc, etc.

I have a fully stock fuel setup (minus tuning, of course), and all is well. Has been for over a year now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoChicksOneSTI View Post
Thanks guys!
The new ID 1050X, specifically, which are made through a partnership with Bosch Motorsport. The old ID 1000s arent nearly as good.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Rybot (10-26-2017), TwoChicksOneSTI (10-30-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #940
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
The new ID 1050X, specifically, which are made through a partnership with Bosch Motorsport. The old ID 1000s arent nearly as good.
I stand corrected then. I just recall a large verbal fondness of the IDXs from James. At least I know what I'm getting when I go to change my spark plugs (if I'm that far into the engine, may as well upgrade to those).
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #941
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've heard absolutely great things from James @HRITuning about the injector dynamics 1000 injectors. Apparently they are THE thing to use when tuning with ECUTek.

I haven't heard the best things about DW injectors, but I've never used them, so grain of salt, etc, etc.

I have a fully stock fuel setup (minus tuning, of course), and all is well. Has been for over a year now.
Would you be so kind to tell me the sciences on why I would need injectors for this kit if I'm staying on pump gas?

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #942
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
Would you be so kind to tell me the sciences on why I would need injectors for this kit if I'm staying on pump gas?
You don't NEED injectors, but there are benefits to using aftermarket ones.

Keep in mind I'm still on the stock fuel system, but will probably upgrade in the future for piece of mind. (1 year with no problems so far, also only on 91 octane)

A few reasons why you might upgrade:

Less taxing on the stock injectors. According to my tuner, to get around 300ish whp, the stock injectors are pretty damn close to max duty cycle, meaning they're being run close to their fullest capacity during wot. Still workable, yes, but obviously it's detrimental to the lifespan of the stock injectors.

Tunability is another factor. If a tuner is more familiar or more eager to tune given hardware parameters, the better for the driver. Less hassle and maybe more reliable.

Oh yeah, reliability. Again, close to max duty on stock. Aftermarket ones have a bit of headroom depending on your choice, which means you're not stressing the aftermarket ones near as much and potentially will last longer.

Lastly, because upgrades. While I like the car street able, I also want to dig into relevant components so I know the system well enough to fix it in the future. I'd hate to look like a knob that installed his own turbo but had no idea where the fuel rails are and how to change out injectors should they fail.

That's all I got for ya. Sorry if that didn't clear anything up.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #943
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You wouldn't need to upgrade injectors on pump gas. You would have to forge internals/lower compression ratio to safely run pump gas to a point that would max out the factory injectors' duty cycle.

I am running on 93 octane/11 PSI/Not sure of the CFM rate of the 4854 but it's not very high. Highest PI Injector Duty Cycle % I've ever seen is 71%.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #944
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
You wouldn't need to upgrade injectors on pump gas. You would have to forge internals/lower compression ratio to safely run pump gas to a point that would max out the factory injectors' duty cycle.

I am running on 93 octane/11 PSI/Not sure of the CFM rate of the 4854 but it's not very high. Highest PI Injector Duty Cycle % I've ever seen is 71%.
I'll readily admit that I haven't looked at the numbers, and wrote what I did based on what I remember my tuner telling me (might have remembered it wrong, in any case).

I'm just fearful of pushing the stock system passed 300, mostly knowning internals become an issue after 350-400 ish.

I'd say anyone reading my comment above should just take that advice generally, as again, I haven't delved into the specific details.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #945
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:

Less taxing on the stock injectors. According to my tuner, to get around 300ish whp, the stock injectors are pretty damn close to max duty cycle, meaning they're being run close to their fullest capacity during wot. Still workable, yes, but obviously it's detrimental to the lifespan of the stock injectors.
Ok I see what you're saying.

Quote:

I will look into this as well. So James never recommended any injectors?

Reason being was talking to Circuit motorsports, they thought I wanted them to tune my car there (even though I'm not), they gave me a whole list of recommendations. 3 of them were fuel pump, injectors, and even spark plugs. Looking on ft86 forums most people that have injectors are planning e85 or more power.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #946
Rybot

Quote:

Reason being was talking to Circuit motorsports, they thought I wanted them to tune my car there (even though I'm not), they gave me a whole list of recommendations. 3 of them were fuel pump, injectors, and even spark plugs. Looking on ft86 forums most people that have injectors are planning e85 or more power.
I had talked to him about 3 months after the tune just to give him an update and he had recommended ID 1000s. If there are better ones out there now (1050s according to a previous post), you might consider those.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #947
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Finally resolved the issue. We modified the downpipe and there’s plenty of clearance now. Got lucky and got a loom and sensor from an 86 before it went to the junkyard so I saved some money there. No more check engine light! The kit is running great so far. Have few more tweaks from zach and she should be running great. Car is going into the shop today for new clutch and bearings along with velox fork and pivot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #948
Amputechture

Quote:

Are you in the central FL area? James did recommend, and I obliged as they are known to be pretty much the bar setting injector these days ID1000s. I will be going flex fuel in the near future...they've just been sitting in the garage.

Bob from Circuit tuned my car before....DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR. Bob's tune was absolute garbage...my fuel trims were all over the place and the drivability whenever it was running off of MAF was absolutely horrendous. They tried to sell me on all of that also....and charged me shop fees when I got tuned....even though my car never even left their parking lot. We used King Performance's dyno for tuning but somehow I got charged shop fees. The owner Tristan knows fuck all about our cars, and really is just a salesman. When I was telling him about how I thought my MAF scaling was off....he told me my driveability was bad because I was still on the stock catback and that I "needed to upgrade it so the car can breathe better".

Bob is a nice guy but does not know how to tune FA20s. James is the guy to see here in Florida and is much more honest/transparent.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #949
Amputechture

Look up my build journal and you can see my graph with Circuit's tune. Torque dip bigger than the factory one because my MAF scaling had me going pig rich.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #950
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Are you in the central FL area? James did recommend, and I obliged as they are known to be pretty much the bar setting injector these days ID1000s. I will be going flex fuel in the near future...they've just been sitting in the garage.

Bob from Circuit tuned my car before....DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR. Bob's tune was absolute garbage...my fuel trims were all over the place and the drivability whenever it was running off of MAF was absolutely horrendous. They tried to sell me on all of that also....and charged me shop fees when I got tuned....even though my car never even left their parking lot. We used King Performance's dyno for tuning but somehow I got charged shop fees. The owner Tristan knows fuck all about our cars, and really is just a salesman. When I was telling him about how I thought my MAF scaling was off....he told me my driveability was bad because I was still on the stock catback and that I "needed to upgrade it so the car can breathe better".

Bob is a nice guy but does not know how to tune FA20s. James is the guy to see here in Florida and is much more honest/transparent.
I'm actually in GA but Im driving down to HRI. Now I'm scared to let them install it hahaha. Just haven't narrowed down an install shop yet. Yea don't worry though James will definitely be my tuner.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #951
Amputechture

Quote:
I'm actually in GA but Im driving down to HRI. Now I'm scared to let them install it hahaha. Just haven't narrowed down an install shop yet. Yea don't worry though James will definitely be my tuner.
I can't speak for their mechanical skills, but I feel that they are dishonest and will do anything and everything to sell you on unneeded parts. Are you familiar with RevWorks? SOLID shop and people and in very close in proximity, they are actually like 5 minutes away from James. If I ever build my motor, that's who I am taking my car to.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #952
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
I can't speak for their mechanical skills, but I feel that they are dishonest and will do anything and everything to sell you on unneeded parts. Are you familiar with RevWorks? SOLID shop and people and in very close in proximity, they are actually like 5 minutes away from James. If I ever build my motor, that's who I am taking my car to.
Yes! That is actually the place I am more likely to go but they havent been answering their phone or messenger for about a week, so I havent been able to get a rate. Maybe be their traveling idk.