follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #29
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would just get a drop in filter. From dyno runs on the forum here... you only get 5 extra hp over a drop in and you pay an extra 3-400$.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
djtothemoney

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I picked up my FR-S a couple of weeks ago and I ordered it with the TRD exhaust.

I would agree with most of the statements so far, sounds more rich, sounds good at start up and revving without load.

Doesn't drone on the highway (between 60-80 I've tested so far).

You can definitely notice a difference. As a note, if you plan on driving it with the rear seat folded down, it does get kind of loud. It was bugging my girlfriend on a 30 minute trip.
djtothemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I've never driven with the TRD exhaust but someone at the last auto-x i was at had it.

Much too quiet IMO. Barely louder than the stock exhaust cars, at least from the outside.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchall30 View Post
Off topic here but is the TRD CAI filter oil based?
I have a TRD cold air intake that I installed myself and yes the filter is oil based.

I also have the Perrin non resonated catback.

As for performance gains I installed that catback about 2 weeks before the intake and I can definitely say that I noticed a bigger gain AFTER the TRD CAI was installed. I know there are people out there saying that TRD CAI sucks and other brands are better but I can say I am 100% happy with mine. Really it took 2+ weeks of the CAI being on my car before it felt good. I did an ECU reset after installing the CAI but I still think the computer needed a week or two to relearn.

On of my favorite things about the TRD CAI is the beautiful intake sound it makes especially when hauling @ss down the highway @90+mph. The design of the TRD CAI is great. Huge air box and removing all the extra nonsensical piping and sound tubes.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
flameSniper

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Garage
In for more forum member videos please! I am also considering the TRD CAI and Exhaust myself even though it's pricey. I've never had any exhaust systems installed before so I'm a little weary of it being too loud but it sounds like it's actually not that bad from the feedback so far...
flameSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Have TRD drop in filter and cat-back installed by dealer at time of purchase. Guessing about 10-12 whp added according to other posts with dyno results on the same subject.

Sound - Love the sound - Deep at start (1500 rpm), Quiet at idle (<1000 RPM), Quiet at quarter to mid throttle, Assertive at WOT.

Looks - Love the look - "D shaped" tips are unique amongst 86 exhausts, following the rear body line perfectly. TRD logo etched into sides (if you're into that).

Throttle response - Better than stock.

Other - Cost is amortized in car payment, dealer installed so doesn't affect warranty.

Dislikes:
Don't know if other similar spec'd catback + drop in filter options add more power, but I doubt it.

Anti-TRD snobs group these upgrades along with cosmetic TRD upgrades that do-nothing.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
theurbaninja (08-02-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I guess if you wanted more power and sound you could just get an aftermarket front pipe and over-pipe and that would surely add much much more power might even get 10+ whp. Either way its a good option.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang88_357mag View Post
I'll do a video of mine if you want
Yes please! That goes for anyone else generous enough to make a video of the exhaust or intake or both for the rest of us!
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
HotLavaMann
First 86 member

Drives: FRS, Tacoma, Honda CB1100
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ok, you guys convinced me. I've already got the TRD cold intake box and have debating whether to go with an Invidia or the TRD cat-back.
After reading this thread, I did a bit of price research and since they were about the same prices and I'm not looking for something too much louder than stock, I went with the TRD cat back.
Called up my local dealer and we talked price comparing it to what I can buy on EBay and they matched the price (not including tax but no shipping). It comes in tomorrow along with the new mid-tier touch screen radio. ($975 for exhaust, $525 for radio) I'll post my impressions after I get it installed and have driven it a bit. So talking to the parts guy at the local dealer pays off.
HotLavaMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
Fluxx

Drives: 2013 FR-S in Ultramarine
When I got my car they had a red FR-S with the TRD exhaust that I took out with a salesman while they were prepping my car for delivery. The TRD really isn't all that much louder, if at all, than stock. It does sound fantastic, and look better than stock. The piping of the system is the same diameter as stock, so don't expect power gains, you certainly won't feel it in the seat of your pants. For the price I didn't go for it. When I do start changing things out it will be for performance, and if TRD made a larger diameter or freer flowing system I'd certainly look into it. The sound is perfect.
Fluxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
For those of you who got your FR-S with the TRD exhaust and/or intake right from day one, or ordered it at the same time but had to get it installed afterwards, did the dealership keep your old parts, or did they give them to you to do whatever you want with? Or possibly they kept the parts and gave you some sort of credit for those parts in cash or some other things to make up for it?
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post:
NepeanFR-S (07-25-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchall30 View Post
Off topic here but is the TRD CAI filter oil based?
TRD filter in TRDs air box is dry K&N material style. I have this intake, no regrets at all. Btw I've heard the exhaust lots a few people have them in our club to me they are Definetely louder then stock by a fair chunk but as others have stated its not to point of "too loud". This is all subjective really I mean to "me" Greddy Evo and N1 are far too loud for my liking but to some they're just fine?

IMO if you are aimed at strictly stock layout the TRD would be the only choice and its a good one. If you are keeping the car longer term and are truthfully considering other exhaust mods such as font pipe, I over pipe, headers and such down the line you are better off with Perrin, q1, hks, lachute etc... In no particular order....

Best advice is source a local meet of FRS/brz owners and go to listen to others systems and make decision from there as the net videos are extremely deceiving to say the least.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
For those of you who got your FR-S with the TRD exhaust and/or intake right from day one, or ordered it at the same time but had to get it installed afterwards, did the dealership keep your old parts, or did they give them to you to do whatever you want with? Or possibly they kept the parts and gave you some sort of credit for those parts in cash or some other things to make up for it?
They goto a bin unless you request. Very Doubtfull you'll get any credit for them.
Only thing they credited me for was stock wheels and tires.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
TRD filter in TRDs air box is dry K&N material style.
Not sure how you could say it is dry unless there is more than 1 TRD CAI for the FR-S.

Mine was definatley oiled and this post does quite a good breakdown of the intake. The instructions that come with the intake kit even reference a K&N cleaning kit that includes oil to reapply to the filter after cleaning it.

TRD Intake Quick Look

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=839959
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Lav (02-04-2019)