follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Exhaust owners?

Name:  FRS_2012_TRD-Exhaust.jpg
Views: 18183
Size:  104.3 KB

For some reason, there's a serious lack of reviews/owners of this exhaust, at least from what I've discovered by searching everywhere.

I haven't heard the exhaust in person yet, and even though I already have it ordered with my FR-S that's coming in two weeks from today, I really want to know what I should expect. All the videos of this exhaust seem to vary too much in sound, so it's hard to judge which is closest to true life.

I've driven the car with the stock exhaust on test drives 3 times, and it sounds pretty decent. A lot louder than my mom's 08 Civic (did you know civic backwards is civic? ) that I currently drive while I wait for my car.

I'm just asking people who own this exhaust relative how much louder is the exhaust, and how much nicer (deeper, more aggressive, throaty, sportier) it sounds compared to the stock exhaust?

I just want owners' opinions, or anyone who's hear the exhaust in person and can be as objective as possible (though subjective is appreciated too. I'm not hard to please). Don't try to convince me to get another exhaust because I won't (not being pretentious, I just don't want to because I'm leasing the car and prefer TRD parts, even if they're a bit more expensive).

If you have the exhaust in combination with the TRD cold air intake, feel free to throw in your opinion on that as well, because my car will have both of those parts.

Thanks!
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post:
Lav (02-03-2019), theneptune86 (03-04-2021)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Sure the TRD exhaust is pricey but looks and sounds good. Quiet when DD nice tone when WOT and downshifting. I have Lachute but I would have been happy with the TRD stuff to. Ill be going FI by next year so I went aftermarket route etc..
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
theurbaninja

Drives: FR-S 6MT Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Subscribed.
I'm thinking of going the TRD route and would love a comparison to the stock exhaust.
theurbaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Is it quieter or about the same compared to another cat back exhaust?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's great! Not too loud but definitely notice the difference between stock.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
JK21

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It came with the FRS I bought.....I like it....might switch up though
JK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitoz3 View Post
It's great! Not too loud but definitely notice the difference between stock.
Loud enough to be noticed if I'm sitting in another car and an FR-S with the exhaust drives by, not revving too hard?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Im thinkin bout getting this. Kinda pricey tho
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
Im thinkin bout getting this. Kinda pricey tho
Mine got included in my monthly payments. Plus I got the $1000 rebate for being a high school grad so it's like I got it for free.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
travelmonkey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I like it. When I ordered my car it wasn't in stock so I had to wait about 2 weeks. The sound is deeper and isn't too loud. Stock exhaust is a bit "buzzier" but I don't get the drone with the TRD exhaust. A couple of FRS/BRZ owners I met asked to hear it and liked it. It's definitely not loud but it makes the car sound a bit better in my opinion. I like the way the exhaust tips look too
Attached Images

travelmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
Attachment 43425

For some reason, there's a serious lack of reviews/owners of this exhaust, at least from what I've discovered by searching everywhere.

I haven't heard the exhaust in person yet, and even though I already have it ordered with my FR-S that's coming in two weeks from today, I really want to know what I should expect. All the videos of this exhaust seem to vary too much in sound, so it's hard to judge which is closest to true life.

I've driven the car with the stock exhaust on test drives 3 times, and it sounds pretty decent. A lot louder than my mom's 08 Civic (did you know civic backwards is civic? ) that I currently drive while I wait for my car.

I'm just asking people who own this exhaust relative how much louder is the exhaust, and how much nicer (deeper, more aggressive, throaty, sportier) it sounds compared to the stock exhaust?

I just want owners' opinions, or anyone who's hear the exhaust in person and can be as objective as possible (though subjective is appreciated too. I'm not hard to please). Don't try to convince me to get another exhaust because I won't (not being pretentious, I just don't want to because I'm leasing the car and prefer TRD parts, even if they're a bit more expensive).

If you have the exhaust in combination with the TRD cold air intake, feel free to throw in your opinion on that as well, because my car will have both of those parts.

Thanks!

From dyno tests it doesn't yield much HP compared to other cat-backs but those are from the vendors mouths so I am not sure that is legitimate to trust. Nor did the TRD CAI only 2.5 whp from this test:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr4VBkHYVUc"]2013 Scion FR-S Intake: TRD Dyno Test - YouTube[/ame]

But so many things could be incorrect with those dynos. As for the sound its much more of a deeper rumble at idle so you know its TRD I heard one on an FRS here in PA and upon start up its much less tin canny than stock sound more unrestricted.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
Loud enough to be noticed if I'm sitting in another car and an FR-S with the exhaust drives by, not revving too hard?
Yes
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #13
racecat

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S MT
Garage
I love it. I test drove the only FR-S the dealer had with stock exhaust and it was alright, but I felt I'd made the right choice getting the TRD.

I was proven right when I started it for the first time. Hubba hubba!

I'm thinking about getting the TRD CAI as well. I've seen videos on YouTube where the CAI enhances the sound.
racecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had my TRD exhaust installed by a local shop and the owner of the shop complimented me on how nice the exhaust sounded. He said it was a nice rich sound and not over bearing. I can tell you that from driving with stock exhaust for about 3 weeks then the TRD it was like day and night. It might just be me but the car felt more aggressive. Performance wise I did not see an improvement but it just improved the driving experience.

Fast forward to last Friday. I installed the TRD air intake and wow. I'm sure other aftermarket performance pieces can be better/worst but I did not want to void warranty and somehow keep it stock. With the combo I find that performance has improved to a noticeable level. Take off is a lot smoother and faster on 3rd gear and above. Cabin sound is better and it's like the engine is your passenger. Not loud either so you can still have a conversation. Overall I'm really happy with the add ons and the car is so much of a joy to drive.
kALMIGHTY (07-09-2013), michaelosx (07-09-2013)