follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #29
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Late to the party -- why are we selling the BRZ?

Where is the wife's car? Are you also madated to have (2) 4-dr cars?

I went with a large vehicle my wife could easily drive (Forester first, second child Ford Flex). At the time, we had 2-kids and 2-dogs and traveled A LOT.

For myself, I was required to have a 4-door car as a backup (primary needs service -- everyone should fit). Went WRX --> Truck --> STi. The 2008+ WRX/STis fit this bill well.

Not sure your financial situation, but the BRZ can be a 3rd car. Else, if it is a financial situation, there are A TON of STis for 20-25k.

Let us know if you have additional variables and considerations.

Part of the choice is spending money wisely. Lightly used cars is a great idea. My 2016 STi is a CPO I got for less than the price of most new BRZs.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #30
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
In the realm of new cars, there's also the awd Regal. I actually got a TourX wagon version a few months ago. Brand new *2018* for 27ish. They didn't sell well last year so you should find some good discounts. And boy is "roomy" an understatement. Very different (I'd almost say completely opposite) from the twins obviously, but entertaining in it's own way.

And there's also the Subaru legacy.

Edit: Also, Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack if you don't mind a longer hatchback/short wagon.
I test drove a2016 Buick Regal GT and it felt great and was fast off the line.

I don’t recall if 2016 or2017 is the final year of previous edition. But they are sedans. Great sleeper car. And the depreciate like a GM car so get one for Quarter in the dollar. And lightly driven by fat suburban men going to golf club. Not abused. Check it out
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
If awd is requirement checj out forester or Mazda CX-5. Subaru is known for the quality of its awd and the Mazda is considered really good too. I read up on it a few years ago when in the market.

The seats in Subaru products mostly suck. BRZ excepted. And the alacantra seats in the old Legacy spec B were great. That alone knocked the forester out of the running. Wifey decided on Lexus Nx200t. We got great deal on cpo service loaner. Incredible seats. Aereated and so soft yet supportive. Can’t tell it’s fake leather

You could also check out a high trim Legacy sedan. Or outback.

Check back with us in 25-30 years when you are done making and raising babies to see what’s current in sports car scene.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #32
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm in the same position. Wife and I had a daughter in January. I kept the BRZ and bought a mint 04 WRX wagon. One owner, only 130k miles. The wife drives a 16 Outback Limited with the 3.6L H6. it's a wonderful motor. But my point is if you buy a cheap temporary baby hauler maybe you can hang on to the BRZ until the kiddo is a little older.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
dowroa (04-25-2019), ermax (04-26-2019), Pat (04-25-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #33
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I was in the same exact situation. Just sold my 2015 BRZ and tried to like the WRX so much, but ended up getting a Jetta GLI 35th AE manual instead (28.5k OTD, which I think is a bargain).

I was always scared of German reliability, but 6 years of warranty gave me enough confidence to jump ship.

Here's my first impressions:

- Much faster in a straight line with much less effort
- The engine is surprisingly responsive despite the turbo
- Has rev hang like most modern engines, I have no idea how Subaru manages to avoid it with the FA20 while meeting emissions standards and getting 100hp/l
- Has adaptive suspension, but still much softer than BRZ in any mode and has much more brake dive
- Brakes are very strong, but a little touchy
- Clutch throw is looong and I thought BRZ was too long to begin with
- Pain in the ass to heel and toe, brakes are so touchy that I need to brake really hard to reach gas pedal
- Transmission is much smoother than a BRZ or a WRX. You can actually throw it into 1st with no issues while the car is moving
- Looong gear ratios, couples well with the torquey engine
- Faster and lighter steering than the BRZ, less feedback but has variable steering ratio, which is really handy in tight turns

I test drove the WRX back in 2015 and I didnt like it because:

- Transmission was really notchy
- Interior was and still is terrible
- Turbo lag was really noticable at low RPMs. I think the EA888 is much better in that regard
- Had pretty noticable rev hang (worse than EA888 probably)
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #34
Norotor

Drives: '13 FRS '18 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have both a turbo twin and a 2018 wrx, picked up the base wrx under sticker for 25.5k after I bent the rods in my FRS' engine so I could drive something while I rebuild. Here's my opinion:

Sitting in the WRX it feels like a minivan in comparison because the seating position is very high, but as far as driving feel its nimble for its size/weight. The interior is just as plain as the twins, but you mention not needing modern interior features. They received an oem stock tune update after the 15's; it spools very fast with its twinscroll setup, but as mentioned in this thread it loses steam early in the powerband. The stock tune pulls timing all over the place. The shifter feels way worse than the twins, notchy 2nd and 3rd, with too much mushy movement between gates.

If you plan on modifying one, it can be just as expensive as turbocharging a twin, for FBO + Flex fuel on the wrx, for about the same amount of power, and the same amount of sketchiness with both engine's weak connecting rods. However Phatbotti tuning has an e30 ots tune now that gives around 320whp with ALL STOCK parts besides the e30 ots tune.

I plan on selling the WRX once my turbo twin is running well, and picking up something more comfortable as I don't need 2 uncomfortable ( but FUN ) modded cars. In your situation though, in one car I believe the WRX is a great compromise between fun and pracatical.
Attached Images

Norotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #35
Swaggrenox

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am so sorry for the late response and I'm very thankful for all your responses. I was out of town for 2 weeks and had all kinds of medical appointments with wifey. Everything seems fine so far

Back on topic, I live in Montreal and unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a private parking. I do have my backyard but never use it for parking. The snow is never plowed on the back alley so I gave up digging myself out. My BRZ is on the streets and my wife does not drive for whatever reason. Therefore, having more than 1 car is not an option for me. We have access to tons of public transit nearby and she rather not own a car because of maintenance and associated fees.

I do not own my current BRZ. My dealer got me a very good deal on my 39 months lease. I also chose the lease because I kinda predicted what was going to happen now, and knew back then that I can't keep my BRZ forever. Unfortunately, I didn't predict a baby so soon, and therefore I still have 15 months on my lease . Baby is due December so I still have a bit of time left (already planning my summer road trips). However, I don't want my pregnant wife to have trouble getting in and out of the car, so I will probably trade in my car with a year left on the lease.

This is another issue since I'll probably take a hit for returning the car so soon. If I stay with the same dealer, they might be able to waive off any extra fees.

Financially, a new WRX premium is not an issue, but with a new family member and increasing gas prices, I wouldn't go for anything more expensive.

Anyone have more experience with Outback vs Forester vs WRX vs Legacy ? I'll definitely test drive them all to have a general idea.

As for the other models, I will have to see how much penalty my current lease is before moving on so that is plan B.

Among your recommendations, I noted the awd Regal, CX5 and Jetta GLI 35th.

Thanks yall !
Swaggrenox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swaggrenox For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #36
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggrenox View Post
Hello,

I am so sorry for the late response and I'm very thankful for all your responses. I was out of town for 2 weeks and had all kinds of medical appointments with wifey. Everything seems fine so far

Back on topic, I live in Montreal and unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a private parking. I do have my backyard but never use it for parking. The snow is never plowed on the back alley so I gave up digging myself out. My BRZ is on the streets and my wife does not drive for whatever reason. Therefore, having more than 1 car is not an option for me. We have access to tons of public transit nearby and she rather not own a car because of maintenance and associated fees.

I do not own my current BRZ. My dealer got me a very good deal on my 39 months lease. I also chose the lease because I kinda predicted what was going to happen now, and knew back then that I can't keep my BRZ forever. Unfortunately, I didn't predict a baby so soon, and therefore I still have 15 months on my lease . Baby is due December so I still have a bit of time left (already planning my summer road trips). However, I don't want my pregnant wife to have trouble getting in and out of the car, so I will probably trade in my car with a year left on the lease.

This is another issue since I'll probably take a hit for returning the car so soon. If I stay with the same dealer, they might be able to waive off any extra fees.

Financially, a new WRX premium is not an issue, but with a new family member and increasing gas prices, I wouldn't go for anything more expensive.

Anyone have more experience with Outback vs Forester vs WRX vs Legacy ? I'll definitely test drive them all to have a general idea.

As for the other models, I will have to see how much penalty my current lease is before moving on so that is plan B.

Among your recommendations, I noted the awd Regal, CX5 and Jetta GLI 35th.

Thanks yall !
Being a car forum everybody likes to jump to performance cars but that isn't always the best answer.
You are correct in the thought that if you stick with the dealer they may give you a break on the lease fees so another Subaru may be a good plan.
You could also consider a new Impreza hatch. My wife has the 17 and it is very capable car even if not WRX fast. Be almost the perfect vehicle for getting around Montreal with a small family. Can't go wrong with any of the SUVs either.
Attached Images

DaBoBo21 (05-12-2019), Dadhawk (05-22-2020)
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #37
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I can definitely recommend the Outback but only if you go for the 3.6L H6. The base model with smaller H4 is not enough motor for a car that size. If you end up waiting until late summer or early fall the new 2020 Outback will be out and the XT model is fitted with the new 2.4L turbo. apparently it makes something like 40 more torques than the H6. that's pretty crazy...

In my opinion the Forester is a little too small. it works and LOTS of families have them but having owned both, I prefer the outback. The legacy is nice and they're well optioned. I had a legacy wagon at one time but I'd still take the Outback.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 AM   #38
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Well i just got spooked by my 5th valve spring recall letter and also my better half has knee problems and she can't get into a brz anymore.
So the valve spring recall is now a gamble for somebody else.
I traded the brz for a newish suzuki 4wd swb gv.
It was fun to have a brz for more than 7 years , but with car meets/clubs/charity meets/travel all closed , the fun is no more.

Last edited by alan.chalkley; 05-22-2020 at 04:35 AM.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #39
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Keep the BRZ go buy a used 4 door truck.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #40
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wife, baby
X2 on the outback or forester.
Easy back end loading of baby required stuff.

Evan better as second car.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #41
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
May I suggest some CPO KDM for you?
They're reliable, comfortable, drive great, and have style for days. And the twin turbo V-6 ones are pretty quick. 20-teens/20's Korean is the new 80's 90's Japanese car.
Genesis G70 and Kia Stinger:

Old 05-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #42
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Don't stress over it. You have your whole life to experience different cars. You're entering a chapter where the 86 isn't practical. There will be other chapters later on so don't lose your enthusiasm. There will be an ebb and flow of cars and experiences so enjoy the ride and don't get caught up in the moment
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote