follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A 4 point harness is a compromise and only a "look at me" mod for people who know no better.

A harness without a seat and cage is stupid.

If you want a harness get a 5 or 6 point (go 6 point, your nuts will thank you), and at the same time install a good fixed seat ( installed properly), and a half cage at a minimum.

You will now most likely lose some ability to head check when changing lanes, and dependant on your countries regulations, you car may now be illegally modified, thus lossing insurance cover and other stuff that may prove important in a street car.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
86zn6

Drives: White GTS then Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
A 4 point harness is a compromise and only a "look at me" mod for people who know no better.

A harness without a seat and cage is stupid.

If you want a harness get a 5 or 6 point (go 6 point, your nuts will thank you), and at the same time install a good fixed seat ( installed properly), and a half cage at a minimum.

You will now most likely lose some ability to head check when changing lanes, and dependant on your countries regulations, you car may now be illegally modified, thus lossing insurance cover and other stuff that may prove important in a street car.
Thanks. But I thought the Schroth Rallye 3 still allows you to use the factory seat belt on the street if need to. It’s not completely replace the factory system. But it allows to use it on the track so I won’t get throw around in the corner on the track. Am I right about this?
86zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #17
vadim.totskyy

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zn6 View Post
Thanks. But I thought the Schroth Rallye 3 still allows you to use the factory seat belt on the street if need to. It’s not completely replace the factory system. But it allows to use it on the track so I won’t get throw around in the corner on the track. Am I right about this?
That's right.

I have Rallye 3 ASM for track days and factory seat belts for daily driving. You can easily store Rallye belts under or behind stock seats.

The main benefit of Rallye belts is not being thrown around during hard cornering (saves back ache after full track day) and they are compatible with Simpson Hybrid harness.

You need to be careful with how you strap (shoulder straps last) to ensure ASM will work.

Its still a compromise though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
vadim.totskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vadim.totskyy For This Useful Post:
86zn6 (06-21-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #18
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
Yes and no. There's always situational differences. I haven't got a harness installed in this car yet but I had a Schroth quick fit pro in my previous car (doesn't quite fit the BRZ). It's a 4 point with ASM and street legal (in my area). Once the mounts are installed it's only 1 minute to fit or remove. I don't use it on the street as it's frankly unsafe (can't shift forward at tight intersections, etc) however I did use it on the track.

I agree that a 5 or 6 point is superior on track and especially with upgraded fixed seats. Unfrotunately in the local racing leagues it would have cost me performance points or straight up bumped me a class to upgrade the seats. Additionally the modifications for the harnesses would have made me illegal on the street.

Do I think the 4 point harness was safer than the stock belts? No not really.
So why after all of that would I bother to do it at all? With the stock belt I just couldn't get myself really stuck down in the seat. I had to do a lot of bracing to stabilize myself through the corners, over bumps, etc. This distracts you from fully focussing on the track, your line, and available grip. The only real upgrade (other than looks) provided by the 4 point was to plant my ass (and torso) securely in the seat.

EDIT: IIRC the only point that doesn't connect between the BRZ and the E46 (previous car mentioned) is the rear belt buckle. I may look at swapping out this buckle with one that would fit the harness (I don't have rear passengers and I would still mount it with the proper hardware or not o it at all) but if I were to do it all over again I'd try and pick a harness that would allow me to still use the stock belt on the street but also be compatible with HANS device on the track. Due to the ASM release on the quick fit pro I don't believe it was compatible with a HANS device.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #19
86MLR

I ran these in my MX5
http://www.proquip.com.au/products/cg-lock.html

Way better than a 4 point
Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
I ran these in my MX5
http://www.proquip.com.au/products/cg-lock.html

Way better than a 4 point
I've seen those before. They're definitely better than the stock 3 point on track but depending on the seat it may only keep your waist in place and not your shoulders. The schroth that I used had a tearaway plastic section on the inboard shoulder strap so in a big enough accident you'd rotate/shift forward similar to how you would with the stock 3 point, which provided the ASM protection.

To clarify because I may not have communicated it properly: DO NOT use a 4 point if it doesn't have some form of ASM (anti submarine) protection. Those are straight up dangerous.

This is the harness I used.
EDIT: Apparently Schroth says this harness was actually designed to be able to use a HANS device with stock seats.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #21
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
I've seen those before. They're definitely better than the stock 3 point on track but depending on the seat it may only keep your waist in place and not your shoulders. The schroth that I used had a tearaway plastic section on the inboard shoulder strap so in a big enough accident you'd rotate/shift forward similar to how you would with the stock 3 point, which provided the ASM protection.

To clarify because I may not have communicated it properly: DO NOT use a 4 point if it doesn't have some form of ASM (anti submarine) protection. Those are straight up dangerous.

This is the harness I used.
EDIT: Apparently Schroth says this harness was actually designed to be able to use a HANS device with stock seats.
That is a pretty acute angle from the top of the seat to the fixture point at the rear seat base.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...acing-harness/
Attached Images